Author Topic: Kindle Scout  (Read 168 times)  

Offline fpainestam

• View Profile
Kindle Scout
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »
Hi!

As a newbie (about to become) as a writer of and publisher of fiction, I am looking for some useful feedback on the Kindle Scout Program. Is there anyone out there who has participated in the program, or who otherwise has some knowledge of it? What little I've been able to find seems as if it could be a good thing, especially for someone just starting out. I'd be grateful for any input.

Many thanks in advance. Frank Paine

Offline Brian Drake

• Author of the Stiletto series
    • View Profile
    • Brian Drake At Large
Re: Kindle Scout
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 03:21:02 PM »
I know a few people on here have been selected; I'm not one of them, but I have another title up for voting starting this weekend. Go for it. It's fun and you might get picked.

Brian Drake

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Kindle Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:59:12 PM »
You can find lots of info at https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,213112.0.html. The thread started when Scout did, and its 950 pages long, so you probably want to start near the end, but there is considerable information.

Briefly, Scout is a fast way to be considered for a publishing contract. Only about 3% of submissions end up being published by Kindle Press, but the process can be beneficial in terms of creating more exposure for your new release, even if you don't get accepted and instead release it through KDP. My first Scout reject was by far the strongest new release ever. My second one was only OK, in part because I didn't time my campaign well and ended up having to wait a month or so after the end of the campaign to release in order to avoid Christmas. That may have lost me some momentum.

Kindle Press is an Amazon imprint, but it seems less well-funded than the others. Think of it as a small publisher. Like other small publishers, it doesn't promote all books in the same way, so a book published with them may or may not be a success. However, they have easy rights reversion terms, so if it doesn't work out, you can get control of the book again fairly easily. Royalties are good, and the process itself is typically well run. Also, through February authors whose books are shortlisted get some nice editorial feedback. I found that helpful.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter