Author Topic: Strugglers' support thread  (Read 3507 times)  

Offline Lynn Is A Pseudonym

• Human.
    • View Profile
Strugglers' support thread
« on: February 02, 2018, 10:11:59 AM »
Are you struggling with something writing related? This is the thread for you!

I struggle to write as often as I should. I struggle to hit the word counts I know I should since writing pays my bills. I struggle with boredom and lack of motivation with writing more often than makes sense, since I love writing and don't want to do anything else.

I struggle with feelings of inadequacy as a writer some days. Not every day. Some days I struggle to understand why I struggle with feelings of inadequacy as a writer because it makes no sense.

Just... a thread for those moments when you really just need someone to know you're human but maybe don't know how to cope with that fact. :)

Online Paranormal Kitty

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Strugglers' support thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »
Thank you for making this thread! I've been struggling so much just to get something ready to publish. I haven't been able to work on it for the past 2-3 months because of life getting in the way. Now that I have, I've realized what was bugging me about the first book the whole time is that the plot changes in the middle, and it's really two books. So now I'm separating it into two. But the good news is that when it's finally all done, I'll have a whole trilogy ready about the same time. It's not been nearly as easy as I thought it would be when I first started, but I don't want to put something out if I don't think it's my best work.

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
Thank you for making this thread! I've been struggling so much just to get something ready to publish. I haven't been able to work on it for the past 2-3 months because of life getting in the way. Now that I have, I've realized what was bugging me about the first book the whole time is that the plot changes in the middle, and it's really two books. So now I'm separating it into two. But the good news is that when it's finally all done, I'll have a whole trilogy ready about the same time. It's not been nearly as easy as I thought it would be when I first started, but I don't want to put something out if I don't think it's my best work.

Good luck with it. I can feel the impatience bubbling up. It's the worst part! But you're trusting your gut and that's good. It'll be worth it in the end, if that's what makes you happy with your story.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 11:12:39 AM »
I'm struggling with not writing for three weeks.  I'm finally back to editing what I wrote before I got the flu, but still not really 'clicking' yet.  I was able to do some marketing this week, but hoping to feel more creative by the weekend. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Lavender Lass Website | Lorri Moulton Amazon | Anna-Violetta Website | Anna-Violetta Amazon

Online Paranormal Kitty

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »
Good luck with it. I can feel the impatience bubbling up. It's the worst part! But you're trusting your gut and that's good. It'll be worth it in the end, if that's what makes you happy with your story.

Thanks, I hope so! I just keep thinking "you only get one chance to make a first impression" so I want it to be a good one.

I'm struggling with not writing for three weeks.  I'm finally back to editing what I wrote before I got the flu, but still not really 'clicking' yet.  I was able to do some marketing this week, but hoping to feel more creative by the weekend. :)

Flu is horrible this year...hope you are feeling better.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 11:37:10 AM »
Flu is horrible this year...hope you are feeling better.

Thank you, Kitty! :)

Lorri Moulton | Lavender Lass Website | Lorri Moulton Amazon | Anna-Violetta Website | Anna-Violetta Amazon

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:07 AM »
I'm second guessing a draft. It's a draft for Pete's sake. I usually do the bare bones and hand it off to my sister to let me know if it works. So it's okay for it to be choppy or lacking in description. It's basically a fat outline, but for some reason I'm writing it like it's the final draft. So weird. And the whole time I'm feeling like I'm cheating at something. Ugh.

Post-Apocalyptic, Space Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »
I'm second guessing a draft. It's a draft for Pete's sake. I usually do the bare bones and hand it off to my sister to let me know if it works. So it's okay for it to be choppy or lacking in description. It's basically a fat outline, but for some reason I'm writing it like it's the final draft. So weird. And the whole time I'm feeling like I'm cheating at something. Ugh.

The cheating thing is weird! Your subconscious is probably trying to tell you something and like usual, it's being far, far too subtle. At least that's how it usually goes with me. :)

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 01:07:43 PM »

Sorry about that. The flu is the worst. The fatigue can drag on for weeks and weeks afterward. Good luck with the weekend.

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 01:12:48 PM »
Gee, Lynn, get out of my head! I could have written this very post. :(
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »
The cheating thing is weird! Your subconscious is probably trying to tell you something and like usual, it's being far, far too subtle. At least that's how it usually goes with me. :)

Sometimes I figure it out just as I'm falling asleep. That's why I've got a notepad next to the bed.

