NetGalley

Author Topic: Second row of sponsored AMS ads is now also viewed  (Read 1434 times)  

Online Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
Second row of sponsored AMS ads is now also viewed
« on: January 26, 2018, 07:41:42 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the second (lower row) of AMS ads is now; customers who viewed this book also viewed?

This is only recently happened because my ads were showing up there two days ago. But then I also haven't had any sales data go on my ads for two days although the clicks and cost have been mounting up nicely.

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
Re: Second row of sponsored AMS ads is now also viewed
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 07:46:52 PM »
I saw it earlier today while browsing the 'zon. Makes me wonder if there's some sort of mechanic in place where the higher bidding books get into the upper band and lower bidding books go into the lower band.

Online Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 07:56:26 PM »
I saw it earlier today while browsing the 'zon. Makes me wonder if there's some sort of mechanic in place where the higher bidding books get into the upper band and lower bidding books go into the lower band.

But there isn't a second row anymore, Jim, they are now also viewed.

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »
The "also viewed" are not sponsored products. They're there in place of "also boughts" on a book that doesn't have enough sales to have generated them. If they were ads, they'd say so.

Online Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 08:34:09 PM »
The "also viewed" are not sponsored products. They're there in place of "also boughts" on a book that doesn't have enough sales to have generated them. If they were ads, they'd say so.

I guess I'm not explaining it correctly.

You have book blurb - then also bought - then sponsored ads - then under the rank at the bottom of the page is the second row of sponsored ads - the second row of sponsored ads are now showing up as also viewed, there is no second row of sponsored ads anymore.

Offline Jacob Stanley

• Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 08:44:28 PM »
I guess I'm not explaining it correctly.

You have book blurb - then also bought - then sponsored ads - then under the rank at the bottom of the page is the second row of sponsored ads - the second row of sponsored ads are now showing up as also viewed, there is no second row of sponsored ads anymore.

Yep, I'm not seeing them either. I feel like they were definitely still there this morning.

Online Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 08:49:28 PM »
Yep, I'm not seeing them either. I feel like they were definitely still there this morning.

Just my luck, after ten days of A/B testing and faithfully checking them I just stopped so I don't know when they disappeared. Seems a little strange they put up also viewed.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 11:46:35 PM »
Thats what Im seeing, but your question made me check. Whats funny about that is my name is a regular target for a specific group of KU authors. Now that I can see the also viewed it makes it quite clear that the AMS ads arent working because none of their books are listed there.  :P

Offline Anna Drake

• View Profile
    • Anna Drake
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 05:41:52 AM »
It's nice they've dropped the also viewed to the bottom on the page. Three rows of competitors' book was a bit much to contend with. But then I may be biased because I rarely advertise my books through ams or any other outlet for that matter.

Anna Drake | Website | Twitter | Amazon | Facebook

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 05:49:20 AM »
I'm not surprised by this. How many people were going to pay much attention to a second row of ads? Many probably ignore the first one. I think what was happening was that ads displayed in the second band weren't generating any clicks--hence no ad money for Amazon.

I'm not sad to see them go. It's just one more layer of clutter removed from the page.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 06:01:47 AM »
Thats what Im seeing, but your question made me check. Whats funny about that is my name is a regular target for a specific group of KU authors. Now that I can see the also viewed it makes it quite clear that the AMS ads arent working because none of their books are listed there.  :P

I love the also viewed when they are populating just before the also bought kicks in, it's where I pick up the authors and books for my AMS ads that give me the best return for the AMS ads. I think also viewed are a better snapshot of your target audience because the also bought are populated with the bestsellers that too many people have, it's skewed towards top sellers, whereas the also viewed are a slice of your true audience and smaller authors that swim in your pond. They are also less expensive to target.

Offline Sati_LRR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 06:09:09 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that the second (lower row) of AMS ads is now; customers who viewed this book also viewed?

This is only recently happened because my ads were showing up there two days ago. But then I also haven't had any sales data go on my ads for two days although the clicks and cost have been mounting up nicely.
This is what I've been seeing lately directly beneath the blurb & cover:

--Book Series (if there is one)  &  [a Box AD under the Buy/Add to List widget]
--Also-Boughts carousel once they've kicked in
--Sponsored products carousel
------Product details
------Author Bio
--Another! Sponsored products carousel
--Single AD banner for variety of non-related book stuff (clothes/shoes/bags etc)
------Reviews & [Box ad with a cover and that book's star review rating! WTF] (It looks like at a glance that the 1 star review in that book's ad is part of my book's review: https://i.imgur.com/VedWVQe.png)
------Amazon Giveaway
--Also-Views carousel (even when there's already an AB carousel)
------What other's buy after viewing
------Feeback
--Your recently viewed items and recommendations carousel

It's getting ridiculous that amount of other products customers have to sift through to actually see clear information about the product they clicked on.

Edited: forgot to turn off my ad-blockers
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:54:44 AM by Sati_LRR »

Online Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 06:37:01 AM »
Is it just me or are those marketeer ads gone from your books? I write PNR and had bad boy ads everywhere, now the ads are mainly related to PNR, Fantasy.

Has amazon finally cleaned up the ads section or am i dreamin?

I shall ask this question on the AMS ads thread, if it hasn't already been mentioned.

Offline Sati_LRR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 06:58:30 AM »
Is it just me or are those marketeer ads gone from your books? I write PNR and had bad boy ads everywhere, now the ads are mainly related to PNR, Fantasy.

Has amazon finally cleaned up the ads section or am i dreamin?

I shall ask this question on the AMS ads thread, if it hasn't already been mentioned.
You're dreaming, unfortunately. :( Mine are chock full of unrelated ads.

Online Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 07:12:36 AM »
You're dreaming, unfortunately. :( Mine are chock full of unrelated ads.

That's weird. I'm looking at Pnr, cozy, and some fantasy, and I'm only seeing a few here and there. Oh well, maybe they've run out of budget for those ones.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 08:55:15 AM »
That's weird. I'm looking at Pnr, cozy, and some fantasy, and I'm only seeing a few here and there. Oh well, maybe they've run out of budget for those ones.
Or maybe Amazon is gradually rolling out a change.

I can't tell because the ads on my pages were pretty much always for books of the same genre, at least when I took the time to notice them.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 10:54:43 AM »
Or maybe Amazon is gradually rolling out a change.

I can't tell because the ads on my pages were pretty much always for books of the same genre, at least when I took the time to notice them.

Wouldn't that be great. I don't mind competing with authors in my own genre for ad space, but it really miffed me off when the first five pages for ads were all for baby daddies and bad boy bikers who were shaggy-haired numpty looking eejits...just saying.  8)