Author Topic: Part-time pulp fiction style novel completion time  (Read 339 times)  

Offline NewAuthorShannon

• View Profile
Part-time pulp fiction style novel completion time
« on: January 12, 2018, 12:02:58 PM »
Looking to hear from other part-time authors on this one.

About me : I'm just getting started writing and I am only able to commit about 15 - 20 hours per toward writing. I have a few more hours after that just to work on promotion and social media management. I'm going to be writing with a pulp fiction style mindset for now. I am just looking to get a lot of books out and I want to build an audience. I intend publish as frequently as possible and my genre is romance, with a sci-fi specific sub-genre.

My question : Every author is different but I am curious to hear how productive other part-time authors are. I am hoping to write and publish a 60,000 word book every two months or so.

Hopefully things will go well enough that I can reduce my hours at my "real" job and start writing more, but I have to start somewhere!

Offline Brian Drake

• Author of the Stiletto series
    • View Profile
    • Brian Drake At Large
Re: Part-time pulp fiction style novel completion time
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 03:23:10 PM »
Good luck. I'm planning a similar blitz myself but with titles around 45k words.

Brian Drake

Offline williammeikle

• Strong the force is...
    • View Profile
    • William Meikle
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 03:36:55 PM »
Should be doable. I was getting a 60,000 word novel done in two months when working full time... and you can always sneak a bit in at lunchtime :-)

"One of the premier storytellers of our time" - FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND
William Meikle | Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Free ebooks

Offline Kate.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 02:32:24 AM »
Give sprinting and/or dictation a try to see if they improve your productivity. If you have a limited number of hours each week, it can help immensely to increase your wordcount from, say, 1,000 per hour up to 2 or 3k per hour.

Good luck!

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac