NetGalley

Author Topic: Strugglers' support thread  (Read 5108 times)  

Online Lynn Is A Pseudonym

• Human.
    • View Profile
Strugglers' support thread
« on: February 02, 2018, 10:11:59 AM »
Are you struggling with something writing related? This is the thread for you!

I struggle to write as often as I should. I struggle to hit the word counts I know I should since writing pays my bills. I struggle with boredom and lack of motivation with writing more often than makes sense, since I love writing and don't want to do anything else.

I struggle with feelings of inadequacy as a writer some days. Not every day. Some days I struggle to understand why I struggle with feelings of inadequacy as a writer because it makes no sense.

Just... a thread for those moments when you really just need someone to know you're human but maybe don't know how to cope with that fact. :)

Online Paranormal Kitty

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Strugglers' support thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »
Thank you for making this thread! I've been struggling so much just to get something ready to publish. I haven't been able to work on it for the past 2-3 months because of life getting in the way. Now that I have, I've realized what was bugging me about the first book the whole time is that the plot changes in the middle, and it's really two books. So now I'm separating it into two. But the good news is that when it's finally all done, I'll have a whole trilogy ready about the same time. It's not been nearly as easy as I thought it would be when I first started, but I don't want to put something out if I don't think it's my best work.

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
Thank you for making this thread! I've been struggling so much just to get something ready to publish. I haven't been able to work on it for the past 2-3 months because of life getting in the way. Now that I have, I've realized what was bugging me about the first book the whole time is that the plot changes in the middle, and it's really two books. So now I'm separating it into two. But the good news is that when it's finally all done, I'll have a whole trilogy ready about the same time. It's not been nearly as easy as I thought it would be when I first started, but I don't want to put something out if I don't think it's my best work.

Good luck with it. I can feel the impatience bubbling up. It's the worst part! But you're trusting your gut and that's good. It'll be worth it in the end, if that's what makes you happy with your story.

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 11:12:39 AM »
I'm struggling with not writing for three weeks.  I'm finally back to editing what I wrote before I got the flu, but still not really 'clicking' yet.  I was able to do some marketing this week, but hoping to feel more creative by the weekend. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Online Paranormal Kitty

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »
Good luck with it. I can feel the impatience bubbling up. It's the worst part! But you're trusting your gut and that's good. It'll be worth it in the end, if that's what makes you happy with your story.

Thanks, I hope so! I just keep thinking "you only get one chance to make a first impression" so I want it to be a good one.

I'm struggling with not writing for three weeks.  I'm finally back to editing what I wrote before I got the flu, but still not really 'clicking' yet.  I was able to do some marketing this week, but hoping to feel more creative by the weekend. :)

Flu is horrible this year...hope you are feeling better.

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 11:37:10 AM »
Flu is horrible this year...hope you are feeling better.

Thank you, Kitty! :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:07 AM »
I'm second guessing a draft. It's a draft for Pete's sake. I usually do the bare bones and hand it off to my sister to let me know if it works. So it's okay for it to be choppy or lacking in description. It's basically a fat outline, but for some reason I'm writing it like it's the final draft. So weird. And the whole time I'm feeling like I'm cheating at something. Ugh.

Science Fiction, Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »
I'm second guessing a draft. It's a draft for Pete's sake. I usually do the bare bones and hand it off to my sister to let me know if it works. So it's okay for it to be choppy or lacking in description. It's basically a fat outline, but for some reason I'm writing it like it's the final draft. So weird. And the whole time I'm feeling like I'm cheating at something. Ugh.

The cheating thing is weird! Your subconscious is probably trying to tell you something and like usual, it's being far, far too subtle. At least that's how it usually goes with me. :)

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 01:07:43 PM »

Sorry about that. The flu is the worst. The fatigue can drag on for weeks and weeks afterward. Good luck with the weekend.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 01:12:48 PM »
Gee, Lynn, get out of my head! I could have written this very post. :(
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »
The cheating thing is weird! Your subconscious is probably trying to tell you something and like usual, it's being far, far too subtle. At least that's how it usually goes with me. :)

Sometimes I figure it out just as I'm falling asleep. That's why I've got a notepad next to the bed.

Science Fiction, Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »
Sometimes I figure it out just as I'm falling asleep. That's why I've got a notepad next to the bed.
I use my phone. That way I don't even have to type. I just speak into it and go back to sleep. Then the next morning I wonder what "mrweos lo bla a satty" means...

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 01:24:32 PM »
Gee, Lynn, get out of my head! I could have written this very post. :(
It's the new year. I can count on having trouble at the new year, the end of the year, during the summer (Jun/July/Aug), spring break, fall break...

Gah.

There's no escaping it.

Offline rdperry57

• Livingston, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Rick Perry - Author Page
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 02:44:00 PM »
I'm struggling with wanting to work on the next novel, but desperately needing to edit and polish the previous one! I currently have one published, two written, but in need of editing and revising, and one new one started. I have one novel in the hands of several beta readers as well.