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »
Sometimes I figure it out just as I'm falling asleep. That's why I've got a notepad next to the bed.
I use my phone. That way I don't even have to type. I just speak into it and go back to sleep. Then the next morning I wonder what "mrweos lo bla a satty" means...

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 01:24:32 PM »
Gee, Lynn, get out of my head! I could have written this very post. :(
It's the new year. I can count on having trouble at the new year, the end of the year, during the summer (Jun/July/Aug), spring break, fall break...

Gah.

There's no escaping it.

Offline rdperry57

• Livingston, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Rick Perry - Author Page
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 02:44:00 PM »
I'm struggling with wanting to work on the next novel, but desperately needing to edit and polish the previous one! I currently have one published, two written, but in need of editing and revising, and one new one started. I have one novel in the hands of several beta readers as well.

Rick Perry | Rick Perry's Blog

Offline Felisia

• Fluffy Kitties are Bestest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 02:51:53 PM »
Currently struggling with waves of self-doubt with no one but myself for support. Despite my third book it's still hard to get the words down. I thought it would get easier as I went along but it seems to not be that way for me.  I can relate to wanting to push ahead to working on that next great novel but being strapped down by the current project. It's that itch we have that wants us to keep creating no matter what. :D

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »
I'm about halfway through a short novel. I write about medieval historical figures. This one is so obscure and didn't really live a very exciting life after 18 (she was a captive for most of her adult life) and the story seems to be turning into the tale of her grandmother's later years  viewed through her child's eyes. Maybe not such a bad thing--her gran was Eleanor of Aquitaine. But not quite what I anticipated when I decided to write about the granddaughter (who is buried locally to me, in a lost grave, which is why I wanted to tell her story--local interest sales/talks etc.)
Due to feeling unsure, I am just not 'feeling the love' for this one...
Also feeling the push to get something new out in the next 6 weeks or so....
Author of books both historical and fantastical-Stonehenge, Arthurian, Richard III, English queens & mistresses, Robin Hood, dystopian Canada (!) and more...
Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Online Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 04:18:11 PM »
I struggle constantly with marketing. I loathe it, whilst recognising how vital it is. I thought the e-book market was saturated when I first dipped my toes in around 4 years ago, but it was a ghost town compared to how it feels now.

sam kates

Offline MM3313

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 04:43:55 PM »
Love this thread, thanks for posting! Really focusing on being more organized and breaking longer-term plans into specific steps (daily word counts, etc), but easier said than done, right? Trying to, for once, not let the inevitable small setbacks and frustrations snowball into much bigger problems and just making sure to keep moving forward.

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 06:41:09 PM »
Currently struggling with waves of self-doubt with no one but myself for support. Despite my third book it's still hard to get the words down. I thought it would get easier as I went along but it seems to not be that way for me.  I can relate to wanting to push ahead to working on that next great novel but being strapped down by the current project. It's that itch we have that wants us to keep creating no matter what. :D

I could have written this post. Also working on my third novel and struggling so much with the self-doubt. I am probably 3-5 chapters from the end and it's been like pulling teeth the whole time. Usually by the end I'm flying. Not this time. All I can think about is starting book 4, but l can't do that until book 3 is done. Gah. :/

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 04:53:37 AM »
I struggle with time. I used to get up before the family got up, but my family is now getting up early and early as my daughter grows. I'm to the point of writing in the middle of the night, then going back to bed, and even then, my wife is now randomly waking up or the cat wants attention.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline RobMartin

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Robert Martin Writes
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 07:33:36 AM »
I use my phone. That way I don't even have to type. I just speak into it and go back to sleep. Then the next morning I wonder what "mrweos lo bla a satty" means...
That's easy. You were channeling Snoopy and "It was a dark and stormy night...

On a serious note, I struggle with time. I make the time to write 1k words a night between 10pm and midnight, then run exhausted the next day. If I'm too tired and can't meet the goal, I feel like crap until I can meet it the next night. Thus, I run on a cycle of exhausted physically or emotionally. Because of that, I hit a wall around day 20 and begin doubting everything I've done.

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 08:45:01 AM »

On a serious note, I struggle with time. I make the time to write 1k words a night between 10pm and midnight, then run exhausted the next day. If I'm too tired and can't meet the goal, I feel like crap until I can meet it the next night. Thus, I run on a cycle of exhausted physically or emotionally. Because of that, I hit a wall around day 20 and begin doubting everything I've done.

