Author Topic: Oasis 2 battery life  (Read 1520 times)  

Offline mlm525

• View Profile
Oasis 2 battery life
« on: February 04, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
Hello!
I purchased a new Oasis about 3 weeks ago and generally am very pleased with it but have noticed that it needs charging much more frequently than my first generation Voyage.  I only needed to charge the Voyage about every 3 weeks and I have already had to charge the Oasis 3 times.  I am not reading any more frequently than before.  It may be that I have the brightness up a little too much, and I have adjusted that today, but other than that I am not aware of any other factors that I can change.  Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Offline Brettles1980

• View Profile
Re: Oasis 2 battery life
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 12:26:01 AM »
Do you have bluetooth or wifi on? I have these off and in airplane mode and i get ok battery life.

You can always do a reset to see if this makes a difference perhaps.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 05:38:31 AM »
You can try a restart before resorting to a reset.  Just hold the power button down until it restarts.  You can also search for nonsense strings of letters to determine if the device is still indexing.  I know that I tend to overload my new Kindles when I get them because I have to transfer everything that I haven't read off my old one.
Having said that, I do notice that my Oasis2 seems to run down faster than the original one, but it also seems to charge back up much quicker.

Offline jobo132435

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:02:42 AM »
I'm not sure a reset, will help with battery life! It's a,simple product of the the mw/ hours of the battery minus the mw/ hours your use extracts from the battery. As above blue tooth and WiFi will run a battery down very quickly, indexing a lit of matterial will have an effect, as will lamp brightness. Actually turning off between use will extend it quite a lot. That said once a week for charge doesn't seem unreasonable and batteries tend to get better after a few charges, so it might buck up in a week or so

Offline mlm525

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 04:19:51 PM »
Thanks for your replies and suggestions.  I do have wifi on, I have always kept it on with my Paperwhite as well and this is what I am comparing the battery life to, and finding it lacking.....I will turn the wifi off as this is likely what is causing the poor performance (at least in my eyes).

I really do not like to complain, as a whole I am very happy with the Oasis!  This is just a minor issue in the scheme of things and something I just need to keep in mind and remember to do.

Offline HLS

• MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:23:00 PM »
The new oasis has a lot of battery complaints so you are not the only one. I hate myself for selling my first generation now.  I have the New 7 inch Oasis. I keep light between 9 and 12 depending on the lighting around me  and I keep wifi and Bluetooth off unless I need to sync  then I turn it immediately off and  my battery goes down by 50% within 3-4 days and  I am not a big reader. I read maybe 30 minutes to 60 minutes a day.  I charged it Wednesday now its Friday and the battery is at 74%  already. 26% drop in 2 days. To me light level is too dark and it annoys me.  I can do 9 in low light but daytime I find at least 12  and even still based on amazons  limits of 30 minutes a day at level 10 lighting to get 5-6 weeks I would think that my level of reading will get at least 2 - 3 weeks.

On the plus side  at least we do not have to charge it daily like a tablet or cell phone. If amazon had a way to incorporate a charging cover  to this I will be tickled. I am so annoyed that I became obsessive at watching the battery status bar LOL
I own a 7" Oasis, Nook  Plus and a Nook Glowlight 3, iPad, Fire Tablets, 8 inch AZUS

Offline clawdia

• VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 03:50:00 PM »
I've been wanting to order one of the new Oasis models, but the talk of battery life is making me hesitate.  I have a Voyage - my second one (the first one just went wonky after a couple of years or more) - and since I read a lot - hours a day - I'm having to charge it up every other day and sometimes every day.  I do use a fairly large font, bolded, and light setting of 16.  I only turn wifi on when I need to download a book.  This Voyage is about a year old, and the frequent need to re-charge it is my only real complaint with it.  I would like the extra inch of screen space on the Oasis.  My vision isn't great, which is why the large font, the bolding, and I think my light setting might be higher than most would use.  But I'm thinking if the Voyage seems not to hold a charge long enough, and the Oasis has an even worse battery life . . . hmmm - I'm wondering when the next new Kindle will be out, and wondering if I should wait.

Irazoo referral link
http://www.irazoo.com/ReferedNewUser.aspx?Refby=clawdia

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 06:11:12 PM »
My Oasis 2 battery life is awful ! My Oasis 1 was much better !

Offline HLS

• MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 08:18:06 PM »
I found part of the issue  is I was playing with it a lot. Opening and closing.  I added a password  since passwords are annoying on devices so I tinker with it less thus better battery life. Not much better but better
I own a 7" Oasis, Nook  Plus and a Nook Glowlight 3, iPad, Fire Tablets, 8 inch AZUS

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
  • Reading Amanda Ashley, and Christine Feehan Books.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 07:18:55 AM »
I'm with Clawdia on this. I have to charge my Voyage every two days or so because I read a lot. And I been reading several reviews for the Oasis 2. A lot of negative reviews. It's either about the screen being defective or the battery is awful. So I don't know if I should get it now. I also been reading that Amazon was sending out refurbished units as re placements for people when they should be sending out new units

(Make your own reading bar)A Kindle 1, 3 (Keyboard), and Paperwhite owner. I just love reading romance novels :P

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »
I'm with Clawdia on this. I have to charge my Voyage every two days or so because I read a lot. And I been reading several reviews for the Oasis 2. A lot of negative reviews. It's either about the screen being defective or the battery is awful. So I don't know if I should get it now. I also been reading that Amazon was sending out refurbished units as re placements for people when they should be sending out new units

Maybe they "should" be sending out new units, but they haven't been at least since the Voyage. When the modem stopped working in my Voyage and I got a replacement, it was a refurbished unit - which worked fine until I traded it in to get the Oasis 2, and I got the full trade in allowance.

If you read so much you have to recharge the Voyage every day or two, you'll have to do the same with any other Kindle. Trust me, I also read a lot and have had to do it with every Kindle from the original to the Oasis 2. IMO the O1 was the biggest pain over it because it used the cover battery first then whined about no power when there was still a full charge in the device itself, which meant either plug it in or take it out of the case and read that way, and I don't like reading without a case.

The whole screen debate goes right past me except for scaring me before I get any given new Kindle since the PW. Counting several replacements, one for the Voyage and two for the KK, I have had 9 Kindles, 5 since Amazon introduced the lighted ones, and never could see anything wrong with any of the screens. (My KK was replaced twice for spontaneous rebooting, which is sad because I now believe there was nothing wrong with the devices. That model's Amazon cover had prongs that went into the device to hold the cover. Amazon never admitted it caused the problem, but enough users experienced what I did to be sure.) I also see many photos of supposedly terrible screens posted where I can't see the problem. I've come to the conclusion the world divides into 2 kinds of users, those who can see these variations in lighting and those who can't. I'm in the lucky half.

Plug an O2 in every time you leave it for a while and you'll be fine. Or be like me and have a charging cord run right to where you read and plug it in while reading when needed. :)

Offline HLS

• MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 06:30:20 PM »
I have owned every kindle model  at one point or  another  and they all had a better battery life. I really feel they should have made  a charging cover option  for the 7" oasis.  I regret selling my 6" oasis for with the charging cover I got 3x better battery life. BUT  at least its not a daily charge lik you will do on a phone or tablet

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
I guess I am a reader like Ellen. I always had to charge all my kindles every 2 days or so. Maybe 3-4 days when I can't read as much. So its not as unusual for me. I never got weeks out of any of them.  :P

My phone actually lasts way longer than any of my kindles.  ;D. The last phone I bought goes an average of 5-6 days. It has a huge battery though, but still cheap. Moto E plus for those that wonder. I don't have to really think about charging that thing. But then I don't read on my phone, or tablets. But I do love that phone. Its not fancy, but its almost like having a flip phone again with not having to worry about battery.

I am still waiting for a kindle with built in solar charger in its frame. I don't think they are strong enough yet, but that would be something. You'd never have to plug it in ever again. Just imagine.  8)

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline GirlFriday

• Love One Another
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 11:35:59 PM »
I don't see the big deal or why people are bashing the Oasis. We all should have access to an outlet or computer to charge it so why is it a big deal if you need to charge it every couple of days?
Proud owner of a Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, and Phone X

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 04:49:13 AM »
Given the better processor, better lighting, and overall better quality of each newer model of kindle, I can forgive them if the battery life is not actually 2 months. That was always an estimate anyway based on a specific size of font, lighting level, and assuming the wireless is basically always off. It also assumes reading only about a half hour a day which is kind of laughable for most of us here. :)

As it is, my kindles get charged when they need to get charged and don't seem to run down particularly fast . . I do have several, of course:

My Oasis 2 lives on my night stand and that's where I read -- usually for a half hour to an hour each night before bed. I have a charger cord there as well and if I get the 'low battery' warning I plug it in when I'm finished for the night.

My Voyage lives in my purse and I read on it when I'm out and about, so it's use is intermittent and may sometimes not be used for several days. In an emergency I have a battery I can re-charge it from but try to remember to plug it in if I notice it is getting low.

My main reader is the original Oasis that lives next to 'my spot' in the family room. I read on it daily generally for anywhere from 1 to 3 hours per depending on what's on TV and what else I'm doing that day. There's a charger cord right there so if it needs to be charged I just plug it in and keep reading.

All of them generally have wifi on all the time, my light level is around 10-12 depending, and I use the 4th smallest print size. I don't actually know how often I charge them, because I don't really pay attention, but it doesn't feel too often for me. I mean: I put my phone on the charger every night and sometimes I need to charge it again during the day -- but it gets much heavier use and is overall more energy intensive even if it's just living in my purse all day.

Now: if we're talking things that would be nice to have on a future kindle: I'd love a battery that could charge on my wireless charger so I don't have to actually plug it in. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline clawdia

• VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 08:12:40 PM »
One concern I have about battery life - it's not just that it's a pain to have to charge it everyday - but batteries tend to have a certain number of life-cycles (as in, the number of times it's charged).  I don't want to spend so much on an Oasis just to have the battery completely die from over-use just a month or two past the warranty period.  This is what really worries me about having to re-charge the device so often.  I had my first Voyage develop multiple problems when it was about 18 months old, and I'll never know if frequent battery re-charges had anything to do with it.  The Voyage I'm using now was new last July. 

Irazoo referral link
http://www.irazoo.com/ReferedNewUser.aspx?Refby=clawdia