Author Topic: Post BookBub depression! :(  (Read 4532 times)  

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
Re: Post BookBub depression! :(
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 10:16:48 AM »
Have you noticed significant differences between clicks reported in the FB promotional interface and any kind of link trackers you've used within a FB ad/boosted post? My tracked clicks on FB have always been half of what the FB interface reports. That's with roughly 1600 in FB boosted post spend over maybe 8 weeks of focused spending in the 140-280/week range which I found to be a sweet spot for impressions per dollar spent in that particular market (was focusing on Nook / B&N customers at the time to hit USA Today requirements during a preorder).

I think it is possible that some of the "clicks" in Facebook are actually "Likes" for your page, because I do get a lot more when I run Facebook campaigns. I advertise a free book on Facebook and have found the clicks reported and the conversions are exactly where I expect them to be, so this may or may not be true. I haven't used Bitly links in my FB ads and thought they had a thing against redirects ... hmmm ...

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline Rex Jameson

• Speculative fiction dork
    • View Profile
    • Speculative Musings
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 10:26:10 AM »
I think it is possible that some of the "clicks" in Facebook are actually "Likes" for your page, because I do get a lot more when I run Facebook campaigns. I advertise a free book on Facebook and have found the clicks reported and the conversions are exactly where I expect them to be, so this may or may not be true. I haven't used Bitly links in my FB ads and thought they had a thing against redirects ... hmmm ...

This would be strange to me because in the promotions interface they consider "likes" to be "engagements" and track them separately from "clicks". I've done an ad that was driving traffic to my blog (well, it was supposed to), and what it ended up doing was getting a ton of likes/loves/etc. The number of clicks was waaaaay less than the number of likes. Here's a screengrab of that promotion.

As you can see, it drove 1k+ likes but only 85 clicks (or so it says). My blog didn't get that many visits, so this was my first suspicion that the link clicks were inflated in the interface. Still, I kept trying to tweak ads to see what might work. Eventually, I got more to this kind of promotion.

To hell with likes, I want people to click toward the book. That being said, the actual tracked clicks in bitly were half of what is claimed here so I have no idea what FB was claiming was a click in that ad.

Offline SueSeabury

• View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 11:02:27 AM »
I think you're being too hard on yourself. It sounds like the sale worked well, that you have written something people like, and I will echo the others who said get the next one out there!

Write on,
~Sue
Sue Seabury | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »
To hell with likes, I want people to click toward the book. That being said, the actual tracked clicks in bitly were half of what is claimed here so I have no idea what FB was claiming was a click in that ad.

I know how to get to these screens from a Boosted Post, but NOT from a targeted ad. If you can tell me how, I could take a peek.

I'm not crazy about Likes either, BUT if I compare the # of "clicks" I see in the Ads Manager to downloads, it's always just where I expect--40% of clicks should lead to downloads of "Free", and 25% of clicks should lead to Sales of 99-cents. I have run FB ads on $2.99 standalones, but they were KU books and I'm not precisely sure what the conversion was. They seemed to help rank.

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »
There is no way the profit difference can be negligible between $0.20 CPC and $0.70 CPC. You're spending 3.5x as much per click (and thus, per sale) in the latter. I'd recommend rechecking your numbers, because you might be burning money at a prodigious rate. Which I don't say to be snarky, just as something I've done before when I thought everything was cool. 

In the Power Editor/Ads Manager, you can customize the reporting columns. Add "Outbound Clicks" and "Unique Outbound Clicks." If you're running regular ads (e.g. single image) using the Traffic objective, the Outbound Clicks (which are clicks that take the user off of Facebook) will match up with "Link Clicks." Half of the clicks should not be disappearing. If you use something like Canvas, then Facebook counts clicks to that as Link Clicks, which will result in a massive discrepancy between Link Clicks and Outbound Link Clicks.

I don't put the link in the ad copy up top. They have to click the button (download/shop now etc.) to click the link. I almost never boost posts, because I've found that regular ads perform much better.

Nick

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »
I almost never boost posts, because I've found that regular ads perform much better.

I find that boosted posts work better, but not for as long. Usually for a boosted post I target my fans and their friends. In the post I say, "Please like and share" and post my book. My fans share it with their friends, usually saying what they liked about the book, or that they're reading it for the second time, etc. That sort of social proof gets me extremely low CPC--usually below 5-cents/click--and excellent conversion.

I've never found boosted posts to work at all for non-fans though.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 06:23:21 PM »
I hate to sound like a broken record, but you're doing things in the wrong order. Before you start promoting a book, it needs a sequel. Nothing, no amount of promotions, ads, or arm twisting will sell a good first book as well as a good second book.

Broken record part:
Set it aside. Forget you wrote it. Don't bother checking sales. Put all your energy into publishing the sequel. Stop what you're doing, and start writing. Anything else (if you want to succeed as a writer) is a waste of time. With the minor exception of that you now know what BookBub can do.

It's a fantastic promotional tool, but it gets even more fantastic when there are more and more books after the one advertised. For instance, here's two months of Ruthless Charity's sales. It's the second book in what will be a four book ongoing series in April. Right now there are only three published. The series is a spinoff of a very successful 12 volume series. On December 24th, the first book in the Charity series, Merciless Charity, was featured in BookBub. Ruthless earned an average $50 more per day for 12 days. That's $600 more in earnings. It continues to sell $25 above normal today, six weeks later, adding an additional $750 on top of the $600. And it's just one book. When book one in the originial series is in BB, I see this same graph for all twelve books, the peak coming later with each subsequent title, and of course lower, because not everyone is going to read all twelve. It boggles the mind.

NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2018, 06:31:57 PM »
Listen to Wayne. He is right.

Offline Rex Jameson

• View Profile
    • Speculative Musings
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 06:44:37 PM »
Definitely agree with Wayne. It's best to have sequels if you are targeting a Bookbub feature. That's a well documented truth.

Nothing you can do about that now, of course. Just have to get more books out as you can.

Offline Rex Jameson

• View Profile
    • Speculative Musings
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 08:37:16 PM »
There is no way the profit difference can be negligible between $0.20 CPC and $0.70 CPC. You're spending 3.5x as much per click (and thus, per sale) in the latter. I'd recommend rechecking your numbers, because you might be burning money at a prodigious rate. Which I don't say to be snarky, just as something I've done before when I thought everything was cool. 

Just to clarify and repeat, you are correct that most people will want to focus on reducing CPM if they're wanting to maximize profit. For me, this was just an experiment in trying to be close to revenue neutral at 4.99 KU, see what's required to float rank with BookBub ads, and learn what ads work in this particular situation in the genres of my next series. Since I knew I was getting the money back and because any net profits are split 21 ways, I simply am not worried about net profit.

I'm mostly fishing for future readers at higher price points, and I feel like I'm learning a lot. Others doing BookBub ads might solely be interested in profits and for that, yours is good advice.

Offline MikeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »
I'm most definitely listening to Wayne! And Sue, and FFJ, and e'rybody else. Getting the next work out is now my priority.

Until recently, I did not take my writing seriously. It was just a hobby. Yes, it made some money last year... but it was hardly bill paying money. But I can now see that, with three or four earners out there, I might could make a serious go at this.

To that end, I'm making moves. My day gig is that of web developer. I just wrapped a contract and have decided to turn work away for the next few months. I'll use that time to spin a second story and start in on a third.

In the meantime, I plan to continue figuring out how to promote. I do not believe in luck.

Or at least not to a degree that I would pin my fate to it. There are plenty of great indies out there---far better writers than I---who have a portfolio full of excellent work, yet still barely scraping by. Luck, in my opinion, is more about the distribution of writing ability. But when it comes to money, even the lesser blessed of us can earn! :)

My book is a pretty good example. It's been out since 2014 and, until 2017, it earned maybe a couple hundred bucks. Around June of 2016, I gave up and marked it as free. I'd rather have readers and no money than no readers and no money. To my surprise, people started reading it. And some left reviews. The more reviews, the more readers. I decided to try my hand at promoting (freebooksie, ent, etc), with reviews being the central goal. When it had earned 50+ reviews on Zon (Dec 2016), I killed perma free status and started charging.

