Author Topic: Do you often rewrite your works?  (Read 714 times)  

Offline Stagewalker

• Kissimmee Florida
    • View Profile
    • Stagewalker Enterprises
Re: Do you often rewrite your works?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:54:50 PM »
Define rewrite. Before publication, dozens of times. After publication, none except if there is a solid marketing reason to do so like collecting a series into a single volume.

Robert H. Cherny

Offline Stelliswolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 06:01:04 AM »
Agreed with above. Before it's published, it sometimes goes through what feels like an infinite series of drafts.

Although nowadays before I publish I aim to have as much of the book completed during the first draft. That saves me a lot of work later on.

After it's published, I never touch the manuscript unless I discover something like an extremely rare typo.
Ruben Stelliswolfe | Website | Twitter

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 06:58:00 AM »
How often do you rewrite your books?

I am seriously considering touching up my first book. I've just completed book three and am deep into my first murder mystery and my writing has grown so much since the first book and since I'm using it as a reader magnet and it's the first book in my series I don't want to let some of the choppier descriptions keep people from getting to the next books in the series which I'm really proud of.
Havenglade Mysteries (Book 1) developmental editing: 75%

Daughter of Dragons(DoH book4) prologue and chapter one: 17%

world-building and conlang for new series: 1%
H.C. Harrington

Offline SA_Soule

• Northern CA
  • Author, Creativity Coach, & Avid Reader
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 11:14:52 AM »
Actually, I have rewritten and republished all of my fiction titles at least 3 to 5 times. As I learn and grow as a writer, I want all of my backlist to be more polished, too. Sure, my manuscripts go through multiple drafts before publication, but once every year or so, I reread and edit my backlist.

It was after reading Chris Fox's guide on relaunching your backlist that I decided to revamp my branding, too. Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Relaunch-Your-Novel-Breathe-Backlist/dp/1548299170

Currently, I'm completely re-writing my YA urban fantasy series, and including new scenes with tighter plotting and different titles that better reflect the genre. And now I'm revising all the covers and blurbs. Once I finish with all six books, I will market the updated editions to a wider audience. (Also, I offered the revised editions for free to my mailing list if they wanted to read the newer publications.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 11:18:08 AM by SA_Soule »

Offline John Bardinelli

• View Profile
    • Giant Glacier
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »
Actually, I have rewritten and republished all of my fiction titles at least 3 to 5 times.

That's interesting, I've never heard of someone doing that before. How different are the rewritten products from the original?

John Bardinelli | More Writing Things

Offline Joseph Malik

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik:
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
I published a blog post on rewriting and my process, just today.

The New Magic coming September 2018.
Website | Blog | Instagram

Offline Klendark

• USA
  • Easily startled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 01:01:51 PM »
Until it's published: as many times as necessary to polish it to my satisfaction.
After publication: no more than once per year if ever.

Klendark

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »
Never.

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:31:54 PM »
I made several mistakes when I first started and I had no problem with going back and correcting them. It's one of the real perks of self-publishing. Being a neurotic perfectionist will kill your creativity, though, and too much polish will make your work dull so I can advise rewriting only about, oh, eight times or so.

I second Sherry Soule's recommendation of Chris Fox's 'Relaunch Your Novel' book. Great advice!

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 06:39:09 PM »
I hardly ever even look at old work once it's published. That being said, this afternoon I was working on the second part of a trilogy and something started to bother me about a character being carried over from the first book. So, I went back to the first book and came to realize that I was creating a bit of a plot hole. I didn't want to change the narrative in the second book, so I went in and adjusted the story in the first book and republished, both ebook and paperback.

Now, most people wouldn't even have picked on the problem, but the minute a writer says that to themselves, half the known universe sees the plot hole and then it's publicized over and over. So, I decided to fix it. Hopefully I can get to end of book three without making a mess like that again.
The Wrath - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2 (gone to editor): 100%

Crossing The Veil (July Camp NaNoWriMo): 37%

Brownies & Bullets: 20%
I shall destroy everything you love and then rip your beating heart from your chest! Yeah? Bring it jackass!
D Glenn Casey | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »
Define rewrite.

^^This.  There's rewriting, there's editing, and there's tweaking.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 05:05:37 AM by Jena H »
Jena

Offline Jaelynn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 08:06:23 PM »
Before publishing, not really. I usually just write my outline and I'll revise it as I write through my series (I have to outline my whole series at once or I'm bound to get lost. It's also convenient because if I want to change something later while outlining Book 2, I can make the changes in Book 1)

After publishing, I've only rewritten one book because I never finished the series and wrote myself into a corner. There's another series I would love to rewrite (though I feel it was written fairly well) but I have more of an issue with how I handled the plot and characterization. So I'll likely never rewrite it...

Offline EllieDee

• Drifting around Europe
  • Dreaming about the future...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 05:24:14 AM »
Rewrite before publishing?  Constantly.  After publishing?  Sure, I'll correct a random typo here and there and reupload the ebook file.  I haven't done any extensive rewrites, although I am thinking of reworking the first chapter of my first published story.  I know a lot more about storytelling now.  On the other hand, there's something to be said for just moving on and not walking back and forth on the same ground.  On the third hand, a stronger first chapter might lead more people into the subsequent novels.

Conflicted on that one.

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 05:40:56 AM »
Rewrite before publishing?  Constantly.  After publishing?  Sure, I'll correct a random typo here and there and reupload the ebook file.  I haven't done any extensive rewrites, although I am thinking of reworking the first chapter of my first published story.  I know a lot more about storytelling now.  On the other hand, there's something to be said for just moving on and not walking back and forth on the same ground.  On the third hand, a stronger first chapter might lead more people into the subsequent novels.

Conflicted on that one.

Yeah, that's sort of where my dilemma lies. I really like my first book and think it has a lot to offer but I know I can easily smooth out a sentence here and there to make it as good a read as my second and third volumes.

The good thing is seeing how much you've improved.

When my beta readers read through my third book recently I got back a lot of messages like "Wow, your best book, waiting to see how this wraps up." and "Your world really expanded and came to life."

Havenglade Mysteries (Book 1) developmental editing: 75%

Daughter of Dragons(DoH book4) prologue and chapter one: 17%

world-building and conlang for new series: 1%
H.C. Harrington