Author Topic: Anyone out there creating Web Serials or Web Novels?  (Read 157 times)  

Online kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
Anyone out there creating Web Serials or Web Novels?
« on: January 17, 2018, 03:00:39 PM »
Was thinking recently of blogging a chapter or two each week on my own site and perhaps try to build an audience that way. Have you ever given this any thought or are you currently doing this? What do you think of the idea and if you are doing it, how has your experience been thus far?

Are there many readers out there that are into consuming work this way? I'm guessing this format likely only works for certain subgenres, I'm thinking mainly under the science fiction and fantasy umbrellas, but I could be wrong. Anyway, appreciate your thoughts.  8)

Ken Ward

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Anyone out there creating Web Serials or Web Novels?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 03:08:38 PM »
A friend of mine used to do this. People loved it. But it taught them to expect her work for free, and she had a hard time converting free readers into paying readers.

Online kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone out there creating Web Serials or Web Novels?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 03:40:58 PM »
A friend of mine used to do this. People loved it. But it taught them to expect her work for free, and she had a hard time converting free readers into paying readers.

Yeah, I guess that's the gap to be bridged with this kind of thing. Still, I like the idea of a web serial or web novel and the potential for interaction with readers throughout the creative process. Couldn't hurt to set out a tip jar as well. Not likely to be a viable way of quitting the day job I suppose, but still it might be fun.

Ken Ward