Author Topic: Strugglers' support thread  (Read 3558 times)  

Offline RobMartin

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Robert Martin Writes
Re: Strugglers' support thread
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 12:44:14 PM »
I'm in limbo - not yet ready to give up Sirens' Song (it's being laid out as I speak), and not yet ready to move on to the next project, which I have outlined, and ready to be worked on.
If it give you any incentive, my daughter was reading over my shoulder, saw your book covers in your sig and is now begging me to buy them for her.

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 01:36:59 PM »
If it give you any incentive, my daughter was reading over my shoulder, saw your book covers in your sig and is now begging me to buy them for her.

Cool! I hope you do, and I hope she enjoys them! How old is she?

www.wyrmtalespress.com  wyrmtalespress@gmail.com
Join my mailing list at at http://eepurl.com/JA5e1
covers by Todd C. Hamilton

Offline RobMartin

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Robert Martin Writes
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 01:40:54 PM »
Cool! I hope you do, and I hope she enjoys them! How old is she?
She's eight, going on sixteen, but still loves me reading to her every night.

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »
I recommend either Dragons and Dreams, or Fields, Forest and Fairies - that last one gives you the most bang for the buck, being a 3 book collection. She might also enjoy Heart of Rock - don't let the gargoyle on the cover scare you, he's the good guy.

Offline LadyG

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • A Goode One
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »
I struggle with time. I'm a morning writer, but my work schedule recently changed and I have to go in much earlier now. The added hours and money are great, but I'm having a hard time getting myself to write in the evenings.

And at the risk of seeming whiny, I've got to say that this has been a terrible winter so far for me. Some of you know that I've had a long road back from the car accident that broke my neck a few years ago. Going full-time at work has really pushed me to my limits (and sometimes well past them) and I've been stubbornly refusing to accept that I am simply never going to be 100% again, which all means that I let myself get worn out and I got hit HARD by the nasty flu bug. Sick, exhausted, dealing with pain issues that are off the chart .... yeah, I just don't care about any of my characters right now. I don't feel like writing.

Then, of course, from the comfort of my blanket fort under the kitchen table, I just want to sulk and stress that I'm really a horrible writer and my books are never going to "take off" and this whole writing thing is nothing but a pipe dream.

So ..... any good tips on getting off the self-pity train and getting back on track?

Armed with nothing but coffee and a sense of humor.
A.J. Goode | A Goode One | Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter sign-up

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 02:36:05 PM »
I can't write when I'm sick or depressed either - and this flu bug is really bad.  I'm in my 4th week of recovery and am just now feeling closer to being myself.  give your self time to recover - pushing yourself will just make things worse.

Offline Gabriella West

• San Francisco, CA
  • LGBT fiction and memoir
    • View Profile
    • GabriellaWest.net
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 02:38:02 PM »
That sounds awful, Lady G. My sympathies.

I wish I had advice, but I have never had any luck working full time and writing. I mean, I had to do it in my twenties and I think only the fact that I had a monthly writing group kept me going. But I would spend many months on hiatus or dormant, or whatever.

So, go easy on yourself. You may find that your energy levels come back in the spring and you start wanting to write again!

My struggle at the moment is just with the whole freelance/living on a shoestring thing. I have time and energy to write, but I don't have money to live! I have never been able to do this balance well. But I have a preorder on right now, so I do have to finish a book this month, come what may.

I copyedit, too, at Edit for Indies: http://editforindies.com|Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gabriellawest|

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2018, 12:46:19 AM »
She's eight, going on sixteen, but still loves me reading to her every night.

My daughter, at age 8, insisted on 1-2 new stories every night, and she was a tough audience. Imagine making up 1-2 stories per day for five years, to order, with a demanding audience. She worked me. I didn't need no workshopping.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2018, 04:41:40 AM »

My daughter, at age 8, insisted on 1-2 new stories every night, and she was a tough audience. Imagine making up 1-2 stories per day for five years, to order, with a demanding audience. She worked me. I didn't need no workshopping.

Where do you think a lot of my stories came from? :)

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »
I never fly at the end but I've had books that ended much more organically than others. A few of them were so difficult to end it felt like trying to shove a watermelon into a mailbox. You know, those tiny ones you get at the post office. ;)

Yes, that is exactly how writing this ending feels! Just. Go. Into. The. Dang. Box. Lol

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2018, 12:52:45 PM »
Becca and Lady G,

Sorry to hear you have been so sick. Don't beat yourselves up over it. Just get lots of self-care and give it time. <3

Hope that helps!

Offline TheLemontree

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »
Hi everyone. Found my crew!

We've just finished Summer vacation here, and this morning was my first morning without the kids home for two months. I actually did some writing!! A thousand unpaid words on a non-fic article for a low-distribution magazine that *might* lead to a handful of newsletter signups for me. I'm still small potatoes enough that this is a good deal :D

I'm looking ahead to the year, though, and am already disheartened at how little time I am able to set aside for my fiction and non-fiction projects. Last year I achieved half of what I set out to, and this year is looking comparable. Sigh. Still haven't even finished the first draft of the first novel due to focusing on the non-fic stuff.

Still. Better than not achieving anything, right?

Stacey Wilson | Kombucha Research

Offline TiffanyTurner

• Silicon Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany Turner's Crystal Keeper Chronicles
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2018, 02:47:20 PM »
I'm having trouble working on the novels I should finish up before working on new ones. I have a new supernatural romance brewing in my head, and I have a kpop romance that is 53K done, and I'm distracted with the supernatural romance. But then, add in the children's book that I'm almost ready to send to editor so I can get it finished by beginning of April, and my brain is in a writing tail spend.