I procrastinate until it's late, then stay up even later trying to make sure I don't go to bed without words written, but then I don't write anyway, so the next day I wake up tired and can't get going until late in the afternoon because I'm dragging, but then I put off writing and end up staying up late again to make sure I don't go to bed without words written...

What I'm trying to say is I feel your pain. Even if for a somewhat different, self-inflicted reason. :)

I hope you find something to help you slip into a better routine.

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 08:47:30 AM »
I could have written this post. Also working on my third novel and struggling so much with the self-doubt. I am probably 3-5 chapters from the end and it's been like pulling teeth the whole time. Usually by the end I'm flying. Not this time. All I can think about is starting book 4, but l can't do that until book 3 is done. Gah. :/

I never fly at the end but I've had books that ended much more organically than others. A few of them were so difficult to end it felt like trying to shove a watermelon into a mailbox. You know, those tiny ones you get at the post office. ;)

Offline Lisa Manifold

• What a long, strange trip it's been.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 09:36:45 AM »
Trying to balance new goals for 2018 when life is also setting new goals, more like newer and bigger challenges, LOL.

OK, sort of LOL. It's frustrating. I finally have my plans in place for how I want to continue organizing and living my writing life, and my personal life goes bananas. Not in a horrible way, or anything, but in that everyone in my life needs more.

Which translates to I must be FAR more organized, and getting semi-organized was already a feat.

Lisa Manifold | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
I'm in limbo - not yet ready to give up Sirens' Song (it's being laid out as I speak), and not yet ready to move on to the next project, which I have outlined, and ready to be worked on.

www.wyrmtalespress.com  wyrmtalespress@gmail.com
Join my mailing list at at http://eepurl.com/JA5e1
covers by Todd C. Hamilton

Offline RobMartin

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Robert Martin Writes
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 12:44:14 PM »
I'm in limbo - not yet ready to give up Sirens' Song (it's being laid out as I speak), and not yet ready to move on to the next project, which I have outlined, and ready to be worked on.
If it give you any incentive, my daughter was reading over my shoulder, saw your book covers in your sig and is now begging me to buy them for her.

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 01:36:59 PM »
If it give you any incentive, my daughter was reading over my shoulder, saw your book covers in your sig and is now begging me to buy them for her.

Cool! I hope you do, and I hope she enjoys them! How old is she?

Offline RobMartin

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Robert Martin Writes
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 01:40:54 PM »
Cool! I hope you do, and I hope she enjoys them! How old is she?
She's eight, going on sixteen, but still loves me reading to her every night.

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »
I recommend either Dragons and Dreams, or Fields, Forest and Fairies - that last one gives you the most bang for the buck, being a 3 book collection. She might also enjoy Heart of Rock - don't let the gargoyle on the cover scare you, he's the good guy.

Online LadyG

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • A Goode One
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »
I struggle with time. I'm a morning writer, but my work schedule recently changed and I have to go in much earlier now. The added hours and money are great, but I'm having a hard time getting myself to write in the evenings.

And at the risk of seeming whiny, I've got to say that this has been a terrible winter so far for me. Some of you know that I've had a long road back from the car accident that broke my neck a few years ago. Going full-time at work has really pushed me to my limits (and sometimes well past them) and I've been stubbornly refusing to accept that I am simply never going to be 100% again, which all means that I let myself get worn out and I got hit HARD by the nasty flu bug. Sick, exhausted, dealing with pain issues that are off the chart .... yeah, I just don't care about any of my characters right now. I don't feel like writing.

Then, of course, from the comfort of my blanket fort under the kitchen table, I just want to sulk and stress that I'm really a horrible writer and my books are never going to "take off" and this whole writing thing is nothing but a pipe dream.

So ..... any good tips on getting off the self-pity train and getting back on track?

Armed with nothing but coffee and a sense of humor.
A.J. Goode | A Goode One | Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter sign-up

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 02:36:05 PM »
I can't write when I'm sick or depressed either - and this flu bug is really bad.  I'm in my 4th week of recovery and am just now feeling closer to being myself.  give your self time to recover - pushing yourself will just make things worse.

Offline Gabriella West

• San Francisco, CA
  • LGBT fiction and memoir
    • View Profile
    • GabriellaWest.net
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 02:38:02 PM »
That sounds awful, Lady G. My sympathies.

