Kadaxis LLC

Author Topic: Music While Writing  (Read 1892 times)  

Offline D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
Re: Music While Writing
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 12:47:41 PM »
Movie scores from some of my favorite composers:  James Horner, Danny Elfman, James Newton Howard, Hans Zimmer, Steve Jablonsky, Harry Gregson-Williams, John Debney...just too many to count.

It just can't be anything with lyrics because then I'll sing along with it instead of allowing it to soak into my psyche.

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 01:28:16 PM »
Kpop or instrumental music. Can't listen to music with words I can understand :D

Offline williammeikle

• Strong the force is...
    • View Profile
    • William Meikle
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »
I regress to my youth, and things I know so well that they wash over me. Today, it was WISHBONE ASH 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9nDDUMFIkw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9nDDUMFIkw</a>

"One of the premier storytellers of our time" - FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND
William Meikle | Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Free ebooks

Offline Eric S. Kim

• Southern California
  • Keep Writer's Block in the Friend Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »
When it comes to Fantasy and Science Fiction, there are various rock songs that get me going. But at the same time, classical music also helps stimulate the senses. There are several pieces that I consider "staples" when writing, mostly because they seem appropriate for these two genres.

Hector Berlioz, Te Deum
Maurice Durufle, Requiem
Modest Mussorgsky, Pictures At An Exhibition
Richard Strauss, An Alpine Symphony
Ralph Vaughan Williams, A Pastoral Symphony
Richard Wagner, The Ring Cycle
Blackjack Troopers (Quintana's Campaign, Book One): 80%

Ways of the Wild (Quintana's Campaign, Book Two): 0%

Offline Michael Alan Peck

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
    • MichaelAlanPeck.com
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 01:57:49 PM »
Ambient/drone exclusively. Stars of the Lid, Tim Hecker, Kyle Bobby Dunn, Brian Eno (only his ambient stuff for writing music), Eluvium, Hammock, William Basinski, and Loscil. If you want to give some of this type of thing a try without laying out any initial cash, I also highly recommend Moby's Long Ambients 1, which he's made available for free on his site: http://moby.com/la1/

Michael Alan Peck | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2018, 05:38:46 PM »
I don't recommend writing to John Williams, unless you want all your sentences to end with !!!

Ken Ward

Offline Stagewalker

• Kissimmee Florida
    • View Profile
    • Stagewalker Enterprises
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 07:03:14 PM »
The sound of silence, all too rare in my daily life, is the best for my writing.

Robert H. Cherny

Offline BethW

• View Profile
    • Book-Promos.com
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 06:55:55 AM »
I agree with the comments about instrumental music. Somehow words, even in other languages, distract me.

I much prefer instrumental and soundtrack music.

Spotify has quite a good selection of playlists that fit the bill.
Romance and Fantasy Author since 2015
Part of the Book-Promos.com team: Bringing readers closer to your books Running promos on BrazenBookshelf.com and GeektasticBooks.com

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 07:11:41 AM »
Another vote here for movie soundtracks. I wrote what I consider one of my best books to the soundtrack of "Titanic" (James Horner). But I listen to music all day, every day. I'm a musician myself, and my preference is complex (not heavy) prog rock... Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree for example, although I AM unashameable the world's Number One, card-carrying Toto fan. But when I'm writing it needs to be familiar music. Anything new or interesting can drag my attention away.

But a big part of this is that if I didn't have music playing, I'd be imagining it. Trying to shut up the racket in my brain is hard. Writing and listening to music seems to shove most of the "noise" into a corner of my head somewhere.
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Offline DDEric

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 07:52:21 AM »
Spotify's "Chill Lofi Study Beats" and "NO LYRICS - STUDY" playlists are great for that

Offline C. Michael Wells

• Kansas City, MO
    • View Profile
    • C. Michael Wells
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »
I enjoy listening to movie soundtracks, usually by Hans Zimmer (Man of Steel, Inception, Interstellar, Dark Knight) or John Williams (Episode III is my favorite soundtrack). The Fury Road soundtrack is also pretty good.

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »
I listen to instrumental pieces on a loop. Looped music helps me get into a flow state, similar to a Buddhist chant.

Current selection:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYelEUVQ50g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYelEUVQ50g</a>

I require harder music for non-writing tasks (creating FB ads, auditing AMS ads, etc.). My current favorites follow:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5crMuGt6duU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5crMuGt6duU</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB-3tC7vBnc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB-3tC7vBnc</a>

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
    • Guy Riessen Author of Dark Fiction
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »
Yeah, Brain.fm is surprisingly good. Maybe I should resubscribe.

Yup brain.fm. I picked up one of their lifetime membership deals for a song.

