Kindle Forum banner

Strange rank behavior for new releases

3K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  Atlantisatheart 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing unusual behavior in their ranks for new releases this week. Me and several other authors have noticed that we're getting a worse rank than usual for the same amount of sales. This is too widespread to blame it on one book's performance. Could there be a glitch or a change in algo? I contacted Amazon but I received an automatic response that everything's ok. Thanks.

#28 ·
MelanieCellier said:
Obviously it isn't going to explain the later comments in the thread about books at the bottom of the ranking rising slowly and steadily without sales/borrows (we can always hope this is because Amazon is doing a clean up!)
This is the part that's still inexplicable to me. It was the first weirdness I noticed (yeah, I'm an inveterate rank-watcher, it's my hobby!), and I tracked it for hours wondering what on earth was going on. Then reports started to surface of new releases without ranks showing up and sales not affecting rank, and it turned into just another glitchy Amazon day. But I've still never seen anything like that slow creeping rank-rise. We live in interesting times.

#29 ·
Lynn Is A Pseudonym said:
On another thread this morning I read a response that someone received from Amazon that said there was a glitch and that sales and borrows weren't affecting rank. So older books, with rank, would naturally start to rise, since newer books would be losing rank because new sales and borrows aren't being counted.
If there were no sales/borrows affecting rank on any book in the system, I'd expect ranks to freeze. Nobody is moving up after a sale/borrow and displacing another book, so everyone would stay put, wouldn't they?

#32 ·
Did everyone affected by this eventually have their rank update properly? My KDP graph shows a paperback shipped this morning but my rank never changed to reflect that someone purchased it.  Usually with the paperbacks,  1 sale will bring my rank to about 190k about 2 days before the book ships, but this time it was stuck at 1.6 million and I had no clue the sale was coming. I'm not worried about my rank but wondering if the other people experienced sales that didn't affect rank. My books are published through KDP print,  so they always show right away.

#34 ·
I put out a new book on the 16th and noticed that things were not as they should be. Everything is glitchy, not just rank, but reporting, also viewed, ads, and my also boughts today are just three pages of my greatest hits - which makes me feel like billy-no-friends.

I will admit, it's all my fault as every single time I run a big promotion something goes wrong.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that goodreads is also experiencing big problems over the last few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.