Suddenly I was back to zero readers. So I started promoting again, this time focusing on AMS. That was slow going, but I started crawling down the ranks. Eventually small successes snowballed. I think it would have kept going if I hadn't gotten a little bored, allowed myself to get distracted and let my ads expire (June 2017).

The money I earned had *nothing* to do with luck. The luck was that I had written a book people didn't seem to had. More important, I'm lucky in that I have a methodical nature like Rex when it comes to figuring out how to use promotional tools. And that I happen to enjoy figuring that stuff out, almost like a video game.

That said, I'm totally on board with the #1 advice given here: Write, write, write!

But I will carve out time to learn FB ads and Adwords, and sharpen my AMS. Just in case the next book doesn't suck, I'd like it to earn for me.

So I'm really hoping Rex (and the gang!) will continue sharing their promotional experiences!

+++

UPDATE
Here are my Amazon sales this week, since bumping my price to $2.99:
Mon - 21
Tue - 19
Wed - 47
Thu - 33
Fri - 20
Sat - 33
Sun - 18 (as of 1pm... good day on tap?)

My current Amazon US rank: #5490

Tomorrow I will "un-pause" my AdWords campaigns. Google recently created new ads for me. I'm not sure what that's about, but apparently they were as dissatisfied with my Google ads as I was, haha.

I currently have 3 new AMS ads that went live a week ago. They've only had 178 impressions, and 0 clicks. So I think I will "pause" my other ads tomorrow and try to force AMS to use the new ones. None of those ads should overlap, btw. I think they are just slow to start showing new ads.

Offline HopelessFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2018, 11:07:27 AM »
You're not in KU. KU borrows always skew ranking, especially with promos. Your rank dropping isn't surprising. The good news is that it also isn't a big deal. How are you doing on other retailers?

When it comes to ranking on Amazon, depending on your genre, you need to stick at a very high rank to gain organic visibility (which keeps you at a higher rank). This usually takes consistent high spend advertising on books that aren't new releases. (New releases get more algo love plus HNR list plus Amazon more likely to send it out, etc.)

99c and not in KU, outside of a short-term promo, isn't going to help you with a long tail, regardless of price. You'd be foregoing high royalty earnings and still drop below organic visibility (thus losing the benefit of the temporary rank jump). Even in KU, a short-term promo isn't going to have the lasting power that it used to for most authors. Amazon loves the churn.

But like I said, Amazon is one retailer. And I've heard from others that a BB can do amazing things to jumpstart a book on other platforms.

The high earning tail associated with a BB on Amazon (and probably on other retailers) comes from sell-through in a series these days.

TLDR; You had a very successful promo and what is going on with your book is normal. 99c would probably not benefit you at all. Keep writing :)

Offline MikeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »
I'm now very seriously considering KU for that (rank boosting) reason.

Sales at other dist points have dropped off again, with Kobo being a tiny ray of sunshine. But the sun is setting soon, even there.

Current thought is to give FB/Adwords a serious go in coming weeks, to try to prop up non-Zon sales. If I can't get that to happen prior to my next release, I may go straight KU.

Offline Rex Jameson

• View Profile
    • Speculative Musings
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2018, 10:11:12 PM »
I'm now very seriously considering KU for that (rank boosting) reason.

Sales at other dist points have dropped off again, with Kobo being a tiny ray of sunshine. But the sun is setting soon, even there.

Current thought is to give FB/Adwords a serious go in coming weeks, to try to prop up non-Zon sales. If I can't get that to happen prior to my next release, I may go straight KU.

Unless I want to make another USA Today run, and I really don't see the need, then my current plan is to focus on KU. The Kindle markets are easier to target as there is such a huge, voracious audience for high/epic fantasy on Amazon and in KU. For me and my genres, this just seems to make sense, from my experience with FB ads and BookBub ads targeting Amazon, B&N and Apple right now.

Since you mentioned some interest in seeing some of my follow up AB Testing in targeted markets, I'll show some of my supplemental market testing to outline my own process for this and how I've been working on refining the audiences to determine how I will be marketing the new series, using the box set as a test product for the demographics.

Here are three target audiences on BookBub ads that show reasonable returns. Two of these I will definitely use, and one I will definitely not use. I put a few notes here just to describe my own takeaways. Obviously, the Dragon ad is not something I'll be using for my new series, though that's regrettable as it has great return on the design elements for many demos. I may be able to use it as inspiration for ads for The Dragon Prince, the third book in the series, which does feature dragons.

Morgan Rice target, 30 bucks each, Medium burn (<24 hours). I've used this target for several months, so CTR is lower than beginning of box set. I've saturated this market a bit.

Dragon 2. CTR 1.96%

Undead vs Demons 1. CTR 2.06%

David Wells target, 30 bucks each, Medium burn (<24 hours). I've used this target for several months, so CTR is lower than beginning of box set. Same issue as with Rice.

Dragon 2. CTR 2.46%

Undead vs Demons 1. CTR 2.10%

Undead vs Demons 4. CTR 1.61%

Christopher Paolini target, 30 bucks each, Super slow burn (half burn in 3 days--this is a terrible, terrible burn rate). First time trying Paolini. Will not do again. More importantly, look at how the ad CTRs flipped between Undead vs. Demons 1 and 4. If I did, for whatever reason, decide to try Paolini again, I would want to create an ad derivative of 4 and tweak it until the CTR is more like Dragon 2. Ideally, it would be better than this. The burn rate means that despite his large BookBub following, at best this is a layered target demo and not something that could be a workhorse for velocity of sales (e.g., if aiming to put a book in the top 1k paid and keep it there for a week or so to drive sales to the rest of the series or to build also boughts in a targeted way).

Dragon 2. CTR 1.31%

Undead vs Demons 1. CTR 0.52%

Undead vs Demons 4. CTR 1.02%

This is a small segment of my AB Tests in BookBub ads since the last I posted them, but I wanted to show how the exact same ad can be VERY different from author target to author target in terms of CTR. As I've said before, what I've learned from 10k+ in BookBub ads is that you really need to AB Test each target audience/demo. You can't just assume one ad is always better all the time. Moving forward, I have some ideas on how I am going to approach my next series ads, the different hooks I'm going to try, ad changes for specific author audiences, etc.

Hopefully, the above tests help show the method I'm using right now. If you have questions, feel free to ask. The box set is still under 10k ranking using nothing but BookBub ads and a much slower burn rate on ad money than I had used since December. I have more tests to run over the next week or two, but I'm probably going to take my foot off the pedal soon and let it coast until the set is taken down. Probably. It honestly doesn't matter as it seems I can maintain this promotional burn and still at least break even, possibly for months.

Anyway, here's the past 7 days to show the rank being floated. There were a couple of days when I was really busy at work and didn't have a lot of interesting AB tests I wanted to run anyway, so I did allow it to go above 10k, but for the most part, it seems like you can keep a 4.99 book under 10k paid ranking at about 90 bucks a day in BookBub ads with 1.5-3% CTR (if you are not trying to game CPM to squeeze more overall impressions and are instead burning impressions at maximum CPM bids).

YMMV.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »
Until recently, I did not take my writing seriously. It was just a hobby. Yes, it made some money last year... but it was hardly bill paying money. But I can now see that, with three or four earners out there, I might could make a serious go at this.

My idea, when I released my first book, was that I might make enough extra cash to buy some woodworking tools, so I could get off the road and build cabinets and canoes. I was an over the road trucker at the time, away from home and family for two weeks at a time, then home for one day. I somehow guessed that one book wouldn't do the job, and quickly wrote a second, longer one, in a matter of two months. During that two months, the first one earned $59.68, not quite enough for a cheap circular saw, much less the equipment I needed. But, after the second book was released on December 18th, 2013, my total sales for that month leaped up to $529.77.

That was about the time I found KBoards. Armed with a few simple marketing ideas learned here, January, 2014 was a $2644.87 month. A light bulb switched on inside my skull. Fast forward four years to last month, and the release of my 15th novel in late December, coupled with a BookBub promo three days before the release, and January turned into an estimated $78,238.19 month. That's a lot of western red cedar, mahogany, and teak.

I still don't have the power tools, but the woodworking shop is incorporated in the design of the new home I'll build in 2019. ;)
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2018, 07:51:47 AM »

I started out just writing as a hobby, too. When I had two novels and a short story out and was making $60 a month, I was pleased as pie! I came up with a ten year plan to leave my job: http://ibringthefireodin.tumblr.com/post/37334758606/self-publishingthe-10-year-plan

Two years later I went "full-time" (as much as a mom with two kids can.)

