Author Topic: Diminishing returns and too much time spent at Instafreebie?  (Read 1816 times)  

Online Greg Dragon

• The End is important in all things. - Tsunetomo
    • View Profile
    • GregDragon.com
Re: Diminishing returns and too much time spent at Instafreebie?
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 01:25:26 PM »
Just want to pipe up and say that I find that Instafreebie readers do convert

This has been my experience as well.

Matchless Dragon | GregDragon.com | Amazon | BookBub | Facebook

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 07:48:18 PM »
Well, you're just a machine, Al. LOL Nice system! But if it's working so well, why ditch it?

Yeah, good question. I hate monthly expenses, and I'm still not convinced that my newsletter is paying for itself. The new release announcement for my last book do its job. Maybe I'm just tired of marketing.

I'll see how much I enjoy writing my next book and decide from there.

BTW, I currently only send newsletters to those who have opened one in the last 60 days or those who are new. That's about 50% of the full list. I get open rates of 55%.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline antcurious

• View Profile
    • JK NEVE.COM
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 01:19:43 AM »
Thanks everyone who has responded WRT BookFunnel. It looks like I can just go in a month at a time with one of the options ... that sounds reasonable.

Just want to pipe up and say that I find that Instafreebie readers do convert, so I don't stress over subscribers. I make mailing list signup optional, but still get plenty of subs.

Mine has not converted into sales at all, but of course, that would have a LOT to do with pushing a superhero/fantasy release to a list made from a thriller freebie  ;D

It still has me questioning my blurb, cover, look inside etc. (And anyone is welcome to have a look to help me figure out where I've gone wrong (The Oscillator in my signature) but I do think (hope) it's mainly because of the above.

The list was around 1.7k. I had about a 30% open rate and over 120 clicks through to the book, but ZERO sales. I would have thought I'd get one, even by accident ::)

JK Neve | Goodreads

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 04:49:56 AM »
Mine has not converted into sales at all, but of course, that would have a LOT to do with pushing a superhero/fantasy release to a list made from a thriller freebie  ;D

It still has me questioning my blurb, cover, look inside etc. (And anyone is welcome to have a look to help me figure out where I've gone wrong (The Oscillator in my signature) but I do think (hope) it's mainly because of the above.

The list was around 1.7k. I had about a 30% open rate and over 120 clicks through to the book, but ZERO sales. I would have thought I'd get one, even by accident ::)
I found a minor error in the Look Inside - ...garments being thin and light--for those HOW could afford it--

Look Inside reads fine, cover is ok but would be better with a less generic background, blurb is kind of meh. It doesn't seem like a superhero blurb but more post apoc. I don't think it needs too much added, just a sprinkle of the superhero element to cue readers in.

Also, did you publish it wide? If not, stick it in Select.
Finally, you need to build a list for fantasy/superhero.

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 05:40:50 AM »
Instafreebie has been great to me. I have nothing but good things to say about them. But I also have been running into so many of the email signups I get already having signed up before. I would say only about 30% of the signups I get are new people. So an IF cross promo runs and I get 100 signups from it. But 70 have already signed up for one of my other IF books or short stories. Even more problematic perhaps, I try to convince myself that it takes very little time to do IF, but that's not true. Keeping track of the promos, evaluating and signing up for new ones. Promoting. Organizing the new signups. It takes a lot of time. Time that could be spent writing and publishing new books.

Most instafreebie users are freeloaders and from what I've heard from other authors the bulk of their sign ups from there aren't responsive, only want free and will drive your mailing list monthly costs up.

Bulk of emails doesn't = quality subscribers.

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 05:45:17 AM »
For those of you who use BookFunnel, which level of service do you purchase?

Not sure i see the point in bookfunnel. You can do it yourself with a couple of links on your website
I pulled the plug on IF in December. I lost about 1/3 of subscribers I got from IF in a matter of three months (300 out of 1000) and the remaining ones are usually not that engaged.
IF is dead; long live the new IF.
Blessings,
E

That's exactly what i said but you will still get a crowd of desperate people lining up to use IF because they think VOLUME = QUALITY

Most authors i have chatted had the same experience as you and most ended up clearing them out.

Stick to front and back matter and you will get quality. It's a slower process but i have seen massive returns this way and I don't have to pay lots of money to my mailing sender.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 05:47:35 AM by thevoiceofone »

Offline antcurious

• View Profile
    • JK NEVE.COM
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 06:34:26 AM »
I found a minor error in the Look Inside - ...garments being thin and light--for those HOW could afford it--

Look Inside reads fine, cover is ok but would be better with a less generic background, blurb is kind of meh. It doesn't seem like a superhero blurb but more post apoc. I don't think it needs too much added, just a sprinkle of the superhero element to cue readers in.

Also, did you publish it wide? If not, stick it in Select.
Finally, you need to build a list for fantasy/superhero.

Thanks for the feedback. I threw this one up in time for an Instafreebie promo just for Superhero, it's actually being edited now. It's had no-one's eyes on it but mine. Naughty I know, but ran out of time. Once the promo is over I'll either stick in KU or wide on other retailers as well. Thanks again for taking the time to have a look!

JK Neve | Goodreads

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 08:40:19 AM »
Once IF adds a guided download system, and BF adds a group promo system, the two services will be identical in the service they provide.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 04:25:15 PM »
Is it correct that with the free plan on Instafreebie, you can still participate in the group giveaways? And the downside of the free plan is you can't collect the email addresses of those who download your book?

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 05:54:26 PM »
Is it correct that with the free plan on Instafreebie, you can still participate in the group giveaways? And the downside of the free plan is you can't collect the email addresses of those who download your book?

Correct.  You can join, you just don't get the emails.  I went free and stopped going group giveaways for a while when I started getting repeats.  But every time I send out a email now, about 50 people (or more) drop off.  I think a lot of the people on IF are just freebie collectors.  A few are not though.  I did get sevral reviews and a couple of conversions with two months of promotions.  Was the time I invested worth it?  The Jury is still out.  If I lose everyone I gained by this spring, I doubt I will be going back to IF.

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter | Google+