Author Topic: Only Military Time Available on Device (Oasis 2017)?  (Read 643 times)  

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Only Military Time Available on Device (Oasis 2017)?
« on: January 21, 2018, 11:18:46 AM »
I've looked through the threads here and in Tips & Troubleshooting, I've searched through my User Guide, and I have looked through all the Settings options I can find on the device, but have found no option to return it to Standard Time (which I really thought it had until looking at the time late yesterday).

I understand Military Time, I can translate it in my head, but it is certainly not my preference.  All of my other devices allow me to show a.m. and p.m. with Standard Time.  Am I missing something or do I just need to deal with it?
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Only Military Time Available on Device (Oasis 2017)?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:23:15 AM »
I had to think for a second what you mean by military time. 24 hour clock is what I grew up with so it was normal to me until moving to the US.

Check your language on the kindle. Settings. Language. You have it set to english (UK) and not to english USA I believe.

You also should have aeroplane mode and not airplane mode. Right?  ;D

I actually like setting to UK to get my proper clock.  :P

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »
Holy Moly! That was it and I never thought of checking the Language setting.  It's having to go through a complete restart after switching.  I have no clue how it got switched from U.S. to U.K. English some time yesterday.

All better.  Thanks, Atunah.  :-*
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Online Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 05:18:39 PM »
Yes, that was brilliant Atunah! I would never have thought of it and am making a note in case it ever happens to my new kindle. This thread is even better than the technical troubleshooting one  ;).

Offline lveale

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:22:28 AM »
Thanks Atunah! Mine came with the 24 hour clock setting and I don't really mind it, but it was bugging me anyway ;) I wanted to have a choice. I searched but the penny never dropped to check the language setting. All fixed now thanks to you.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »
Glad to be of help.

I think sometimes it happens when one first sets up the new kindle. You pick the language and they are both called "English". And other than the "aeroplane" and the time, I don't think there is a difference. It might pull in the british dictionary also, I can't recall that one just now.

But I wonder what happened with crebel there. Maybe it rebooted with an update and for some reason switched to the UK setting? Odd that one. You would have noticed that time from the beginning of using it, wouldn't you have?  8)

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander