Author Topic: Amazon wouldn't lie to me, would they?  (Read 2355 times)  

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
Re: Amazon wouldn't lie to me, would they?
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 08:39:30 AM »
... and today I receive an email informing me customers have reported quality issues with my book, and how my book's detail page will have this notification until I resolve the errors, errors I've already resolved and reached out to them about.

:P

on a side note, i once came across a thread on people dealing with comcast. Apparently, after a certain period of time with a CSR you start costing the company money (you become a drain in their cost structure somehow). Not sure what the amount was, 15 minutes or something.

Anyway, some people were so annoyed with comcast they were calling them every day on their drive to work. So spending 30-60 minutes on the phone with them every single day hehe.

Maybe that's what you gotta do with amzon CSR. Just keep sending requests until the issue is fixed. Send an email every single morning with issues for them to resolve. At some point you're account will get flagged as chewing up too many hours of CSR resources and someone will try to actually fix your issue.  :P

Offline dancing squirrel

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 05:21:23 PM »
YES YES YES! They absolutely lie in cold blood and openly and when you catch them in the act and point it out, they lie some more.

This is a fact.

Offline Sarah Shaw

• Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 01:04:11 AM »
I've been in this situation, as have several of my friends. One was a pre-order where they incorrectly sent out the dummy file. Another was my own situation where I was trying to make sure purchasers of the first edition got the new second edition.

In *all* cases, Amazon said it had sent out the email but never did. I know because I checked with plenty of purchasers, as did my friends. And I had purchased it myself of course. No one got an email.

I asked Amazon a couple of times what happened but they didn't respond. My friend was more persistent and eventually got them to admit they never sent it, and then the email went out.

David, not only have I never gotten a notification from Amazon for an updated product but I'm pretty sure I've had first editions disappear from my kindle so that I had to buy the second edition, too. I can't absolutely swear to it, of course, (I do no record keeping of the books I buy) but I think that happened with one of your books, too.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 02:24:24 AM »
David, not only have I never gotten a notification from Amazon for an updated product but I'm pretty sure I've had first editions disappear from my kindle so that I had to buy the second edition, too. I can't absolutely swear to it, of course, (I do no record keeping of the books I buy) but I think that happened with one of your books, too.

Oh god, really? That is really bizarre.

There were so many screw-ups around the launch of Digital 2 it was crazy. The way it was supposed to work was like this: I uploaded the new edition over the old ASIN, and anyone who bought the old one could update to the new one for free. I asked Amazon before I did it and they said this was fine, how the system was supposed to work, even. And if the updates were more than a certain amount (something low like 10% or 20% of the content) they said they would even email all purchasers to let them know about the update.

Amazing, I thought, after pinching myself. Let's do that.

Obviously, I purchased a copy of my own book the second it went live so I would have received any supposed email. I never did and neither did anyone else who had purchased the book - but Amazon kept claiming they had sent it. Why lie about something you could so easily disprove? Beats me.

What was worse was that people who actually went into Manage My Kindle and tried to manually download the update... got the first edition with just the cover updated. THANKS AMAZON. Now everyone thought I was a lazy so-and-so who didn't update much in the book, when in fact two-thirds of it or something was brand new content. The only way that readers could get the new update pushed to their Kindle was to phone Amazon. I kid you not. And most of them never did that because they never knew they had to do this because Amazon never emailed them. *takes toaster for a bath*

The issue was never resolved. I burned through every contact I'd made at Amazon over the previous three years but I couldn't even get someone to reply to me, let alone help - when it was so easily in their grasp to do so, and in the obvious interest of their customers. Immensely frustrating, as you can probably gather.

So when releasing Digital 3 this week, I decided to avoid that hoopla, upload it under a fresh ASIN and just charge the minimum price so people could upgrade easily. And then Amazon hit me with a copyright warning because the book was similar to Digital 2, and yanked the book down without waiting for me to respond.

lolcry.
Stuff for writers thisaway