You have had a terrific start! You CAN write, man. Now keep writing!

Offline MikeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 10:15:41 AM »
Fast forward four years to last month, and the release of my 15th novel in late December, coupled with a BookBub promo three days before the release, and January turned into an estimated $78,238.19 month. That's a lot of western red cedar, mahogany, and teak.

I still don't have the power tools, but the woodworking shop is incorporated in the design of the new home I'll build in 2019. ;)

Holy crap on a cracker, Wayne. Wow. Just... wow. And CG... amazing. I read your 10 Year manifesto and immediately started browsing for the Step-by-Step followup. :)

So, uh, anybody looking to adopt a kid with a beard? I can work a lathe and change diapers. :D

In all seriousness, thank you for sharing this. From long haul trucker / a mommy with a hobby---> to successful author? Awesome sauce.

A large chunk of why I haven't taken writing seriously is that my own background makes me an unlikely candidate for success as a writer. Very, very unlikely (http://mitty-walters.com/about-the-author/).

So color me inspired to hear that you guys were able to start from such humble beginnings and go on to achieve what you have.

While I have your ear, any other advice you can offer? Aside from write more (I'm on it, promise!). Like, if you could go back and pass along one or two suggestions to yourself as you were starting out on this journey, what would it be?

I'm also curious about the ratio of luck to work that you would attribute to your success?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:17:43 AM by MikeyD »

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 12:20:19 PM »

A large chunk of why I haven't taken writing seriously is that my own background makes me an unlikely candidate for success as a writer. Very, very unlikely

I have fairly serious imposter syndrome, too. I don't really consider myself a "writer," more a story teller. And that's alright. The most important thing in this gig is that you reach people. You've done it once, you can do it again (even if you "miss" every now and then.) You've managed more than most authors have already!

Offline MikeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
I have fairly serious imposter syndrome, too. I don't really consider myself a "writer," more a story teller.

Wow. That's exactly me. On both points. Though it's been with me my entire adult life, the "imposter syndrome" is even more pronounced when I pretend to be an author. And now that I've been outed to fam/friends (I was in the closet until recently), I tend deflect by saying the same thing: "Yeah well, I'm really just a story teller."

Bummer for you, but I'm happy to find a kindred soul.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »
Bummer for you, but I'm happy to find a kindred soul.

Thank you for the encouragement.

A lot of "writers" write things that are too difficult for me to read, so I don't find it a bummer. I'm super happy to tell a story in a way people can enjoy; more happy than a Nobel in literature could ever make me. People who are chronically and terminally ill have written to tell me my writing helped them in difficult times. I'd rather make people happy than be a great writer.

You're welcome for the encouragement. Keep on keeping on!

Offline CarolynVMurray

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2018, 09:17:13 PM »
"I'm also now seriously considering going KU. The vast majority of Top 20 books in all my genres are KU. Most of the exceptions to that are big name and/or big pub works."

It sounds like you might want to do this, and sooner rather than later. If you appear in the Also-Boughts or AMS Sponsored ads of these top sellers in your genre, and their large KU readership click on your ad and go to your Amazon page, they're going to want to be able to read you in KU, and you don't want to lose them.

Right now, about 2/3 of my income from a recently launched pen name is coming from KU. You may be surprised at the jump in income.
Carolyn V. Murray | Website

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2018, 11:21:25 PM »
"I'm also now seriously considering going KU. The vast majority of Top 20 books in all my genres are KU. Most of the exceptions to that are big name and/or big pub works."

It sounds like you might want to do this, and sooner rather than later. If you appear in the Also-Boughts or AMS Sponsored ads of these top sellers in your genre, and their large KU readership click on your ad and go to your Amazon page, they're going to want to be able to read you in KU, and you don't want to lose them.

Right now, about 2/3 of my income from a recently launched pen name is coming from KU. You may be surprised at the jump in income.

With luck, KU is kind to new writers. First book ever published was last September, warts and all. Crappy cover. Finally fixed it January 2018. Reached 3 million reads by then. Ebook sales were excellent. Color me suprised.