Seriously though, folks... Cinematic focus is what I usually listen to, though I vary that by my own mood. Any of their focus streams works for me--even up to a full two hour stint

Guy Riessen | website

Offline D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2018, 12:00:15 PM »
although I AM unashameable the world's Number One, card-carrying Toto fan.

I could probably give you a run for your money on this one.

Offline ilamont

• Mass.
    • View Profile
    • In 30 Minutes Guides Official Site
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 12:36:59 PM »
Instrumental music only, as I've found music with words distracts me too much - I could say music in languages I don't speak, which used to work, but the more languages I've learned the more difficult that is. I wrote most of Salem's Witches while listening to celtic music, while most the first draft of my current project was written listening to Tchaikovsky.

Me too, with one exception: For some reason, late at night, I can listen to Tool's Lateralus or 10,000 days and it really helps me power through writing or research projects.

Otherwise, it's classical stations (Alexa, play WCRB or Classical Vermont or Classical Wyoming) or some playlists I have featuring classical, ambient, or Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 02:15:45 PM »
I love public TV and classical music. No commercials! They knock me out of my flow.

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Online C.Cross

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 02:55:30 PM »
This is a kind of embarrassing admission, but if you listen, you might just agree with me that Justin Bieber is the best music to write to.

Back in 2010, a guy slowed down JBieb's track U Smile by 800%, and the result is this epic, ambient 35 minute long piece of sound. I use it as my Pomodoro timer and have a stretch once it's up.

Listen here: https://soundcloud.com/mesiuepiescha/justin-bieber-u-smile-slowed-down-800

I tend to only listen to music while writing if I'm in a public place, usually when I'm writing at home everyone has gone to bed and it's nice and quiet.

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »
I have a pretty large Youtube playlist of music that I've labelled Music For Writing. It ranges from soft instrumental to classical to epic war music, depending on what I'm looking to convey during the writing session. All the videos are hours long, some are even Live and go on for hours. I can write without music, but I seem to lose myself in the story if there is some background music playing. It's quite easy to write for hours under those circumstances.
The Wrath - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2 (gone to editor): 100%

Crossing The Veil (July Camp NaNoWriMo): 37%

Brownies & Bullets: 20%
I shall destroy everything you love and then rip your beating heart from your chest! Yeah? Bring it jackass!
D Glenn Casey | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 04:43:56 PM »
The sound of silence, all too rare in my daily life, is the best for my writing.

I can do that, but only during late night writing sessions. The back of my house faces a decently busy street and I can hear the traffic going by, especially during rush hours. So during the day, I use the music to drown out the sounds of the cars going by. And Honey Bunny still can't figure out why I want to buy a small piece of land, in the country, with a small 3/2 home, where there might be five cars go by each day. She likes the city. I could ditch the city in a heartbeat and never look back.
The Wrath - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2 (gone to editor): 100%

Crossing The Veil (July Camp NaNoWriMo): 37%

Brownies & Bullets: 20%
I shall destroy everything you love and then rip your beating heart from your chest! Yeah? Bring it jackass!
D Glenn Casey | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com

Offline nick74

• Ft Worth
  • Write like you want a migraine. But don't get one.
    • View Profile
    • NKBooks
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »
Lately, I've been Youtube'ing "Epic Instrumental" and selecting any one of the slew of great 3 and 4 hour long cinematic track collections that populate. Always refreshing and always surprising. Plus NO LYRICS!

Nick Keller | Website | FaceBook | Twitter

Offline Meglor The Terrible

• Chicago
    • View Profile
    • MC Tregler - Professional Website
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2018, 05:07:06 PM »
Most often, I can't concentrate with noise in the background. If anything, I'll occasionally put on an ambient station on Google Music - the kind of stuff you hear in hotel lobbies.
There is nothing more demoralizing than a small but adequate income. - Edmund Wilson

Online C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 06:23:10 PM »
I can't write without music that fits the mood of the scene. So I usually search for long (hour +) youtube playlists with the style of music I need, and leave them running until I'm done for the day. Here's one (though I usually prefer playlists without video ads): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DbtPqt3Dnk

Epic music / dark epic is my standard go-to music genre, but I occasionally switch to vocal trance. Some of my characters have soundtracks of their own.

Radiant: Angel by R. Armando Morabito - the first track in the playlist above
Dancer & DJ: Fireflies by Lange & Cate Kanell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhrQJkgPwA

& others I can't remember without consulting my lists. It's safe to say I've listened to thousands of hours worth of music on youtube.

Olivia Rising

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 08:29:57 PM »
Radiohead.

Ken Ward

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 08:36:41 PM »
Complete operas in foreign languages. Doesn't matter if I know the language (sort of) or the story, as long as it's not atonal music or Mozart. His harpsichord stuff makes me twitchy.