Author Topic: Is Barnes and Noble finally getting its act together?  (Read 8443 times)  

Online David VanDyke

• View Profile
Is Barnes and Noble finally getting its act together?
« on: January 23, 2018, 12:03:07 PM »
Got this email just now:

Dear Publisher,

We are thrilled to announce the re-launch of our self-publishing platform branded under the new name, Barnes & Noble Press. You will note that we have combined our eBook and print on demand platforms into a single experience and incorporated the brand change to reflect our close alignment with our retail stores.

With the new Barnes & Noble Press platform you will be able to sign in to a single website to create and manage your eBook and print books all in one place. Other highlights include: an increase in the royalty rate (65%) for eBooks priced $10 and above on all copies sold, and the ability for authors to set eBook pre-orders 12 months in advance. On the print side, we have added additional trim sizes, glossy cover options (in addition to matte), and less expensive color printing options.

Starting today, we will begin migrating accounts to the new platform. There will be a staggered rollout of the new site over the next three days, so you may not see all of your projects on the new platform until the migration is complete. Users who login to the current NOOK Press site will be automatically redirected to the new B&N Press website once their account and projects have been fully migrated. Books available for sale on BN.com and NOOK will not be affected and will remain on sale throughout the process.

We will be releasing new features over the next few months, and would love to hear what you think of the new site by emailing BNPressSupport (at) bn.com. Thank you for your continued support, and for publishing with Barnes & Noble and NOOK!

Sincerely,

The Barnes & Noble Press Team

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter[/

Offline It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
Re: Is Barnes and Noble finally getting its act together?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 12:05:37 PM »
Got this email just now:

Dear Publisher,

We are thrilled to announce the re-launch of our self-publishing platform branded under the new name, Barnes & Noble Press. You will note that we have combined our eBook and print on demand platforms into a single experience and incorporated the brand change to reflect our close alignment with our retail stores.

With the new Barnes & Noble Press platform you will be able to sign in to a single website to create and manage your eBook and print books all in one place. Other highlights include: an increase in the royalty rate (65%) for eBooks priced $10 and above on all copies sold, and the ability for authors to set eBook pre-orders 12 months in advance. On the print side, we have added additional trim sizes, glossy cover options (in addition to matte), and less expensive color printing options.

Starting today, we will begin migrating accounts to the new platform. There will be a staggered rollout of the new site over the next three days, so you may not see all of your projects on the new platform until the migration is complete. Users who login to the current NOOK Press site will be automatically redirected to the new B&N Press website once their account and projects have been fully migrated. Books available for sale on BN.com and NOOK will not be affected and will remain on sale throughout the process.

We will be releasing new features over the next few months, and would love to hear what you think of the new site by emailing BNPressSupport (at) bn.com. Thank you for your continued support, and for publishing with Barnes & Noble and NOOK!

Sincerely,

The Barnes & Noble Press Team

This sounds like good news!

Online The 13th Doctor

• Here
    • View Profile
    • Three-Headed Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
Sounds interesting. I think I still have an account with them, but shifted all my books to D2D after not selling anything directly (Strangely enough, I sell on B&N through D2D).

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 12:13:20 PM »
Woohoo!

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 12:14:35 PM »
What would be even more interesting is if they rolled out a promotion program similar to AMS or Kobo. B&N is my absolute worst sales channel. I've never been able to get any sales traction there, even though I sell through Nook Press.   

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »
Just got the e-mail here.  It is very encouraging.  When they announced the removal of several features,  I wondering how long until the whole thing went down.  But this came as quite a surprise.

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter | Google+

Online Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 12:33:29 PM »
"Is Barnes and Noble finally getting its act together?"

I hope so, but color me skeptical.

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube[/u

Offline Dragovian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 12:36:59 PM »
I don't have an email yet. I feel left out. :(

On the other hand, this is the first month in ages where B&N has topped Kobo for sales, so I like to at least think they've unbroken the storefront.

I've doubled my writing speed by playing on 4theWords. Come give it a try! My referral code is PFXBS32680.

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »
So, I went over to https://print.nookpress.com/ and what has me the most excited is that they offer hardback (with or without dust jackets) for just a couple dollars more than paperback on CreateSpace.  Now, I haven't been on their site in a million years (I migrated everything to D2D) so maybe this is old news, but the thought of being able to create hardbacks without the setup fees of Ingramspark has me rethinking a lot of things...

Also, HOLY 65% ROYALTIES ON BOOKS OVER $9.99!!

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 12:47:05 PM »
This sounds interesting. Maybe we'll get a better sales page now, rather than just a random list of titles that have sold recently.

Offline juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 01:02:39 PM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I do okay on Nook (for someone who doesn't sell hundreds of copies every day). But I don't get one thing - 65 % royalties for books over $10. Isn't that what it has always been??? Where's the increase?

Offline PermaStudent

• Be so good they can't ignore you. --Steve Martin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 01:19:10 PM »

Right there with you.  They've set me up for disappointment before.
  I write urban fantasy.  There are girls in gowns and glowy hands on my covers.

Offline Joshua Dalzelle

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon page...
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 01:41:32 PM »
I saw that in my inbox... I really hope B&N retools NOOK and makes it a serious competitor for Kindle, but I'm as skeptical as everyone else seems to be.

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 01:45:20 PM »
Anything that looks like a legitimate investment in online infrastructure from B&N would be a positive step.

Offline Dale Ivan Smith

• Greater Portlandia
    • View Profile
    • Dale Ivan Smith
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »
Thrilled to see this! Definitely a turn in the right direction for them.

Dale Ivan Smith | Website | Facebook

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 01:55:01 PM »
Anything that looks like a legitimate investment in online infrastructure from B&N would be a positive step.

Sure, because maybe it'll look good to anyone they're hoping will buy out the company.

Online Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 02:01:33 PM »
the answer is no
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Online Rose Andrews

• Washington State, U.S.A.
  • Vintage Love <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 02:10:25 PM »
Thrilled to see this! Definitely a turn in the right direction for them.
Yes. This is good news indeed.

20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest

Offline My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 02:16:44 PM »
No letter here.

Maybe I'm getting senile, but my memory says the last time they tried to make a big upgrade the whole site crashed and it was days, in some cases, weeks, before things started working again.

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 03:25:35 PM »

My thoughts.

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 03:28:34 PM »

I agree that more investment in the B&N online store would be great for self-publishing authors. Stronger competitors to Amazon would benefit us authors, but the problem is B&N's online business will inevitably compete against B&N's brick and mortar stores, thereby speeding the decline of the larger part of the business. That's why the longtime management of B&N has worked so hard to shrink the online store, which was once a genuine threat to the Kindle Store.

Like Jim Johnson, I think a sale of B&N to new management would be best, but that new management will be stuck with the same internal conflict the existing management has mismanaged since the Kindle came on the scene. The better option would be for B&N to sell the online business to a business that could enthusiastically grow online sales, but then the rest of B&N would be creating another competitor like Amazon.

The end result is I think B&N has no good options for the online store. Hopefully, they'll prove me wrong and build it back into what it once was.

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 03:49:50 PM »
we bring up past sins whenever Barnes and Noble is the subject. I wonder sometimes if we're capable of getting good news about them without Eeyore-ing all over it.

Offline My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 04:48:20 PM »
we bring up past sins whenever Barnes and Noble is the subject. I wonder sometimes if we're capable of getting good news about them without Eeyore-ing all over it.

You have a point...but....

I've recently been moving some of my books back wide. I'd started with B&N early on, but when sales there kept drifting downward, I decided to try KU. Going back wide now--Google Play, smooth as silk (never had an account--they shut down just as I applied). Kobo, even better (no previous account). Barnes & Noble, where all those books were still listed but off sale? Nothing but a headache. Every single one of them flicked in and out of pending/on sale/pending/on sale...including conflicting status reports for the same book depending on which page I looked at. They still flicker occasionally, for no reason I can see. And this was the "new" site they've now had several years to get working

I'd love to see them succeed, but...  we'll see. Maybe they really are beginning to understand their future is not in the past. I sure hope so.

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 12:16:20 AM »
I'm excited that there is this move to reward authors who are pushing the upper envelope of pricing.  I think part of getting people to switch from paper to eBooks in the beginning was creating a culture where ebooks were more affordable.  But now that readers have made this switch, it's nice to have a retailer say, "If you can get people to pay it, we have your back."  Not that I'M capable of getting readers to pay more than $4.99 for a book, but you know... it's nice not to have that artificial ceiling and that if we reeeeeaaally wanted to charge $12.99, we're not going to take a hit to the pocketbook.

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline ireaderreview

• Books Butterfly - Connecting Readers to Authors
    • View Profile
    • Books Butterfly Book Promotions (Kindle, Nook, Apple, Kobo)
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 03:58:09 AM »
This is part of the reason:

I agree that more investment in the B&N online store would be great for self-publishing authors. Stronger competitors to Amazon would benefit us authors, but the problem is B&N's online business will inevitably compete against B&N's brick and mortar stores, thereby speeding the decline of the larger part of the business. That's why the longtime management of B&N has worked so hard to shrink the online store, which was once a genuine threat to the Kindle Store.

There were lots of factors why Nook eBook Store and Nook Color Tablet and Nook ereader, which was once a very serious threat to Kindle Store, is now a marginal player

A) The B&N Founder started talking a lot about how they were selling Jumbo Jets full of Nook Color Tablets. Within 8 months Amazon launched Kindle Fire Tablet. If the gentleman had shut up and let sales go on he might have gotten another year or two to gain market share. I think the figure quoted was 700,000 in one month. At that time there was no Kindle Fire Tablet. Amazon announced one within 3/4 months and released it within 9 months

A2) Apple launched iPad and that basically stalled growth of ereaders and reading tablets

B) A lot of B&N's traction was '1 million free ebooks from public domain'. For a year Amazon resisted it. Then Amazon countered with - 1 million free public domain ebooks AND exclusive free books from indie authors. What was Nook Tablet and Nook Ereaders biggest selling point became a negative

C) B&N is not a technical company. In fact, most of their Nook division software was run by an external california company which in turn had lots of outside US developers
For Nook Color and Nook HD tablets the Operating System was a skin on Android, and that skin was coded mostly by people who weren't even part of B&N Nook. So their core competency for their tablets was outsourced. It's pretty crazy. The Nook team were all very serious and good to work with. great people. unfortunately they didn't keep the technology expertise in house and that meant they never got as good as they needed to be

D) Yes, author is spot on. B&N was always scared of cannibalizing print sales (which were profitable) with ebook sales. That was also a factor

E) B&N just doesn't have the revenues or the additional products to subsidize costs. They were taking big losses on Nook division because of R&D costs etc. Amazon can sell kitchen sinks and shoes and cleaning detergent and use its crazy stock valuation etc. to keep spending. B&N doesn't have any of that

F) Exclusivity of indie authors became a thing.  A few indie authors becoming exclusive doesn't matter. However, hundreds of thousands of indie authors being exclusive to one ebook store gives it a very big advantage

So, complaining about Nook being non-competitive is crazy as it's indie authors who made it less competitive

You had

Amazon
Sony
Kobo
Nook
Apple
Google Play

Instead of doing divide and conquer and leaving each with 20-25% market share and begging for your attention

indie authors gave one store exclusivity and signed up for Kindle Unlimited and let it get 65% of US market. Now indie authors have to beg for attention

The big thing is that everyone in ebooks (especially the current largest ebook stores) is now trying to preserve $5 to $15 ebooks, because they can only survive if ebooks don't go to $0 to $5 range and stabilize there

That point actually creates an opportunity for new entrants

Existing ebook stores are reluctant to go all out with indie authors and lower priced books
So if someone were to start from scratch and build around a world of $1 to $5 ebooks they could take over ebooks. $1 and $3 cannot be beaten by $5 and $10. The stores are throwing everything they can and they still can't kill off low priced books. They are even trying to build entire new bestseller lists to hide low priced books from readers

So the big opportunity for Nook, Kobo, Apple, WalMart is - just go with $0 as marketing and $0.99 to $4.99 for revenue - and let go of print book sales and higher priced book sales

The scary thing there is that you end up with

$0 for marketing. So how do you make marketing money? There's no marketing that's as good as free books (provided authors have other paid books the people downloading free books can buy)
$0.99, $1.99, $2.99, $3.99 for sales. So authors have very little money to do marketing
hardly any cut as 30% of low prices is very low. Note: To beat market incumbents a new store would have to give 70% of $0.99 and $1.99 books

So someone has to figure out how to make a sustainable business from that. That really is the end state, though. Whether or not someone builds something for that, that is what we're going to end up with. All the things you see, are a counter to that. Stores trying desperately to preserve higher priced ebooks and paperbacks
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:01:10 AM by ireaderreview »

Get 50 to 100 Sales for Your $1 Book! Get 2,000 to 5,000+ Downloads for your Free Run Books! Get 200 to 400+ Sales for Your $1 Box Set!

Books Butterfly | Free Book Promotion | Paid Book Promotion

Applies to Following Genres: Mysteries, Thrillers, Suspense, Romance, Christian, Non-Fiction, How To, Cookbooks, SciFi Thrillers, Memoirs, Romantic Erotica, Steamy Romance.
Please Note: We also promote in other genres.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac