Author Topic: Interesting detailed article about using Prime Now  (Read 325 times)  

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
Interesting detailed article about using Prime Now
« on: February 11, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-use-amazon-prime-now-2018-2

We dont have this service where I live, but I still thought this article was informative.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting detailed article about using Prime Now
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 07:54:48 AM »
I've only used the service once and that was here in the UK.

It's touted as being a 2 hour service to get things you suddenly realise you forgot or ran out of, but he's right that if you only buy a few things there's a delivery fee and a tip added on that can almost double the cost of your order.

I ordered things I didn't desperately need in order to meet the minimum requirements and avoid the delivery fee. But when the order arrived half the things weren't there and as (bad) luck would have it the missing things were the ones I was actually wanted and what arrived was just the the things I ordered as fillers. I also received at least two things I didn't order - and was charged for them.

He's also right that although it's a 2 hour service, the timer doesn't start when you order, you have to pick a slot and the next available one may not start for a couple of hours or so.

It would be cheaper and quicker for me to go to the nearest 24 hour supermarket.

Good idea, but needs some further thought and development I think.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:35 AM »
I have used PrimeNow quite a few times, although not in recent weeks/couple month. Where I live, large Texas city, we don't have any other store options. I didn't know using primenow others get other store options. For me its just primenow. I also never paid a fee,  it was $25 minimum until just recently and now its $35. I just never needed something under those amounts, defeats the whole point. The tip is always optional. And you can change it to whatever you want if you do want to give some. I always do, but I don't base it on cost of order, but more on how heavy something is to lug up the stairs. The drivers by the way do not know who tips them or doesn't, they get the day's or shifts amount at the end or their day.

I have used it in the past to get cold medicine, when I wasn't presentable to go to the store. Some grocery items, which will at times be a tad more than driving of course. I have gotten some amazon devices this way when I wanted them right then, or needed some other item now and not 2 days later. I have  never had a delivery be later than the 2 hours promised, in most cases it came just over 1 hour. I always use the 2 hour free option.

I think with anything else, it all depends on your location. I haven't ordered anything lately as they either didn't have what I needed this way, or I just didn't need anything.

It is really handy though if you either can't or don't want to leave the house and are in need of something. When both my husband and I got sick, it was super handy. We were packed in on a weekend, neither of us in condition to drive.
Lots of cough syrup and niquills.  ;D

I have only ever set foot once in a Whole Foods, but they do carry a lot of their in  house brand pantry items now.

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline mikeschr

• Portland, OR
  • DX, K4, KTouch, PW, Oasis
    • View Profile
    • OTR Comedy
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 01:39:01 PM »
Here in Portland the free deliveries come in 3-5 hours; the windows are 2 hours long.  The fee for faster delivery is $7.99 for 1-hour delivery and $4.99 for delivery within 2 hours.