Author Topic: LOOKING for scene OPINIONS...  (Read 410 times)  

Offline Dean Kutzler

• Philadelphia
  • Holy Space Opera - The Scarab Reign's Coming!
    • View Profile
    • Philadelphia's Thriller Author Dean Kutzler
LOOKING for scene OPINIONS...
« on: January 13, 2018, 06:12:10 PM »
Hey guys! I'm really loving Kboards! I feel like I'm no longer all alone, sitting at my dining room table with no one to turn to for guidance! Everyone's been really awesome. I only wish I'd participated sooner! I'm all about caring & sharing, and do my best to help others lower on the ladder in their writer-journeys! I finally found a place with that in abundance for me!

So...the opinion needed.

I have two ways to go in this juncture of my novel. My characters are stuck on a planet and I'm faced with throwing them one of two ways of getting to freedom.

1) They can fight (and figure out new things) through three wards. Each less desirable that than the last.

Or...

2) They can go through 3 tests in order to receive a ship to freedom. The tests would be themed trials.

In your opinions, which do you think the readers would enjoy most?

I'm stuck. I've plotted it with the 3 tests, but it was hard (forced) when I came to the tests and now that my characters have lives of their own, as I'm sure many have, I've veered a little off plot course. Which is fine, because I love when that happens and the writing is better.

Thanks in advance, guys!  ;D
Space Opera Trilogy: 29%

Valentine\'s Day Surprise, A Roman Mystery: 80%

Jack Elliot Series Book 3: 0%
Holy Space Opera - The Scarab Reign is Coming! Grab Your Batteries And Hide!
Dean Kutzler | Website | Blog | Reader's Group | Facebook | Twitter | Google Plus | Goodreads

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: LOOKING for scene OPINIONS...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 06:29:15 PM »
My question would be, what would be the motive of the person forcing them to undergo these tests, and why would they then give them a ship as a reward? Unless there's a compelling reason for that to happen, I think them fighting for their freedom would feel much more organic. I hope that was helpful. :)

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 02:17:36 AM »
Hey guys! I'm really loving Kboards! I feel like I'm no longer all alone, sitting at my dining room table with no one to turn to for guidance! Everyone's been really awesome. I only wish I'd participated sooner! I'm all about caring & sharing, and do my best to help others lower on the ladder in their writer-journeys! I finally found a place with that in abundance for me!

Aw, shucks, man.  *bro hug*

My characters are stuck on a planet and I'm faced with throwing them one of two ways of getting to freedom.

I can sympathize.  The characters in one of my books were stuck on a hostile planet.  The book is called... Hostile Planet.  lol    ;)  8)

How did I get them off-world?  Spoilers:

I made them fight their way to the spaceport, and then I made the ship fight it's way into orbit.  Once in space, I made the ship fight it's way through the enemy fleet to safe jump distance.  Oh... I also made the characters repel boarders while in space.

So my advice would be to ditch any sort of "contest" idea.  Frankly, that sounds more like a dystopian trope to me anyway, like The Hunger Games or The Running Man or something.  Make your characters fight their way clear and kill a bunch of villains along the way.  Splatter some guts across the bulkheads in zero-g.   ;D

Just my two cents.  Good luck.   :)
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 03:47:57 AM »
Tests? Given by whom or what for what reason? And why is a ship a prize? This seems really forced like others have mentioned. Now if they got into some trouble with an ancient civilization's arena combat automated system and had to fight gladiator style to survive waves of advanced robots (maybe a bit malfunctioning by this point) and get awarded a ship... no, even that sounds incredulous.

Three wards? Like towns? With pirates chasing them into the ever nastier city blocks, they have to dodge the street gangs while evading the pirates until they get to the seedy spaceport where they steal a ship. Yah, that sounds more exciting and plausible than some weird tests.

Offline Dean Kutzler

• Philadelphia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 03:53:38 AM »

So my advice would be to ditch any sort of "contest" idea.  Frankly, that sounds more like a dystopian trope to me anyway, like The Hunger Games or The Running Man or something.  Make your characters fight their way clear and kill a bunch of villains along the way.  Splatter some guts across the bulkheads in zero-g.   ;D

Just my two cents.  Good luck.   :)

This did it for me.  8) My initial idea of the three tests was something that had been placed there and no one accessed it centuries, etc. But...as I plotted more and more, I thought the same thing: Dystopian Trope. Mine is a space opera and while I'm not afraid to dare to be different, the readers may not feel the same. And after all...they're what's important. Also, I think I've built enough suspense throughout it to keep 'em hooked.

Thanks! This is exactly what I'm talking about in the post! Most appreciated! *bro-hug back-atcha*

Dean Kutzler | Website | Blog | Reader's Group | Facebook | Twitter | Google Plus | Goodreads

Offline Dean Kutzler

• Philadelphia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 03:55:10 AM »
Thanks guys  ;D for all your help!