Author Topic: Removing a bad review that clearly states the problem is not with the book?  (Read 714 times)  

Offline EmparentingMom

• View Profile
This morning I woke up to this three star review. While I understand the reviewer's frustration, I am obviously not thrilled:
"My review of the first five pages of this book is a 5 star. I'm giving it a 3 star because I signed up for Amazon Kindle at the same time I purchased the book, and have not yet figured out how to read the rest of this (and other books that I purchased from Amazon) on my iphone. Started out with a free 30 day trial. Was unable to read the three books I purchased on Amazon Tried to cancel it today 1/11 the day before trial ended on 1/12 but Kindle is still charging me for a full month, even though I cancelled the day before my trial ended. I'm sorry to vent my frustrations here on (...) review page, but I can't find any other avenue to express my concerns."

Anything I can do?

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
This morning I woke up to this three star review. While I understand the reviewer's frustration, I am obviously not thrilled:
"My review of the first five pages of this book is a 5 star. I'm giving it a 3 star because I signed up for Amazon Kindle at the same time I purchased the book, and have not yet figured out how to read the rest of this (and other books that I purchased from Amazon) on my iphone. Started out with a free 30 day trial. Was unable to read the three books I purchased on Amazon Tried to cancel it today 1/11 the day before trial ended on 1/12 but Kindle is still charging me for a full month, even though I cancelled the day before my trial ended. I'm sorry to vent my frustrations here on (...) review page, but I can't find any other avenue to express my concerns."

Anything I can do?
Well, there is a report abuse button beside the review you could try. Amazon might remove it, they might not. I know everyone says don't reply to reviews, but I think in this case you should leave a message telling them to please contact Amazon with their complaint and remove their non-review. They might, they might not. Either way, potential purchasers can see what's what so I wouldn't worry too much.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline LeeMountford

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Lee Mountford
Even if you want to contact Amazon regarding the review, I personally wouldn't leave a reply. Everyone will be able to see what the person's complaints are and that they are not about the quality of the book.

It can look a bit desperate when authors start replying. I've only done it once on Amazon, where a reviewer mentioned they were having trouble signing up to my mailing list (damn Mailchimp!) and even then I was in two minds whether to reply.

It sucks, I know, but it is what it is.

I'd contact Amazon and just leave it to them.

Then move on.

Up-and-coming horror author and future King of the World.
Lee Mountford | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Amazon Author Page

Offline EmparentingMom

• View Profile
Would you write to them on KDP or use the "report" button on the page?

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
Would you write to them on KDP or use the "report" button on the page?

Both.

Offline solo

• View Profile
Oh, disturbed reader. I suggest don't reply. The post speaks for itself. About replying, I do thank nice reviews. They did set aside time to write it. For the others, depends on my day.  :)
But troll comments get ignored. Unless the spelling is abominable - that gets a suggestion to improve it. That's the least I could do to improve the quality of the race.  ;D

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
Actually, this is one of the few times I WOULD reply. This is a technical issue to which you can actually help the customer.

I would post something like this:

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your subscription. Please note that authors have no control over Amazon and stating your concerns in the reviews won't get customer service's attention. However,...

...followed by an explanation of how to contact Amazon.

This is a CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUE for which you are able to provide customer service. If you stick to the actual issue, the customer may either remove the review herself or change it to 5 stars.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
I never thought I'd say this but....Yes! DO reply to THIS reader. But NOT to the review. Reply to their problems.

Say something like, "I read your review and I am really sorry you're having so many problems with the KU system. As an author, I can't solve the problem, but here are some steps you might take .... "

Then suggest they try submitting an email about the problem (give them the link...maybe there's a specific one just for KU) and clicking the box that says they'd like a personal call. Suggest they follow it up with more emails if it doesn't get resolved, more calls, maybe a request to talk to a supervisor if necessary... 

Be sympathetic and helpful and offer concrete suggestions (with links and numbers, if you have them). Then wish them luck and step out of it.

The only way I, as an author, would do anything about the review itself is to forward it to a rep and ask if THEY could find someone to help the poor reader because you know Amazon wants to make their customers happy and this person hasn't found the right way to contact them.

Be a nice guy. It might pay off, and you'd possibly be helping a fellow human being who's caught up in the craziness that snags us all at one time or another. And then....forget the review and move on.

ETA: I just saw Julie's post. Her point that it's a Customer Service problem is the critical key.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:12:20 PM by My Dog's Servant »