***I think the only thing that can save me is to schedule it all out.

Don't even get me started about the time travel romance series I need to probably start working on again too.

Too many stories. Not enough brain space.
The Lost Secret of Fairies
The Lost Secret of the Green Man
$0.99-$2.99 on Kindle
New Kindle Release:
The Lost Secret of Dragonfire
$3.99
Children's Adventure/Fantasy series
www.tiffany-turner.com
Blog: http://crystalkeeper.wordpress.com

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 09:55:41 AM »
Rewrites. Mother pus bucket, I hate them.

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline James Dreyer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 10:05:50 AM »
I'm struggling to work on my first novel. I've been "working" on it for the past 3 years but it's mostly saying about working on it. Sometimes I just feel that I'll lose all hope of actually getting anything done.

Offline Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
  • Book designer & author
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2018, 09:47:54 PM »
Rewrites. Mother pus bucket, I hate them.

Amen.

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 03:02:39 AM »
LadyG and Becca, hope you recover from that flu quickly. I've heard it was a nasty one this year. Luckily, no one close has gotten it (knock on wood), even my mother who usually gets some horrible shortly after getting her flu shot.

I'm struggling to get the words out daily, heck, even weekly. Yesterday, I ended up with almost 7K. My hands are killing me, but gosh! I'd love to do that daily.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Boswser

• View Profile
    • Geneva West Romance
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 06:45:57 AM »
I struggle with writing on the weekend, for some reason. I work a typical 9-5 M-F and I do very well with writing on lunch/during downtime at work, but I'm so, so bad about doing it on "my own time", even though I write at home during the week just fine. That's a habit I truly need to break. I hit 1000 words/day consistently M-F, but that damned Saturday-Sunday tends to go to waste (writing-wise).

I also consistently bounce back and forth between the hopeful optimism of looking forward to being a full-time author, and the pragmatic realism that it won't happen for years and may not happen at all, in terms of leaving my day job behind and doing this full-time. Then I tell myself, maybe if I wrote on the weekends better, I'd actually be able to do it!

So, weekend writing struggles and, oh, bimonthly or so gloom-and-doom struggles when it comes to believing in writing as a future.

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2018, 07:36:05 AM »
I struggle with writing on the weekend, for some reason. I work a typical 9-5 M-F and I do very well with writing on lunch/during downtime at work, but I'm so, so bad about doing it on "my own time", even though I write at home during the week just fine. That's a habit I truly need to break. I hit 1000 words/day consistently M-F, but that damned Saturday-Sunday tends to go to waste (writing-wise).

I have the opposite problem. I get home from the day job and I do chores and relax. Most of my writing happens on the weekend which means I don't get a day off. Bummer. I wanna be like you, esp the hitting 1k a day. Your 'fault' is a talent.

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2018, 07:36:50 PM »
I work from home, but still struggle to get more than a couple hundred words a day written. And my weekends are complete write-offs. I'm lucky if I average 2500 words per week. 5000 words per week sounds pretty darned good to me! ;)

Offline skylarker1

• Minneapolis, MN, USA
    • View Profile
    • Dreamspell
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2018, 03:11:18 PM »
I work from home, but still struggle to get more than a couple hundred words a day written. And my weekends are complete write-offs. I'm lucky if I average 2500 words per week. 5000 words per week sounds pretty darned good to me! ;)

2500 words a week would be a good week for me!

Naomi Stone: Magic you can believe in
Naomi Stone | website

Offline C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »

Second novel blues. Because the two in my sig are actually one book.  :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:24:10 PM by C. Rysalis »

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline Rosie A.

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »
I struggle with time. I'm a morning writer, but my work schedule recently changed and I have to go in much earlier now. The added hours and money are great, but I'm having a hard time getting myself to write in the evenings.

And at the risk of seeming whiny, I've got to say that this has been a terrible winter so far for me. Some of you know that I've had a long road back from the car accident that broke my neck a few years ago. Going full-time at work has really pushed me to my limits (and sometimes well past them) and I've been stubbornly refusing to accept that I am simply never going to be 100% again, which all means that I let myself get worn out and I got hit HARD by the nasty flu bug. Sick, exhausted, dealing with pain issues that are off the chart .... yeah, I just don't care about any of my characters right now. I don't feel like writing.

Then, of course, from the comfort of my blanket fort under the kitchen table, I just want to sulk and stress that I'm really a horrible writer and my books are never going to "take off" and this whole writing thing is nothing but a pipe dream.

So ..... any good tips on getting off the self-pity train and getting back on track?
Oh, no. I hope you're feeling better about it all soon. It's still winter too and sometimes it's hard to feel motivated when it's cold outside. I feel you on the books thing (being in the same boat). It might just be a pipe dream but at least it's a fun one...right? Actually, I've been feeling pretty down about my books lately as well and it's affecting my ability to write. Suppose it just doesn't matter what I write, is anyone going to read it? A total mood killer for sure.

I've been struggling since December to get back on track. I'm still sitting to write but I haven't gotten anything done in ages. Part of me thinks it's winter depression, some life issues, and just feeling like all of this is a waste of time. I know it's not but...sigh. Definitely feeling like none of this matter is blocking me. I used to really enjoy writing but now that I'm published it seems like I enjoy it a lot less.

*Thanks for letting me vent.*

20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest!

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »
2500 words a week would be a good week for me!

As long as you are writing some words you're doing good! :) 

I get distracted far too easily, so some weeks I average zero words. But I've got a deadline looming, so I really need to up my wordcount. Instead I seem to be writing fewer and fewer words. Even though I know what's supposed to happen next. Sigh. :/

Offline azebra

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • You Say Which Way
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2018, 12:23:50 AM »
Preach it! This thread is me. I have procrastinated all summer.