Author Topic: At least a hundred books published?  (Read 2225 times)  

Online Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
At least a hundred books published?
« on: February 06, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
There are prolific writers so there are probably many writers that have published more than one hundred books. I am talking about all kinds of books non-fiction, novels, novelette, and short stores. I have been over a hundred books for a year or two.

Do you have at least a hundred books published?

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
Re: At least a hundred books published?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 01:11:21 AM »
I would have, if I hadn't unpublished some stuff a few years back. What difference does it make? If one isn't writing what will sell, a thousand books, a million books, not going to achieve the goal.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline scott.marmorstein

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 02:37:02 AM »
I would have, if I hadn't unpublished some stuff a few years back. What difference does it make? If one isn't writing what will sell, a thousand books, a million books, not going to achieve the goal.

I don't know if everyone's goal is just to make money. That may be the majority rule, but there are always outliers. Some people just have to write, tell stories, make something that was never there before because of the art. The money just might be a gravy situation for them.
PREVAIL - Owen Hunter Series Book 3: 100%

The Wizard & The Jewel The Chronicles of Ionor: 100%
Scott Marmorstein | blog | web | facebook

Offline ThomasDiehl

• MGladbach, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 02:50:42 AM »
Depends on the goal, don't it?

That said, writing 1,000 books that barely sell one copy a month might do the trick. Also, I think it is impossible to write that many books without striking, not necessarily gold, but maybe aluminum.
All Hail the King series: 4%

How the Rain Gets In: 21%
English Blog | German Blog

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 07:55:03 AM »
Back in the old days, when the respectable hardcover publishers restricted authors to one book a year, a lifetime oeuvre usually was about thirty-five books, give or take depending on how long the author lived. Paperback originals, as they were quaintly called, sometimes were written very fast by authors who proudly called themselves hacks and wrote in multiple genres. Some of those authors' lifetime total numbers of books were in the hundreds and as much as a thousand, according to them. Michael Avallone wrote entire books over a weekend, and I personally know people who have done the same just out of competitiveness with his reputation.

So, yes, authors with more than one hundred publication credits, all of them full-length books, exist. So do authors with that same number of credits, or many more, who only write magazine articles, although that business angle is not very healthy these days. So what? Is there any point to the number of publication credits we have? I'm sure there are people keeping score over the number of published letters on the NY Times Op-Ed page they have, but it doesn't seem like a useful way of judging the scale of one's oeuvre. If you write an epic fantasy of 200k and I write four romances of 50k, should my total be deemed bigger than yours? I don't think so. Maybe we should only count the total number of words we've had published. If we only count credits we're comparing apples to oranges.   

Online Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 08:41:05 AM »

The more books you have on Kindle Unlimited the easier it is for readers to find your books. You can never have too many books.

Online notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 09:31:38 AM »

No, and I would be extremely skeptical of anyone who has. The KDP has been in existence for only ten years, so -- ten books a year? Nobody can write and format anything worth reading in five or six weeks' time. Not even Georges Simeon, who only had to write them.
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:33:13 AM »
No, and I would be extremely skeptical of anyone who has. The KDP has been in existence for only ten years, so -- ten books a year? Nobody can write and format anything worth reading in five or six weeks' time. Not even Georges Simeon, who only had to write them.
Oh, I love you, too.  :-*

Amanda M. Lee

Online boba1823

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 09:45:02 AM »
In a previous thread, to the best of my recollection, the community here determined that it is not only possible but also eminently feasible to write five 80,000 word novels in one week's time. So it should be no real challenge to hit the 100 mark within half a year, allowing ample time for breaks.

I plan to get started just as soon as I finish remodelling my kitchen. And bathroom. Oh, and finish that other little project... but definitely very soon.

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »
If we're counting everything I have about, errrr, fifty stories/drabbles/novels online but only about 5 for sale. I'll never hit 100 salable pieces of work in my lifetime. I may produce, if I'm lucky, about twenty-five before I keel over.

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Online Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »

I started in 2010 and I had a large number of books that I had written. So I published those to Amazon immediately. So I started out with a lot of books.

Offline scott.marmorstein

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 09:54:12 AM »

This just doesn't strike me as true. Formatting really is fast becoming an old issue. If you have Vellum, and about fifty manuscripts you've written but never done anything with, you could, in theory, put them together over a couple of months, give or take your allotted time to deal with them. Longer, I suppose, if you had to come up with fresh blurbs etc. But it could be done. They might not be edited or vetted pieces, but technically it can be done. "You can polish a turd and put a flower on it, but at the end of the day, it's still just a turd." Some books are like that.
PREVAIL - Owen Hunter Series Book 3: 100%

The Wizard & The Jewel The Chronicles of Ionor: 100%
Scott Marmorstein | blog | web | facebook

Offline T E Scott Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 10:13:58 AM »

I disrespectfully disagree. Plenty of indies writing fun books in those timescales. Even if you want litfic, lots of classics were written that quickly (Prime of Miss Jean Brodie for one)

T E Scott

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 11:07:28 AM »
I'm a slow writer, but many write fast and well on the forum!  I'm at nine books (five are short) but would love to get maybe forty or fifty published. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Online Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 11:22:50 AM »
Gee, I've only written 49, but then I already had eight when I first published. On the other hand, I don't really see the point of this thread. The number of books published isn't a sign or success. I put out a 10k short story in three weeks, but few are buying, so I ain't getting rich any time soon.

Marti Talbott's Books   www.martitalbott.com

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »
There are prolific writers so there are probably many writers that have published more than one hundred books. I am talking about all kinds of books non-fiction, novels, novelette, and short stores. I have been over a hundred books for a year or two.

Close

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 11:40:16 AM »
According to Book Report I have 235. That does not include preorders, of which I probably have ten titles on preorder right now). Also, that includes a good thirty to forty old erotica shorts that are no more, a good 50 or so omnibuses, 15 30,000-word shorts (which I do not consider in my total because they're not full novels), and about 10 temporary samplers that have come and gone. I have published more than 100 full novels, though. I passed that mark between my two names in September. And, yes, notjohn. They're all total crap.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 12:07:46 PM »
It'll probably take me a while to reach that milestone. I need to get working.

With a hundred books out there, you'd only need to make a dollar a day off every book to make over $30,000 in a year, and the more books you have out, the more traction you're likely to gain.

Ryan W. Mueller | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »
I have well over 100 novels and shorts in a dozen genres under five pen names. First one published in 2011.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline Justin Jordan

• The Wilds of Pennsylvania
  • Doesn't Talk Much
    • View Profile
    • HyperPulp 5000
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 01:10:33 PM »
Oh, I love you, too.  :-*

I mean certainly, no one wrote books before KDP, so this logic is totally sound.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 01:12:06 PM »
Nobody can write and format anything worth reading in five or six weeks' time.

I strongly disagree. Especially since the OP included non-fiction and short stories in the count. And as Amanda has shown repeatedly, it's more than possible for novels as well, and I'd say her success proves how incorrect that statement is.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog | Video Courses | Quick & Dirty Guide to AMS

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »
In a previous thread, to the best of my recollection, the community here determined that it is not only possible but also eminently feasible to write five 80,000 word novels in one week's time. So it should be no real challenge to hit the 100 mark within half a year, allowing ample time for breaks.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline Eric S. Kim

• Southern California
  • Keep Writer's Block in the Friend Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 02:50:36 PM »

That is a BIG goal for me.
Riders From The Sky (Raveera's Reign, Book One): 0%

Blackjack Troopers (Quintana's Campaign, Book One): 20%

Ways of the Wild (Quintana's Campaign, Book Two): 0%

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 03:57:21 AM »
Well, sure if the goal is simply to publish, then why worry about sales? I'm not knocking it as a goal, but probably 99% of the people who publish expect to make money from their toil. So, again, what's the point of simply obtaining some number of books? Despite what some say, there's no magic formula in writing. X number of books, or X genre, or X publishing schedule, Write By Number, none of it's guaranteed to make anyone a selling writer. Some things help, but nothing is a sure fire winner.

And as others have pointed out, it's entirely possible to publish well and quickly. Anyone who's been around the indie world more than a week should know that already, notjohn's usual dismissals notwithstanding.

Here's a tip:  want to start a conversation? Don't be coy. Tell us why you want to know something, and maybe we can answer in a way that won't be so opposite to what we seem to have to have expected to say. Or not.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Norman Steele Taylor

• Kindle Publishers' Best Friend
    • View Profile
    • Get targeted promotions for your kindle book - starts at only $75
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 04:48:24 AM »
How many pages are we talking about per 'book'?