Kindle Forum banner

Conundrum: My cover art won't be ready in time for proper ARC acquisition.

584 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  C. Gold 
#1 ·
kBoards, I'm in a conundrum.

I have a new series release date set for mid July.
Given the workload for the particular cover artist I'd like to hire, I won't receive the completed book 1 until a scant few weeks before release.
I expect this to severely limit the time I will have to leverage the completed book cover for social networking as well as ARC acquisition.

So, without extending the release date, which I may have to consider:
Is it common to pursue ARCs without a cover?
Are there any creative methods that others have attempted to market a "coverless" book prior to art?
Will promo sites accept a book for six or eight weeks in advance knowing that the cover is in progress?

I'm certain others have encountered this situation. If so, what were your solutions?

#5 ·
For your mailing list, to your fans, it might not make a difference.

If you are posting an offer through a service, it definitely will. I am on the Hidden Gems ARC list and we get quite a few emails with books to choose from. I only read about one book a week (unlike many of those readers who read a book a day or more) so I am more choosy about which books I request, and the cover and blurb are critical.

"Free book" isn't enough for me as a reader/reviewer. I have limited time and I want to read something that is well written and well edited, and the cover gives me some good clues.

#6 ·
As missbedora mentioned, it depends on the type of ARC. If it's HG then you basically NEED a good cover because that's what will first drive people to your book.

However, I believe you can book a HG ARC without a cover and change it later. Usually you'd launch a HG ARC a week or so prior to launch, so by then your cover should be done.

#7 ·
Tizzy said:
As missbedora mentioned, it depends on the type of ARC. If it's HG then you basically NEED a good cover because that's what will first drive people to your book.

However, I believe you can book a HG ARC without a cover and change it later. Usually you'd launch a HG ARC a week or so prior to launch, so by then your cover should be done.
If it's okay to change the cover, could you use a premade temporarily, and then swap it out for the other cover later?

#8 ·
Years ago, it was quite common to get uncorrected proofs with a plain green cover, but I haven't seen that in a very long time. Now I only ever get a faux paperback with the hardcover artwork, without an index, and with a warning not to quote anything without obtaining the final version, but in truth the proofing is generally perfect.

Amazing the graphic artist is booked up five months in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.