Rick Perry | Rick Perry's Blog

Offline Felisia

• Fluffy Kitties are Bestest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 02:51:53 PM »
Currently struggling with waves of self-doubt with no one but myself for support. Despite my third book it's still hard to get the words down. I thought it would get easier as I went along but it seems to not be that way for me.  I can relate to wanting to push ahead to working on that next great novel but being strapped down by the current project. It's that itch we have that wants us to keep creating no matter what. :D

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »
I'm about halfway through a short novel. I write about medieval historical figures. This one is so obscure and didn't really live a very exciting life after 18 (she was a captive for most of her adult life) and the story seems to be turning into the tale of her grandmother's later years  viewed through her child's eyes. Maybe not such a bad thing--her gran was Eleanor of Aquitaine. But not quite what I anticipated when I decided to write about the granddaughter (who is buried locally to me, in a lost grave, which is why I wanted to tell her story--local interest sales/talks etc.)
Due to feeling unsure, I am just not 'feeling the love' for this one...
Also feeling the push to get something new out in the next 6 weeks or so....

Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Online Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 04:18:11 PM »
I struggle constantly with marketing. I loathe it, whilst recognising how vital it is. I thought the e-book market was saturated when I first dipped my toes in around 4 years ago, but it was a ghost town compared to how it feels now.

sam kates

Offline MM3313

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 04:43:55 PM »
Love this thread, thanks for posting! Really focusing on being more organized and breaking longer-term plans into specific steps (daily word counts, etc), but easier said than done, right? Trying to, for once, not let the inevitable small setbacks and frustrations snowball into much bigger problems and just making sure to keep moving forward.

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 06:41:09 PM »
Currently struggling with waves of self-doubt with no one but myself for support. Despite my third book it's still hard to get the words down. I thought it would get easier as I went along but it seems to not be that way for me.  I can relate to wanting to push ahead to working on that next great novel but being strapped down by the current project. It's that itch we have that wants us to keep creating no matter what. :D

I could have written this post. Also working on my third novel and struggling so much with the self-doubt. I am probably 3-5 chapters from the end and it's been like pulling teeth the whole time. Usually by the end I'm flying. Not this time. All I can think about is starting book 4, but l can't do that until book 3 is done. Gah. :/

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 04:53:37 AM »
I struggle with time. I used to get up before the family got up, but my family is now getting up early and early as my daughter grows. I'm to the point of writing in the middle of the night, then going back to bed, and even then, my wife is now randomly waking up or the cat wants attention.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline Rob Martin

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Robert Martin Writes
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 07:33:36 AM »
I use my phone. That way I don't even have to type. I just speak into it and go back to sleep. Then the next morning I wonder what "mrweos lo bla a satty" means...
That's easy. You were channeling Snoopy and "It was a dark and stormy night...

On a serious note, I struggle with time. I make the time to write 1k words a night between 10pm and midnight, then run exhausted the next day. If I'm too tired and can't meet the goal, I feel like crap until I can meet it the next night. Thus, I run on a cycle of exhausted physically or emotionally. Because of that, I hit a wall around day 20 and begin doubting everything I've done.

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 08:45:01 AM »
That's easy. You were channeling Snoopy and "It was a dark and stormy night...

On a serious note, I struggle with time. I make the time to write 1k words a night between 10pm and midnight, then run exhausted the next day. If I'm too tired and can't meet the goal, I feel like crap until I can meet it the next night. Thus, I run on a cycle of exhausted physically or emotionally. Because of that, I hit a wall around day 20 and begin doubting everything I've done.

I procrastinate until it's late, then stay up even later trying to make sure I don't go to bed without words written, but then I don't write anyway, so the next day I wake up tired and can't get going until late in the afternoon because I'm dragging, but then I put off writing and end up staying up late again to make sure I don't go to bed without words written...

What I'm trying to say is I feel your pain. Even if for a somewhat different, self-inflicted reason. :)

I hope you find something to help you slip into a better routine.

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 08:47:30 AM »
I could have written this post. Also working on my third novel and struggling so much with the self-doubt. I am probably 3-5 chapters from the end and it's been like pulling teeth the whole time. Usually by the end I'm flying. Not this time. All I can think about is starting book 4, but l can't do that until book 3 is done. Gah. :/

I never fly at the end but I've had books that ended much more organically than others. A few of them were so difficult to end it felt like trying to shove a watermelon into a mailbox. You know, those tiny ones you get at the post office. ;)

Offline Lisa Manifold

• What a long, strange trip it's been.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 09:36:45 AM »
Trying to balance new goals for 2018 when life is also setting new goals, more like newer and bigger challenges, LOL.

OK, sort of LOL. It's frustrating. I finally have my plans in place for how I want to continue organizing and living my writing life, and my personal life goes bananas. Not in a horrible way, or anything, but in that everyone in my life needs more.

Which translates to I must be FAR more organized, and getting semi-organized was already a feat.

Lisa Manifold | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
I'm in limbo - not yet ready to give up Sirens' Song (it's being laid out as I speak), and not yet ready to move on to the next project, which I have outlined, and ready to be worked on.
]
www.wyrmtalespress.com  wyrmtalespress@gmail.com
Join my mailing list at at http://eepurl.com/JA5e1