I wish I had advice, but I have never had any luck working full time and writing. I mean, I had to do it in my twenties and I think only the fact that I had a monthly writing group kept me going. But I would spend many months on hiatus or dormant, or whatever.

So, go easy on yourself. You may find that your energy levels come back in the spring and you start wanting to write again!

My struggle at the moment is just with the whole freelance/living on a shoestring thing. I have time and energy to write, but I don't have money to live! I have never been able to do this balance well. But I have a preorder on right now, so I do have to finish a book this month, come what may.

I copyedit, too, at Edit for Indies: http://editforindies.com|Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gabriellawest|

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2018, 12:46:19 AM »
She's eight, going on sixteen, but still loves me reading to her every night.

My daughter, at age 8, insisted on 1-2 new stories every night, and she was a tough audience. Imagine making up 1-2 stories per day for five years, to order, with a demanding audience. She worked me. I didn't need no workshopping.

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2018, 04:41:40 AM »

My daughter, at age 8, insisted on 1-2 new stories every night, and she was a tough audience. Imagine making up 1-2 stories per day for five years, to order, with a demanding audience. She worked me. I didn't need no workshopping.

Where do you think a lot of my stories came from? :)

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »
I never fly at the end but I've had books that ended much more organically than others. A few of them were so difficult to end it felt like trying to shove a watermelon into a mailbox. You know, those tiny ones you get at the post office. ;)

Yes, that is exactly how writing this ending feels! Just. Go. Into. The. Dang. Box. Lol

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2018, 12:52:45 PM »
Becca and Lady G,

Sorry to hear you have been so sick. Don't beat yourselves up over it. Just get lots of self-care and give it time. <3

Hope that helps!

Offline TheLemontree

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »
Hi everyone. Found my crew!

We've just finished Summer vacation here, and this morning was my first morning without the kids home for two months. I actually did some writing!! A thousand unpaid words on a non-fic article for a low-distribution magazine that *might* lead to a handful of newsletter signups for me. I'm still small potatoes enough that this is a good deal :D

I'm looking ahead to the year, though, and am already disheartened at how little time I am able to set aside for my fiction and non-fiction projects. Last year I achieved half of what I set out to, and this year is looking comparable. Sigh. Still haven't even finished the first draft of the first novel due to focusing on the non-fic stuff.

Still. Better than not achieving anything, right?

Stacey Wilson | Kombucha Research

Offline TiffanyTurner

• Silicon Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany Turner's Crystal Keeper Chronicles
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2018, 02:47:20 PM »
I'm having trouble working on the novels I should finish up before working on new ones. I have a new supernatural romance brewing in my head, and I have a kpop romance that is 53K done, and I'm distracted with the supernatural romance. But then, add in the children's book that I'm almost ready to send to editor so I can get it finished by beginning of April, and my brain is in a writing tail spend.

***I think the only thing that can save me is to schedule it all out.

Don't even get me started about the time travel romance series I need to probably start working on again too.

Too many stories. Not enough brain space.
The Lost Secret of Fairies
The Lost Secret of the Green Man
$0.99-$2.99 on Kindle
New Kindle Release:
The Lost Secret of Dragonfire
$3.99
Children's Adventure/Fantasy series
www.tiffany-turner.com
Blog: http://crystalkeeper.wordpress.com

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 09:55:41 AM »
Rewrites. Mother pus bucket, I hate them.

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline James Dreyer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 10:05:50 AM »
I'm struggling to work on my first novel. I've been "working" on it for the past 3 years but it's mostly saying about working on it. Sometimes I just feel that I'll lose all hope of actually getting anything done.

Offline Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
  • Book designer & author
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2018, 09:47:54 PM »
Rewrites. Mother pus bucket, I hate them.

Amen.

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 03:02:39 AM »
LadyG and Becca, hope you recover from that flu quickly. I've heard it was a nasty one this year. Luckily, no one close has gotten it (knock on wood), even my mother who usually gets some horrible shortly after getting her flu shot.

I'm struggling to get the words out daily, heck, even weekly. Yesterday, I ended up with almost 7K. My hands are killing me, but gosh! I'd love to do that daily.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Online Boswser

• View Profile
    • Geneva West Romance
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 06:45:57 AM »
I struggle with writing on the weekend, for some reason. I work a typical 9-5 M-F and I do very well with writing on lunch/during downtime at work, but I'm so, so bad about doing it on "my own time", even though I write at home during the week just fine. That's a habit I truly need to break. I hit 1000 words/day consistently M-F, but that damned Saturday-Sunday tends to go to waste (writing-wise).

I also consistently bounce back and forth between the hopeful optimism of looking forward to being a full-time author, and the pragmatic realism that it won't happen for years and may not happen at all, in terms of leaving my day job behind and doing this full-time. Then I tell myself, maybe if I wrote on the weekends better, I'd actually be able to do it!

So, weekend writing struggles and, oh, bimonthly or so gloom-and-doom struggles when it comes to believing in writing as a future.

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2018, 07:36:05 AM »
I struggle with writing on the weekend, for some reason. I work a typical 9-5 M-F and I do very well with writing on lunch/during downtime at work, but I'm so, so bad about doing it on "my own time", even though I write at home during the week just fine. That's a habit I truly need to break. I hit 1000 words/day consistently M-F, but that damned Saturday-Sunday tends to go to waste (writing-wise).

I have the opposite problem. I get home from the day job and I do chores and relax. Most of my writing happens on the weekend which means I don't get a day off. Bummer. I wanna be like you, esp the hitting 1k a day. Your 'fault' is a talent.

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2018, 07:36:50 PM »
I work from home, but still struggle to get more than a couple hundred words a day written. And my weekends are complete write-offs. I'm lucky if I average 2500 words per week. 5000 words per week sounds pretty darned good to me! ;)

Offline skylarker1

• Minneapolis, MN, USA
    • View Profile
    • Dreamspell
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2018, 03:11:18 PM »
I work from home, but still struggle to get more than a couple hundred words a day written. And my weekends are complete write-offs. I'm lucky if I average 2500 words per week. 5000 words per week sounds pretty darned good to me! ;)

2500 words a week would be a good week for me!

Naomi Stone: Magic you can believe in
Naomi Stone | website

Online C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »

Second novel blues. Because the two in my sig are actually one book.  :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:24:10 PM by C. Rysalis »

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline Rosie A.

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »
I struggle with time. I'm a morning writer, but my work schedule recently changed and I have to go in much earlier now. The added hours and money are great, but I'm having a hard time getting myself to write in the evenings.

And at the risk of seeming whiny, I've got to say that this has been a terrible winter so far for me. Some of you know that I've had a long road back from the car accident that broke my neck a few years ago. Going full-time at work has really pushed me to my limits (and sometimes well past them) and I've been stubbornly refusing to accept that I am simply never going to be 100% again, which all means that I let myself get worn out and I got hit HARD by the nasty flu bug. Sick, exhausted, dealing with pain issues that are off the chart .... yeah, I just don't care about any of my characters right now. I don't feel like writing.

Then, of course, from the comfort of my blanket fort under the kitchen table, I just want to sulk and stress that I'm really a horrible writer and my books are never going to "take off" and this whole writing thing is nothing but a pipe dream.

So ..... any good tips on getting off the self-pity train and getting back on track?
Oh, no. I hope you're feeling better about it all soon. It's still winter too and sometimes it's hard to feel motivated when it's cold outside. I feel you on the books thing (being in the same boat). It might just be a pipe dream but at least it's a fun one...right? Actually, I've been feeling pretty down about my books lately as well and it's affecting my ability to write. Suppose it just doesn't matter what I write, is anyone going to read it? A total mood killer for sure.

I've been struggling since December to get back on track. I'm still sitting to write but I haven't gotten anything done in ages. Part of me thinks it's winter depression, some life issues, and just feeling like all of this is a waste of time. I know it's not but...sigh. Definitely feeling like none of this matter is blocking me. I used to really enjoy writing but now that I'm published it seems like I enjoy it a lot less.

*Thanks for letting me vent.*

20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest!

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »
2500 words a week would be a good week for me!

As long as you are writing some words you're doing good! :) 

I get distracted far too easily, so some weeks I average zero words. But I've got a deadline looming, so I really need to up my wordcount. Instead I seem to be writing fewer and fewer words. Even though I know what's supposed to happen next. Sigh. :/

Offline azebra

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • You Say Which Way
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2018, 12:23:50 AM »
Preach it! This thread is me. I have procrastinated all summer.

