KB Featured

by

$
Kindle Edition published 2016-12-10
Bestseller ranking: 265170

Product Description
Where is Adam?

Julie Raynes’ husband has been missing for six months. Devastated and confused, she refuses to believe that he would leave her voluntarily, though her best friend thinks differently. However, her Aunt Alice, a psychic, tells her Adam has been murdered, and when she reveals how she knows this, any hope that Adam is still alive, dissipates.

The police are also beginning to believe that Adam Raynes was murdered. And Julie is their prime suspect. Her life in ruins, Julie vows to hunt down whoever is responsible for Adam’s murder and make them pay for their crime.

In the meantime, David Gray, a young man who was pulled from a lake by a fisherman when he was 9 years old, wakens from a coma after nearly two decades. Unknown to Julie, Adam and David share a dark connection, a darkness that threatens to devour both of them, in a terrifying race with death.

Author Topic: Are blogs dead?  (Read 581 times)  

Offline mayatylerauthor

• View Profile
Are blogs dead?
« on: January 12, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »

Maya imagines. Maya muses. Maya writes.
Maya Tyler | Maya's Musings | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Anna Drake

• View Profile
    • Anna Drake
Re: Are blogs dead?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:32:10 PM »
I maintain an author blog and website because it's expected. I've never used them to gain an expanded readership. It seems most people who visit my website, or Facebook page for that matter, come to learn a little more about the author of the book they've just read.

Anna Drake | Website | Twitter | Amazon | Facebook

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:38:29 PM »
Kinda. Seems like Twitter/Facebook are better places to engage with readers and other writers.

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 03:27:47 PM »
A regular blog of engaging or entertaining material will always be a part of your platform to keep your website ticking over. It's revenue-generating blogs "professional bloggers" if you like that are becoming too numerous and a bit tired that are waning.
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Offline Skip Knox

• Richland, Washington
    • View Profile
    • Altearth
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 04:05:15 PM »
Did you notice the evidence that was presented? The argument that was constructed thereon?

Yeah, neither did I. Just another blog post announcing the demise of blogs.

Offline randallcfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 04:13:55 PM »
It's all about the purpose. There is more than one way to use a blog - and a lot of blogs are used to help leverage backend services that the blogger offers - courses, books, seminars, t-shirts, mugs ... among other things.
Gryphus: 47%
Fiction Site | Writing Tips

Offline LovingLife139

• Cincinnati, Ohio
  • War. War never changes.
    • View Profile
    • Rosie Scott's Book Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »
They certainly aren't as popular as they used to be. I started my blog over five years ago and it seemed to draw followers more back then. Nowadays, I do get a lot of views from readers clicking to check on updates from my Amazon author page, and a lot of readers seem to like all the bonus content I keep up with. I have fan art, timelines, bonus content, excerpts, fun facts and Easter eggs, glossaries, lore information, writing inspirations, and more. People seem to like all of this and it gets a lot of views. You'd never know it because people just don't follow like they used to. They'll scrounge around on the website for a while, but I hardly ever get new followers. There's the ability to follow through an account or just email, so it can't be because of inconvenience.

Like Anna said, I doubt my readership grows because of this blog, but the readership I do have seems to love digging through extra content, so I upkeep the blog for them. I also do it because I like having somewhere to keep all this extra information to look over myself. Over time, the vast amount of content only grows, reminding me of all the things I've accomplished through my career. A well put-together blog is rewarding to have.

The article mentions the rise of social media as kind of the replacement for blogs. I agree with this, but I also don't participate in it. I deleted my Facebook account back in 2009 and am not keen on starting a new one. I have a Twitter account, but I don't use it for marketing purposes. I belong to no other social media. This may put me at a disadvantage, but I don't really care. The more I interact with the people who develop the video games I enjoy or make the music I like, the more I find I shouldn't. I can't separate the art from the artist as much as I try. I avoid most communication not only so I can continue to enjoy things, but so my readers can hopefully continue to enjoy my books.

Dystopian/sci-fi/fantasy. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Blog | GoodReads | Release Mailing List

Offline vstewart

• Voracious reader, habitual writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:03:24 PM »
I've been blogging regularly since 2001. I enjoy a wide and loyal audience. I've seen a million 'blogging is dead' articles in my time.  ::)
The advent of Facebook and Instagram certainly impacted blogging, but it still has a place in the world. Lots of people are tired of magazine-style blogs or lifestyle blogs that are monetized up to the earlobes. Medium did so well because people wanted stories again.

I think blogs work when they either fill a certain niche for content (eg: writing about tech or baby gear or novel writing, etc.) or when they tell interesting and personal stories. My blog is the latter type.

I think blogs can be an important tool for an author, but when blogs are built solely to try and sell books, you won't build a loyal readership. Author blogs I follow are real.  They write about their lives, how exhausting it is to be on tour, their thoughts about politics (dangerous, because this can be divisive), their kids, their hobbies, etc. When I love an author's work, I'm eager to hear about other aspects of her life. It's certainly great if she posts updates about new releases or whatever, but it that's ALL her blog is, then it's boring.

Offline mayatylerauthor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »
A regular blog of engaging or entertaining material will always be a part of your platform to keep your website ticking over. It's revenue-generating blogs "professional bloggers" if you like that are becoming too numerous and a bit tired that are waning.

That's a good point. My blog is funI talk about my books and host other authorsbut I post about writing, my life, writing samples. And I certainly do not make any money from it! lol

Maya imagines. Maya muses. Maya writes.
Maya Tyler | Maya's Musings | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Twitter | Newsletter

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac