NetGalley

Author Topic: iBooks to be renamed "Books" in attempt to take on Amazon  (Read 2186 times)  

Online Sailor Stone

• Vote for Pedro.
    • View Profile
    • Sailorstone.com
iBooks to be renamed "Books" in attempt to take on Amazon
« on: January 25, 2018, 05:04:50 AM »
Apple has announced updates to its iBooks app and store:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-25/apple-is-said-to-ready-revamped-e-books-push-against-amazon

Let's hope they mean it this time. This with Google getting into audio books might mean better options ahead for writers.

Sailor Stone | web page | facebook

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
Re: iBooks to be renamed "Books" in attempt to take on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 05:19:48 AM »
Its good to see Books and Google doing something.  Even if we dont know where its leading, its enough for me to start changing my advertizing tactics. I had been willing to direct traffic primarily to Amazon, but Im sick of having up to 1,000 competitor books on my page. I have zero interest in KU so I will not be enrolling my books. Due to KU skewing ranks the Amazon platform offers me no visibility.  Im not creating or selling paperbacks through amazon anymore. And I wouldnt touch their ACX offer from the start.

I can live with all of the above, but Amazon have given me good reason to target my ads so they send traffic to Books and Google. All the BS Amazon keep  pulling adds up to making them non competitive against other platforms. Sure, itll take a while for the buying market to shift, but for those of us who are sale only, I suspect itll pay off longer term.

Offline Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 06:04:40 AM »
This is good news for us. I've been loyal to amazon since day one, being in KOLL and keeping all my books in KU for the switch. I've been caught up in every one of amazon's KU twists and turns and lost well over half my revenue on page reads, page decreasing, page-flip, and now with this AMS scam of be in it or lose all visibility it feels like I'm spending almost as much as the book is taking just to stand still.

Well, as amazon have shown no loyalty to the authors who have built their platform, I don't have a loyal bone left in my body. I'll be happy directing traffic to any company that isn't amazon if they are going to take amazon on. Authors made amazon and they can break amazon, as long as there is a player in the market willing to do what it takes to challenge them. Viva the revolution.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 06:10:39 AM »
This is good news for us. I've been loyal to amazon since day one, being in KOLL and keeping all my books in KU for the switch. I've been caught up in every one of amazon's KU twists and turns and lost well over half my revenue on page reads, page decreasing, page-flip, and now with this AMS scam of be in it or lose all visibility it feels like I'm spending almost as much as the book is taking just to stand still.

Well, as amazon have shown no loyalty to the authors who have built their platform, I don't have a loyal bone left in my body. I'll be happy directing traffic to any company that isn't amazon if they are going to take amazon on. Authors made amazon and they can break amazon, as long as there is a player in the market willing to do what it takes to challenge them. Viva the revolution.

Too right. I had no negative or positive opinion about Amazon before I published, but I do now and its not kindly. Ive got the time and money to create distance between myself and Amazon. Ill support any company wholl help me to escape the rat hole Amazon has become.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 06:32:09 AM »
this is big news! Glad to see Apple stepping up again.

Offline Joshua Dalzelle

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon page...
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 07:15:19 AM »
It's good to have another company with Apple's resources recommitting to challenging Amazon.

Offline Ebook Proofreading

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 07:25:44 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-25/apple-is-said-to-ready-revamped-e-books-push-against-amazon

Let's hope they mean it this time. This with Google getting into audio books might mean better options ahead for writers.

This is good news! Thank you for sharing.
Flat rate per book:
proofreadebooks.com

Online MmmmmPie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 08:24:53 AM »
So glad to see this! Aside from the impact on authors, Amazon's book store has become a noisy, cluttered train-wreck. In the past,  Amazon provided readers with a better customer experience, with great recommendations, useful top 100 lists, etc.  But now, unless you're participating in Kindle Unlimited (whether as a reader or a writer), it's become an uphill battle to find (or sell) great books. And all those ads, ugh.

Amazon is leaving the door wide open for another retailer to come in and steal a big chunk of Amazon's market share. It would be really nice to see someone (whether Apple, Google, B&N, or someone new) step up to the plate.

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 08:41:24 AM »
Authors made amazon and they can break amazon, as long as there is a player in the market willing to do what it takes to challenge them. Viva the revolution.

Ultimately what does zon have that other ebook retailers don't have? Really nothing. This is why KU is so critical to zon despite it being a total gong show... it's the only differentiator they have. The hubris they've shown toward indies given how little differentiation they have over their competitors is truly astounding, especially when there was no need for it.

That said, if the others begin to rise and get swarmed with bots and content mills also, they'll fall prey to the same issues zon is. So the real question becomes are they going to build out in a way that protects the integrity of the store? Or will they follow zon's method and let chaos reign and assume the market (ie. readers) will sort it out?

Because if the competition applies just a tiny bit of human curation/investigation to keep the store clean, that will become the differentiator that kills zon's almighty algo model.

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 08:53:58 AM »

This is good news. In the past, Apple has focused more on hardware, but apparently the CEO has said Apple needs to develop $50 billion in service revenue, and maybe their bookstore can contribute to that goal. Apple does have its own loyal fans, completely independent from Amazon, and those fans may be a good source of new ebook readers.

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 09:44:49 AM »
Ultimately what does zon have that other ebook retailers don't have? Really nothing.

Their name. Before I started Indie publishing I had never heard of Kobo, Nook etc. But I did know about Amazon, as do most people world wide. I certainly hadn't heard about iBooks and had no idea they were connected to Apple, which is another well-known brand. If they call it AppleBooks it could be a winner.

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Bob Stewart

• View Profile
    • Street Car Mysteries
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 10:15:02 AM »
Competition for Amazon could only be good. But as long as they cling to arcane nonsense like requiring a Mac-only interface to upload titles, I'd say they have a very long way to go.

Apple makes money selling things behind their proprietary moat; Amazon makes money by being the destination people choose to go to.

Offline Tizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 10:17:26 AM »
Ultimately what does zon have that other ebook retailers don't have? Really nothing. This is why KU is so critical to zon despite it being a total gong show... it's the only differentiator they have. The hubris they've shown toward indies given how little differentiation they have over their competitors is truly astounding, especially when there was no need for it.

They have their name, their brand, and the single best-selling e-book device in the world with automatically works with their store. I can buy books straight from my kindle if it's on Amazon, and they're delivered automatically, even via 3G if I happen to not have wi-fi, for free. My position in those books is kept saved in the cloud shall I want to use another device to read. When I finish reading a book I like I got on Kindle I'm given recommendations of other books like that one I might like. It automatically shows me what phrases other people found worthy of highlighting, and it automatically shares my highlights and the list of books I've bought with Goodreads.

There's a lot Amazon has over Google/Apple/Kobo/Nook, most of them by the way of convenience if you stick to their environment. Don't underestimate that, as customers are prone to both brand loyalty and inertia. It would actually take a massive effort from anyone else to steal even a decent chunk of the market off of Amazon, let alone become the main ebook retailer.

I'm all for competition, and I like reading that Google and Apple are offering better deals, but I'm clear that this isn't likely to threaten Amazon much, if at all.

Offline Tilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 10:30:25 AM »
Before I started Indie publishing I had never heard of Kobo, Nook etc. But I did know about Amazon, as do most people world wide.

That's not true Downunder. We've always had B&N and nook (which was the only e-reader you could buy here for a number of years). Amazon is very American-centric, whereas the other stores (Apple, Nook, Kobo, GP) have always catered to the rest of the world with regional stores. When Amazon opens a new country specific store (Amazon AU is only a year or two old) it is very limited in what it offers compared to the US store. Until recently Amazon was not well known Downunder and I used to get asked by people if it was a "safe" site shop as they had not heard of it.

That aside, I just wish Apple would introduce some sort of promo tab like Kobo. I find it frustrating that you have to be shoulder tapped by iBooks staff for internal promo and they usually just help the top sellers keep their top spots. Everyone else has to rely on external advertising to drive traffic to their store.

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
So, can we expect an Apple Books monthly subscription program?

Ken Ward

Offline Bohemienne

• Washington, DC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 12:25:20 PM »
Very excited for the possibilities here. I really hope they'll get serious about building a good recommendation engine that indies authors can take advantage of to reach new readers. IMO that's what makes Amazon the most attractive right now, and AMS is a component of that.

Lindsay Smith | Website | Twitter

Offline Loosecannon

• Western frontier
    • View Profile
    • Modus Operandi Press
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 01:32:26 PM »
Hey they have to do something new to justify that enormous super-duper uber-tech flying saucer headquarters office building they built themselves...?   ;D

Offline Marian

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »

That said, if the others begin to rise and get swarmed with bots and content mills also, they'll fall prey to the same issues zon is. So the real question becomes are they going to build out in a way that protects the integrity of the store? Or will they follow zon's method and let chaos reign and assume the market (ie. readers) will sort it out?

Because if the competition applies just a tiny bit of human curation/investigation to keep the store clean, that will become the differentiator that kills zon's almighty algo model.

I agree. And they need to look at Amazon's mistakes, which they can find by reading threads on this forum.

Offline ireaderreview

• Books Butterfly - Connecting Readers to Authors
    • View Profile
    • Books Butterfly Book Promotions (Kindle, Nook, Apple, Kobo)
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 04:54:01 PM »
+1000 to what Seneca said and to this

Well, as amazon have shown no loyalty to the authors who have built their platform, I don't have a loyal bone left in my body. I'll be happy directing traffic to any company that isn't amazon if they are going to take amazon on. Authors made amazon and they can break amazon, as long as there is a player in the market willing to do what it takes to challenge them.

If enough authors shift then some other store will take over, or even better, we'll end up with 3-4 ebook stores eaching having 20-30% of the market each

Indie Authors are keeping Amazon in prime position via

A) Exclusivity. So must get into the ebook store to read the book
B) KU
C) All that money indie authors are spending on promoting their books is basically -> Building up of Amazon's ebook store

What we've found is that MOST new readers don't really care about whether it's Apple or Barnes and Noble or google or Amazon. They will go wherever they can find a good book or a good deal or a good free offer

If indie authors first make Kindle store biggest by giving it exclusivity and then consistently promote it and keep it as biggest

Then - it's very plausible and perhaps even probable that shifting to another store, or another set of stores, reduces Amazon from 60 to 65% market share in ebooks to less than 50%. After that point it's anyone's market

And KU can't survive at all if indie authors start leaving. You'll see this happen IF WalMart or Apple start gaining market share

1) WalMart or Apple or both start gaining market share
2) Some authors start leaving
3) Amazon figures out threat to KU and to book sales. Does extreme measures to try to 'coerce' authors to stay
4) [Perhaps] Authors still leave
5) Amazon switches tactic and removes exclusivity for KU to avoid it falling apart

Remember that Amazn's Games Unlimited service (Games Underground) for apps and games is being closed down
Because there developers were not willing to agree as they had Apple and Android App Stores

The big question is simply how many authors realize this:

Well, as amazon have shown no loyalty to the authors who have built their platform, I don't have a loyal bone left in my body. I'll be happy directing traffic to any company that isn't amazon if they are going to take amazon on. Authors made amazon and they can break amazon, as long as there is a player in the market willing to do what it takes to challenge them.

the model is meant to bury the builders with the platform - like the Great Wall of China or the Pyramids
Go do a check on all the partners that helped build the kindle ecosystem

1) Where are all the early authors who were successful? What percentage are still doing very well
2) Where are all the 2009 and 2010 and 2011 authors who got medium amounts of success? What percentage are still seeing good sales
3) Why did the first Kindle cover maker sue Amazon?
4) Where are all the developers who made apps for the Kindle eInk Reader App Store? Where is the app store?
5) Where are all the early promotion sites? How many of them are still big?
6) Where are all the promotion sites that bought into Amazon's vision of 'stop sharing free books and focus on deals'? Why is there such a big overlap between those sites and the sites kicked out of affiliate program in early 2017?
7) If it's an ecosystem that has grown massively, why is it that the early believers and contributors are mostly all wiped out or marginalized. Not just authors. Everyone from accessory makers to affiliates to developers? If every single person who is building the pyramids is getting marginalized or wiped out, then why are people still jumping in to keep building the pyramids?
8) Where are all the affiliates that helped promote free book offers and build Kindle into market lead? Why were they all given 8 days notice and then kicked out of affiliate program in Feb end 2013?

Once authors start realizing this they will start leaving exclusive options and focusing more on wide

And it has to be a mutual relationship

You can't expect Apple or WalMart to become #1 while you are doing everything possible to kill their growth by giving one store exclusivity and routing all your advertising dollars to the book pages of that one ebook store
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:56:51 PM by ireaderreview »

Get 50 to 100 Sales for Your $1 Book! Get 2,000 to 5,000+ Downloads for your Free Run Books! Get 200 to 400+ Sales for Your $1 Box Set!

Books Butterfly | Free Book Promotion | Paid Book Promotion

Applies to Following Genres: Mysteries, Thrillers, Suspense, Romance, Christian, Non-Fiction, How To, Cookbooks, SciFi Thrillers, Memoirs, Romantic Erotica, Steamy Romance.
Please Note: We also promote in other genres.

Online Shelley K

• Does things wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 05:01:23 PM »
Dropping ebooks from iTunes kind of flies in the face of this whole ebook competition business. Nobody hold your breath or anything.

Online T. M. Bilderback

• Friday the 13th comes on a Tuesday this month.
    • View Profile
    • T. M. Bilderback's Website
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 05:46:56 PM »
You can't expect Apple or WalMart to become #1 while you are doing everything possible to kill their growth by giving one store exclusivity and routing all your advertising dollars to the book pages of that one ebook store

Hear, hear! Good words!

T. M. Bilderback | Newsletter | Facebook

Offline Lady Vine

• Eye right books. Eye like two reed. Bye my books.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »
Dropping ebooks from iTunes kind of flies in the face of this whole ebook competition business. Nobody hold your breath or anything.

Right. They've just made it more difficult for people to find books.

I can almost guarantee that they won't increase their categories or rebuild their search engine. Same with Barnes & Noble. They announce these big, elaborate plans to alter their stores, but what actually happens is, they yet again ignore everything we've been telling them and do whatever they want.

I'm sure Amazon has nothing to be afraid of.

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 12:30:13 AM »

Very interesting.

I'd like to see Goolge really get into this in a serious way. There is a lot of money on the table and probably some clever innovations still down the pipeline.
Havenglade Mysteries (Book 1) developmental editing: 75%

Daughter of Dragons(DoH book4) prologue and chapter one: 17%

world-building and conlang for new series: 1%
H.C. Harrington

Online Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 07:34:17 AM »
this is big news! Glad to see Apple stepping up again.

Not really.

I mean, Bloomberg is spinning this story to make it sound like big news, but there really isn't anything behind the hype. Apple is changing the app's name, is releasing an update, and has hired an exec.

If Bloomberg hadn't lost their [crap] over these three occurances would you really think they were a big deal?
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 08:30:32 AM »
Ultimately what does zon have that other ebook retailers don't have? Really nothing.

Well, as someone else has pointed out, Amazon has the Kindle!

I resist monopolies wherever I can. (I use Bing instead of Google even though it requires me to say "web browser" all the time. Nobody understands me if I say "Bing it!")

I would love to see Apple ebooks divorced from iTunes, which I regard as the world's most awful software. I hate it. More than once I have considered buying an Android phone so I would be free of it.

Apple does, however, sell more ebooks per year for me than any other platform than, sigh, Amazon.
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com