Offline P.A. Woodburn

• washington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2018, 01:17:17 AM »
This is a good thread for me. I thought my second novel was near ready, and I am now getting a lot of ideas for changes. I am reading "Story Trumps Structure" by Steven James and when I do this more and more changes come into my head. I think it's good. I'm certainly not one of those book a month people. Published my first novel in 2010 and this is my second but I'm now thinking that is okay if that is my pace. I'm 75 next month so I'm not expecting a wildly interesting career, but my grandmother lived to be 100 so you never know.

There is nothing in my home environment that prods me along. No writers' groups or anything like that. I don't even know one person in the flesh who writes. I have been extremly healthy all winter no colds, 'flu nothing to present me with an excuse.
I've started riding 20 miles per day on my stationary bicycle an effort to keep mobile. I'm losing weight very, very slowly, but I am looking more firm. Often I'm awake all night or half the night and then nap during the day.
 I read about one book a day. Either stuff about writing, exercising or fiction relating to the kind I'm aspiring to write.

I seem to have to relearn Scrivener every time I open it up. I'm not very techie. Just got two grammar programs - Grammarly and WordPro. Not sure what I think of them yet. It's odd that they find totally different things wrong. 

I bought our little local newspaper tonight on a whim. Haven't bought it for a year or two or three and would you believe there was a photo of me with a bunch of others taken outside the jail when I did the Police Academy Course. That was kind of weird. I'd love to repeat that course. It was a lot of fun.

I feel very lucky to be healthy so many my age are not. I spend too much time on Facebook chatting to writers I met here eight years ago. Most of them are quite successful. I spend way too much time lamenting about the political goings on. I try to keep thinking young because I want to keep writing for the young or middle aged. Spend hours reading about animal issues since that is my area of interest. Don't think you'll have more time when you retire. You'll  find numerous ways to whittle it away.

I'm enjoying myself and I guess that's what matters so I'll continue the struggle.

Offline EllieDee

• Drifting around Europe
  • Dreaming about the future...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2018, 03:19:15 AM »
I feel very lucky to be healthy so many my age are not.

Health and fitness are a really undervalued part of the creative process.  I find it so hard to be creative when my physical or mental health isn't doing so well.  Oh, and I get some of my best character ideas and plot twists while taking long walks. 

Online C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2018, 05:46:57 AM »
I get distracted far too easily, so some weeks I average zero words. But I've got a deadline looming, so I really need to up my wordcount. Instead I seem to be writing fewer and fewer words. Even though I know what's supposed to happen next. Sigh. :/

I feel you, I'm in the same place right now. The words just won't come and when they do, they're of terrible quality and I end up deleting them.

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
Did I mention I hate rewrites?  >:( Just when I think "BY GEORGE, I'VE FINALLY GOT IT!" along comes a beta reader who points out my story needs, oh, just a tweak here and a tweak there and could I expand on this and whittle this character down and etc...etc...

My worst fault as a writer is leaping ahead without thinking things through. I liked to make notes of my plots but I never outlined. Now that I've converted to outlining everything and its dog I feel a little more hopeful of getting stories right the first time. You live and you learn. Especially from this comm.

Online Lyle 007

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2018, 08:57:11 AM »
This is a good thread for me ... I have a couple small things out now. It's all less than a month old.

I just need to chill and continue to write.  Spend a little time navigating how to make these works visible within Amazon.  That is the real frustration for me. 

Best of luck to everyone here.

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »
I feel you, I'm in the same place right now. The words just won't come and when they do, they're of terrible quality and I end up deleting them.

I had a good day yesterday. I wrote 500 words and only deleted 200 of them. Lol

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2018, 12:38:49 PM »
Once you get rolling, it's not so hard. Over the last year, I've written about 250k words in about 270 days, and that's with few rounds of polishing. There's no secret to it, you just have to make it a priority, like doing the dishes.

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2018, 03:00:40 PM »
There's no secret to it, you just have to make it a priority, like doing the dishes.

People prioritize doing the dishes? Well, there's my problem. Lol

Offline rebeccaroyce

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2018, 03:11:36 PM »
So I find that I am struggling pretty consistently with the second to last book in a series. Not the last book, but the second to last, every time it happens. And I have really lost my focus this time.  I paid bills to not have to write today and that is really, really awful.  Anyone have some great find your focus techniques?