Offline MikeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 06:56:55 AM »
Thanks for the input on KU, Carolyn and Solo.

At the moment I am experimenting with Adwords and other promo services to see if I can find a way to wake up my iTunes, Kobo, B&N, and Google sales. When that fails (looking like it will), I'll go KU. Planning to give it another couple weeks.

Question: If disable sales of the book at other vendors to do a 3 month spin on KU, then go back... will I lose all the reviews?

EDIT: Btw, I'm direct at all of the major distributors (if that makes a dif).

Offline Rex Jameson

• View Profile
    • Speculative Musings
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »
Thanks for the input on KU, Carolyn and Solo.

At the moment I am experimenting with Adwords and other promo services to see if I can find a way to wake up my iTunes, Kobo, B&N, and Google sales. When that fails (looking like it will), I'll go KU. Planning to give it another couple weeks.

Question: If disable sales of the book at other vendors to do a 3 month spin on KU, then go back... will I lose all the reviews?

EDIT: Btw, I'm direct at all of the major distributors (if that makes a dif).

Do you mean on iTunes, Kobo, B&N, etc.? As long as you use the same ISBN if/when you put them back up, the reviews should repopulate later. It may take a few emails to tech support to speed the process along, but for Amazon, the reviews are tied to the ISBN. I can confirm that process is straight forward. Since you are direct with the other vendors, this should be easier, I would think.

BTW, just as an update, based on the advice of Nicholas Erik, one of the last experiments on BookBub ads I ran was kind of interesting, and I thought I would post about it here.

When I dropped the CPM budget from 12.15 to 8, the resulting CTR took around a 50% hit across all tested targets (and in one case, much worse). Has anyone else noticed this? The ads took longer to burn, which was expected since I wasn't willing to pay a higher bid at auctions. However, on 3 different ads that I've targeted the same way many times at CPM==12.15, the CTRs went from 2% to 1.13% (Salvatore), 3% to 0.79% (Jensen), and 2.5% to 1.24% (Wells). Has anyone else noticed a much higher CTR when you have higher auction bids for CPM? I'm curious if BookBub is auctioning based on a quality attribute of the reader (e.g., book readers who tend to click more ads may be put into the higher CPM auction bucket).

From a statistical perspective, if this is true, it's interesting because what it means is that you have a non-random sample bias depending on how much you're willing to spend. Essentially, you can't compare a low CPM ad spend to a high CPM ad spend. This affects AB testing in certain ways (and positive ways, imo, if you can actually target a more engageable audience simply by upping your CPM). If true, it also affects how you can extrapolate from AB Testing to real world with BookBub ads. Ideally, if true, you'd want to make sure your CPM for AB Testing is the same as CPM for full burn ad spends at higher budget commitments, since the goal of AB Testing is to identify good target markets and ads that work in them and then put more money behind a campaign.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2018, 06:51:34 PM »
Holy crap on a cracker, Wayne. Wow. Just... wow. And CG... amazing. I read your 10 Year manifesto and immediately started browsing for the Step-by-Step followup. :)

So, uh, anybody looking to adopt a kid with a beard? I can work a lathe and change diapers. :D

In all seriousness, thank you for sharing this. From long haul trucker / a mommy with a hobby---> to successful author? Awesome sauce.

A large chunk of why I haven't taken writing seriously is that my own background makes me an unlikely candidate for success as a writer. Very, very unlikely (http://mitty-walters.com/about-the-author/).

So color me inspired to hear that you guys were able to start from such humble beginnings and go on to achieve what you have.

While I have your ear, any other advice you can offer? Aside from write more (I'm on it, promise!). Like, if you could go back and pass along one or two suggestions to yourself as you were starting out on this journey, what would it be?

I'm also curious about the ratio of luck to work that you would attribute to your success?

Luck is involved, absolutely. The problem is that few are prepared to snatch the gold ring, when Lady Luck smiles. If I could go back and tell newbie me anything it would be to plan early for success. Don't just dream, "What if?" Plan for it, set up a professional website, do all the things you'd do, if you absolutely knew without doubt that you were going to succeed. Then, when fortune presents itself, you're ready.

"Chance favors the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur
Semper Fi,