Author Topic: Do you still consider yourself an Indie author?  (Read 2139 times)  

Online Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
Do you still consider yourself an Indie author?
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:09:33 AM »
http://blog.smashwords.com/2017/12/2018-book-industry-predictions.html

Mark Coker wrote an interesting article that has many ideas to think about. He implies that authors that put their books in KU are dependent authors instead of independent authors. It is true that these authors are required to be exclusive so are dependent on Amazon for revenue.

They are still Indie authors since they can leave Select after 90 days and go wide. The problem is going wide is not as great as it used to be. So many authors stay put where they can get money each month.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:11:44 AM by Sam Rivers »
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.

Robert A. Heinlein

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
Re: Do you still consider yourself an Indie author?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:27:59 AM »
I consider myself an entrepreneur. I follow opportunity.

"Indie author" is a title that's becoming less meaningful each year.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:35:16 AM »
Absolutely.  I decide my schedule, my release dates, my prices, my avenues of distribution...that's independent.  Amazon has some great ways of promoting books, but I own the business and make the decisions.

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Online NikolasTorVald

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:56 AM »
I feel like independent has more to do with you owning the rights to everything you have, so you can choose at any time what happens to it. If KU forced a lifetime commitment then I feel it would no longer be Indie. But since there's always the opportunity to leave I don't think it impacts the definition at all.

Nikolas TorVald | nikolastorvald.com

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 09:56:52 AM »
Absolutely.  I decide my schedule, my release dates, my prices, my avenues of distribution...that's independent.  Amazon has some great ways of promoting books, but I own the business and make the decisions.
Bingo. Putting something on their store doesn't make us any less indie.

Online MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:27:22 AM »

Mark Coker wrote an interesting article that has many ideas to think about. He implies that authors that put their books in KU are dependent authors instead of independent authors. It is true that these authors are required to be exclusive so are dependent on Amazon for revenue.

They are still Indie authors since they can leave Select after 90 days and go wide. The problem is going wide is not as great as it used to be. So many authors stay put where they can get money each month.

I appreciate all Mark has done for self-publishing, but he isn't exactly unbiased when it comes to his posts about Amazon.

Online G.L. Snodgrass

• View Profile
    • G.L. Snodgrass
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
If I used Smashwords to distribute my books. Would that mean I was dependent upon Smashwords and therefore not an Indie Author.

Articles like this are ridiculous. What a business man thinks about people who don't use his business is biased, misinformed and just plain stupid. I do what is in my best interest, not Mark Corker's. I can do that because I am independent and not reliant on what someone else says is best for me.

For years now, people have been saying I was stupid/wrong/evil for using KU. If I had listened to them I would have lost over $200K. Their advice and condemnation was/is wrong for me. That is what I love about being Indie. I don't have to listen to them and can do what I want. What better definition of Indie is there?

G.L. Snodgrass | G.L. Snodgrass

Offline Rick Partlow

• Central Florida, USA
    • View Profile
    • The Science Fiction of Rick Partlow
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
The article is a load by someone in whose interest it is to criticize Amazon.  If Amazon owned the long-term rights to my books, I would be a contracted author.  Since all you agree to is a 90-day term, Mark's assertions are beyond ludicrous.  It's akin to saying that, since you have to give 30 days notice to break your lease at an apartment, you work for the company that owns the apartment.

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 10:50:05 AM »
I don't even consider myself an author, much less an indie author. I've written some books, sold some books, have some fans... but I still don't consider myself an author.

To me, the title of "author" I reserve for the day when I have enough fans/readers that I know I can write for the rest of my life. I kind of see it as a professional moniker, not just something someone gets because they wrote a book. So until then, I'm just some guy writing books in the hopes that people will like them.

But I do agree with Mark's sentiment... if you're beholden to single vendor, you really aren't independent. Whether or not you chose that is another debate (is it really a choice if you can't sell elsewhere and make money?).

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »
I consider myself a Jedi knight. I'm always looking for a lightsaber.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Rosie A.

• Washington, U.S.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
If I used Smashwords to distribute my books. Would that mean I was dependent upon Smashwords and therefore not an Indie Author.

Articles like this are ridiculous. What a business man thinks about people who don't use his business is biased, misinformed and just plain stupid. I do what is in my best interest, not Mark Corker's. I can do that because I am independent and not reliant on what someone else says is best for me.

For years now, people have been saying I was stupid/wrong/evil for using KU. If I had listened to them I would have lost over $200K. Their advice and condemnation was/is wrong for me. That is what I love about being Indie. I don't have to listen to them and can do what I want. What better definition of Indie is there?
Agreed. Well stated.
20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website

Offline Anna Drake

• View Profile
    • Anna Drake
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »

This!!