Online dunkleosteus

• Denver, Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »

Boy, do I ever hear you on this one. Even if the writing does go well, the loss of sleep still enervates me until I can catch up on it. My schedule is a bit different in that I get up at 5:00 AM and write until 6:45, then head off to work. What I've found is that even if the writing went well the day before, I sometimes arrive at my keyboard the next morning feeling like I don't have any arrows in the quiver. And that is a bleak feeling, because it's either go back to bed and admit failure (which I don't permit myself to do), or sit there and try to MAKE something happen with the writing (which it isn't always possible to do).

What has been working for me is to do the 5AM thing four days a week, sleep in the other days, and write on those nights. Using that schedule has, so far, knock on wood, not run me into a wall.

The only thing I can say to you about the doubt is that actually showing up to do the work is itself a victory. So maybe when you hear that voice of doubt on day 20, redirect your attention to the fact that you frigging showed up for those 20 days and give yourself credit for that. Throw the gold of your attention at the feet of the victories, not into the palm of that other nimrod...

Hang in there, pal. Keep after it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:55:14 PM by dunkleosteus »

Online Tara KH

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2018, 04:08:42 PM »
My chronic back pain is really starting to interfere with my productivity. It's hard to concentrate when I feel like someone has taken a sledgehammer to my spine every hour of the day. I have noticed that it makes me do things like try to distract myself from the pain by playing little games on my phone and stuff, when I really need to write to meet my deadlines.

Offline Norman Steele Taylor

• Kindle Publishers' Best Friend
    • View Profile
    • Get targeted promotions for your kindle book - starts at only $75
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2018, 12:27:50 AM »
I'm currently struggling with coming up with an overarching theme for my next HARD SCI FI title.

Action-packed scenes can only go so far.

Also, I have to come up with a plot twist

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2018, 07:08:56 AM »
Plots twists usually have to feel right and yet feel surprising. They usually do not come out of left field because I want my reader to say, "I should have seen that coming." That's when I look at what's on the table. [This technique is more useful when you're pantsings and you have lots of extraneous detail to mine, but it can work with outlining, too.]
  • What characters have I lost track of?
  • What items have I lost track of?
  • What situations have I lost track of?
  • What unpredictable things could exist in the environment?
  • What B-Plot could stroll in to derail the scene?
  • Who makes a mistake?
  • Who changed their mind?
  • What information gets contradicted?
Somewhere in those questions is a plot twist that works without having to invent anything new, is already set up in the narrative, and acts as a payoff. Twofer! Score!

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2018, 07:19:49 AM »
I've got Book 3 in my superhero urban fantasy at the betas and am trying to outline Book 4. I'm stuck on the outline.

Book 4 focuses on a murder mystery as the primary plot, that needs to be appropriately twisty (and action-packed because superhero), plus I also need to insert a kaiju and a pyromaniacfor thematic reasons. It's not tidy yet. I've got the who done it and part of the mystery plot written, but I want it tidy. Grr. I'll get it, but...

It's especially frustrating because my usual process demands I write out a detailed outline, which I then proceed to ignore whenever the plot takes me another direction, but I can't write without it.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Online RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2018, 07:30:04 AM »
Oh boy, can I join in? Because I am super struggling right now with my edits for my first novel and getting this thing actually polished up. I'm currently in my second round of edits (the line edits) and I just barely reached halfway through my manuscript yesterday. It's been weeks! And after this, I STILL have a third round for grammar, and then the long hunt to find beta readers, and only then can I finally send it out to a real editor. Omgosh. To think I was hoping to release this into the wild by fall. Not at this pace.

Most disappointing, I had a bunch of other writing goals I wanted to accomplish as well, and right now all my time and energy is being poured into edits. I had no idea it would take me this long.
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2018, 07:30:46 AM »
Sinus infection. I'm all fuzzy headed and tired. Makes the writing very hard.

Offline SaraConklin

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2018, 07:37:15 AM »
Thank you for posting this thread! Im a long time lurker here on kboards so I thought this would be the perfect place to make my first post.
Im currently struggling with finding the time to write. Im a full time pre med college student going after two undergraduate degrees, I work full time, and my husband and I are trying to have our first child. It just seems like if its not one thing its another these days. My goal before I hit publish was to have several books completed, ideally they would be a series, but that just hasnt happened yet.
Writing is something that Ive always loved doing, and one day I would like it to be all that I do. I just feel so discouraged by my crazy schedule. I feel like I never have time to write, and when I do manage to carve out the time something comes up.

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2018, 08:00:58 AM »
I paid bills to not have to write today and that is really, really awful.  Anyone have some great find your focus techniques?

AIIIGH! Bills. Don't get me started. But I find I focus best when I turn off the TV, phone, and internet (anything that wants my attention) and turn on classical music. A public station lacks commercials so it's non-intrusive. I just drift away and type my story while I lose track of time and pressure.

And my heart goes out to the sick and pained writers out there. It's hard to get going when you're aggravated by your health but once you get into your writing groove your pains will recede. (Mine did, anyway.) Just think of word counts as medicine that does you good.

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2018, 08:14:51 AM »
Im currently struggling with finding the time to write. Im a full time pre med college student going after two undergraduate degrees, I work full time, and my husband and I are trying to have our first child.

God bless you from the bottom of my soul. That's absolutely insane. Any two of them is a big commitment. All of them? Wow. Just wow.

Offline RobMartin

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Robert Martin Writes
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »
Sinus infection. I'm all fuzzy headed and tired. Makes the writing very hard.

I'm just getting over 3 days of the flu. On the bright side, I managed 2500 words. I also managed 400 pages of jkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkl, so there was that.

Offline SaraConklin

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »

God bless you from the bottom of my soul. That's absolutely insane. Any two of them is a big commitment. All of them? Wow. Just wow.

Thank you. Yeah it is definitely quite the challenge, but Im lucky to have a very good support system.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »
I'm just getting over 3 days of the flu. On the bright side, I managed 2500 words. I also managed 400 pages of jkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkljkl, so there was that.

LOL  We've been working on the same story! :)

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2018, 02:38:28 PM »
I can relate to so many of you!

Someone asked about getting past the confidence issues. For me, I don't. I just accept that most of what I write sucks. It makes me happy when I can get myself to do it, so I do it anyway.

I do think if I could get myself to "just do it" I would have already done it. I mean, it's really not that hard... right?

Anyone else laughing at that one? ;)

Online A.D. Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2018, 06:28:34 PM »
Because I take care of my mother who is constantly ill, I struggle with finding the time to write.  Lately, I have been having some back problems, but I did manage to write out two chapters today that's something I haven't done in a long time.

Offline Christa_Tomlinson

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Yesterday at 07:06:47 AM »
Thank you for posting this thread! So many things shared here that I've dealt with myself. Especially the one on procrastinating writing all day, then staying up all night to get words in. It took a lot of work, but I finally managed to kick that habit. Well, half of it. I still procrastinate too much, but I don't stay up all night anymore.

I have two current struggles. The first is getting organized with the business side of things. I know what I need to do, but I get so overwhelmed at everything that I end up finding a hundred ways to avoid doing any of it. I know that I need to break the tasks down into manageable chunks, but I can't seem to stay focused enough to do it and that's when I get overwhelmed. Going to try yet again to get organized this week.

The other struggle is deciding what to write next. I had a plan. Finish my current series. Then write series #4. Once that was done, I'd start series #5. The problem is, my brain is really into series #5. I feel like I should take advantage of all that excitement and skip series #4 to write series #5. But how do I know this isn't just another case of getting distracted by the shiny new plot bunny? I've had that happen before and I know tons of other writers have been in that same boat.

Christa Tomlinson | Website | Facebook | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline Fleurina

• West Coast of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Yesterday at 09:01:03 AM »
I struggle constantly with marketing. I loathe it, whilst recognising how vital it is. I thought the e-book market was saturated when I first dipped my toes in around 4 years ago, but it was a ghost town compared to how it feels now.

This one, every time for me, whatever the business, writing or whatever. Eek!  Some people are natural marketers and enjoy it:
I am not one of them.
Zap Anxiety & Live in the Now: 60%

Second Chances - Izzie Firecracker 2: 50%
Janet Butler Male | website | facebook | twitter

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Yesterday at 09:24:55 AM »
This one, every time for me, whatever the business, writing or whatever. Eek!  Some people are natural marketers and enjoy it:
I am not one of them.

I don't do it. If I had to, I swear I'd just quit. That's how much I hate it.

What I do do is have a website, with a blog that I update every time I have a new release (in whatever format) and very very occasionally with the status of some project. I keep that website updated. I don't let that slip. But that's because I like having that up to date list of books and links. And a newsletter that I only ever email when I have a brand new release. I email once. No follow ups, no teasers, blah blah. I just do not want to do it. So I don't. It's my life, you know? :)