Author Topic: Cover feedback - military SF  (Read 656 times)  

Offline BrentNichols

• Calgary
    • View Profile
    • coolseriescovers.com
Cover feedback - military SF
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:39:40 AM »
I can't be objective about my own covers. Please let me know what you think.

Online abgwriter

• Florida, USA.
    • View Profile
    • Riddles, Rumors and Rhymes
Re: Cover feedback - military SF
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:48:23 AM »
The black background bothers me. I feel it takes away from the impact of the ship because it makes it look more like a 3D model than an actual ship. Adding a simple stars background should fix it, specially if you play with the lighting in the ship to blend it a little. The other thing is the text, that green of the subtitle is really bright. It leaves a disconnected impression with the rest of the covers that sport darker, duller colors.

Arel B. Grant | Cover Design | Writing Blog | Newsletter

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 12:00:42 PM »
I agree with the above, although I do like the covers.  I seem to always like spaceships.

Floyd Looney

Offline SA_Soule

• Northern CA
  • Author, Creativity Coach, & Avid Reader
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 12:33:39 PM »
I think the bright green font looks odd and nothing seems like it blends very well. I would remove the block behind the green series title.

Offline Flee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 12:40:23 PM »
FWIW I'd buy them.

Flee

F. Lee

Offline Benjamin Douglas

• Iowa
  • Reading :) Riting :) Rithmatic :(
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Douglas Books
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 02:25:49 PM »
I do like the look of 2 and 3 more than 1--prolly has to do with them having some stardust behind the ships.

If you're MARRIED to "green," I might suggest something a little darker or warmer. The green in the series title as it stands seems out of place to me. But meh. Better than my covers!

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 02:49:44 PM »
It's serviceable. It has the elements you'd expect from a military science fiction cover, but it lacks that something special that catches the eye. I don't know if you have the skill to pull it off, but you could look at some of Jay Allan's or Daniel Arenson's covers (for his Earthrise series). To me, those are covers that are very much to market.

To my eye, your backgrounds just aren't interesting enough.

Ryan W. Mueller | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Online Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »
I agree with others on the green text and black BG in the first cover are off-putting. A ship's natural habitats usually involve stars; adding them, or any other space-related element, would help.

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 04:08:41 PM »
The neon green and maroon stripe make the covers look ugly. Those colors clash and need to be changed to something that will blend better. And ditch the stripe--I don't see popular covers using that.

The first cover needs a star background.

The second cover the background atmosphere matches the ship color so they tend to blend in too much rather than creating interesting contrast. I kind of want there to be lights down there or something to indicate a populated planet rather than random background gasses. It's not bad as it is, but it could use a little more. Or, if that's a nebula, then it could use some back lighting to filter through the less dense gas clumps.

The third cover, the planet is another unlit planet. I like how the darkness contrasts with the ship yet they are both the same color. However, what's with the atmosphere coming off the planet on the left side? Here I'd expect to see star background of space, not blue stuff emanating from the planet. If that's supposed to be a nebula, then make it a different shade that compliments the blue but contrasts enough that we can tell it is a nebula. Also, I'd add city lights to the planet unless it is really supposed to be uninhabited.

There's too much sameness in color with the ships and their backgrounds in covers 2 and 3. This is why they seem boring even though the ships themselves are very nicely detailed. Add a touch of another color and these should perk right up.

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 05:03:44 PM »
I'd go with #3, if only because the ship in the other two is an over-used stock image. I know because I almost used it myself.

I also agree that a lack of stars looks odd.

Offline Tim C. Taylor

• Bromham, England
  • author & publisher
    • View Profile
    • Human Legion
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 02:15:15 AM »
I agree with the comments on backgrounds and using the same stock image for the first two books. I think the typography for the title and your name are excellent and fit the genre well. I like the green and I think that it is very useful to have your books looking like popular books in your genre but then have a small element that makes them distinct. Given the link to your series title, I think the green is the way to go. Although I think the idea is spot on, it does look a little 'stuck on'. You have some colour gradients and texture on your title and name. I'd play with those techniques on your series title so that it still pops in a thumbnail, but feels more blended in. Good luck.

Bestselling author of military science fiction and space opera
Tim C. Taylor | The Human Legion | Personal Homepage | Greyhart Press

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 04:42:30 AM »
I'm not convinced by the smaller 'of'. I feel it unbalances the title.
I also agree about the plain black background.

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Offline BrentNichols

• Calgary
    • View Profile
    • coolseriescovers.com
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 08:27:13 AM »
Thanks, everybody. I appreciate the feedback. I'll post version 2 in a few days.