Anna Drake | Website | Twitter | Amazon | Facebook

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 12:23:34 PM »
I've sold some works to digital presses, print publishers, and audio publishers, while self-publishing others. I have self-pub books both in and out of KU. Labels aren't important to me but since I work for myself I generally say I'm independent, or sometimes hybrid. I identify most with the term "writer" and/or "publisher".

Online Tizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 12:45:30 PM »

This could be heavily contested. Many authors in this forum will say the opposite, that KU isn't as great as it used to be. As for "depending on Amazon" making you an indie or not, if you go wide you'll still depend on Google, Apple, Kobo, B&N, etcetera. You will always depend on something, and it's not how many things you depend on what makes you an indie. Nobody is 100% independent - even if I was to sell my novel only on my website, I'd depend on it. So using semantics to say some authors are indie and others aren't won't work.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 01:15:23 PM »
As for "depending on Amazon" making you an indie or not, if you go wide you'll still depend on Google, Apple, Kobo, B&N, etcetera. You will always depend on something, and it's not how many things you depend on what makes you an indie. Nobody is 100% independent - even if I was to sell my novel only on my website, I'd depend on it. So using semantics to say some authors are indie and others aren't won't work.

A vendor with one customer has no independence at all. A vendor with fifty customers does. A vendor with one huge customer and six small ones is better off than the first guy but not nearly as free as the second. That's where I am, and I'll try almost anything to increase the ratio of small customers, because I know we are doomed if they go away.

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 01:23:01 PM »
I'm a contrarian who resists being pigeonholed. :)

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »

I have found this not to be true. I wonder why you say it?

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 04:27:04 PM »
Good grief. I just eyerolled. Use Select to get exposure and gain readers. When/if that avenue dries up, go wide. What's the big deal? I don't get the extreme hate on Select to the point of denigrating authors who use it as somehow less than those who go wide.

I use Select. I'm not a slave to it or less of an indie author because I CHOOSE a marketing strategy that will make me MORE MONEY and gain readers than going wide right off the bat would. Select is a choice that makes sense to me at this time for my business model. If you don't like it, go wide. I don't hate on authors who are wide. Why should they hate on me for being in Select?

Offline RH Tucker

• So Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 06:23:22 PM »

Haven't read the article, but doesn't that mean no matter where we go we'd not be considered independent. If we use Smashwords, D2D, Kobo or the like, by that line of thought, we're still not independent.  ::)

Yep.  ;D

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 07:07:23 PM »
I like Mark Coker and Smashwords, but I don't agree with this particular article. And besides, I'm wide anyway. So yes, I definitely consider myself an indie author.

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »
I don't consider my independence based on where I sell books.

I could be selling them at weekend crafts fairs out of the trunk of my car and never even have them up for sale anywhere else. Does that make me independent? I guess it could, but I haven't gone that route. What makes me independent is that I am the only one who decides whether a story of mine gets published and all the details of how it gets published. If I liked crowds, I'd probably enjoy the selling-out-of-my-trunk experience much more than I enjoy constantly refreshing my KDP tab.

Online K'Sennia Visitor

• It's a Secret. Shh!
  • I've got an idea!
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 07:56:24 PM »
 In my procrastinating opinion, anyone who still owns their work after publication is an indie, regardless of how many places they publish it.

Online Tizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 10:30:31 PM »
In my procrastinating opinion, anyone who still owns their work after publication is an indie, regardless of how many places they publish it.

This is basically what indie means across most markets, can't see why some people want to apply a different logic to it when it comes to the ebook market by arguing semantics. In gaming an indie company is one that isn't tied to the big publishers (EA, Bethesda, Warner, Square...) no matter in how many places they sell their games. In music an indie band is one that isn't signed up to a major label, no matter where or how they sell their music. In cinema an indie filmmaker is one that isn't making films for major Hollywood studios, no matter where or how their films are being shown or sold. Why should it be any different for writers? An indie writer is one who isn't contractually tied to the big five. Plain and simple. Where they choose to offer their work makes no different to their independent status.

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 10:45:44 PM »
Until I start advertising/promoting I consider myself a hobbyist. :P
Blood Cauldron (DoH book 3) going to the editor now: 99%

Havenglade Mysteries (Book 1): 38%
H.C. Harrington

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 10:52:08 PM »
I appreciate all Mark has done for self-publishing, but he isn't exactly unbiased when it comes to his posts about Amazon.
This.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More