Author Topic: Has anyone ever used Ryan Zee's list building service?  (Read 2168 times)  

Offline sisley

• View Profile
Has anyone ever used Ryan Zee's list building service?
« on: February 06, 2018, 05:57:11 PM »
Is it worth it?

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever used Ryan Zee's list building service?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 06:33:24 PM »
Is it worth it?

Isn't he the guy who spams people? I'm pretty sure i got a spam email from him. Anyone who spams me goes into my dungeon pile, even if they are trying to build a business. There is no need for it.

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:55:26 PM »
I've done a couple newsletter list-building promos with Ryan. No problems, no insistence that I discount my books during the promo, and best of all, no drama. I intend to sign up for a couple more with him. I believe he also offers more elaborate promos. I prefer the modestly priced, simple ones.

Offline caarsen

• View Profile
    • Carolyne Aarsen
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:59:46 PM »
I've used him numerous times and am signed up to do another one. I've had good open rates from the lists I've gotten from him. His service has really helped me build my list. I'd recommend it any day. Plus he has a large variety of types of lists.

Coming Home to Family and Faith
Carolyne Aarsen | website | Facebook | Book Bub

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 12:01:22 AM »
Isn't he the guy who spams people? I'm pretty sure i got a spam email from him. Anyone who spams me goes into my dungeon pile, even if they are trying to build a business. There is no need for it.
Unlike a lot of companies, I wouldn't call his emails spam so much as an honest enquiry. He has a good reputation and I am pretty sure he doesn't contact willy nilly, but chooses his targets with more care. He has no real reason to spam anyone. I haven't used him, because $60 is too much for me, but I've looked him up and he seems legit.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Online katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 01:11:49 AM »

This. I'm not going to work with anyone who signs up for authors' mailing lists just to get their email addresses. There are usually plenty of ways to contact an author that don't include doing things like that.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Ignore people's pet peeves and write on!

"If you tell me the characters should be smarter, I'm going to wonder if you've actually met any humans." - T

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 01:46:45 AM »
This. I'm not going to work with anyone who signs up for authors' mailing lists just to get their email addresses. There are usually plenty of ways to contact an author that don't include doing things like that.
He's not on my mailing list, but I still get the occasional e-mail from him, if he doing a promotion in my genre.

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 02:12:58 AM »
I've used him three times for list-building purposes, using a giveaway as the inducement. I've had a good number of signups each time and they haven't unsubbed in droves afterwards. His promos are very targeted at specific sub-genres, which I think helps a lot, and he does some pruning before he sends out the lists, to weed out those who only signed up for the freebie. Well worth it, for me.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 60; SUCCESS!; rejections: 3 and counting...

Online katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 02:31:01 AM »
He's not on my mailing list, but I still get the occasional e-mail from him, if he doing a promotion in my genre.

Whoever (he or someone he hired) is signing up is doing it just to collect email addresses, so if you (general you) have double opt-in, they'll just take the address from the verification email and will never become an active subscriber, so you probably won't even know about it, but they'll make you their subscriber without even asking. I'm just not okay with that.

"If you tell me the characters should be smarter, I'm going to wonder if you've actually met any humans." - T

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 02:45:44 AM »
Whoever (he or someone he hired) is signing up is doing it just to collect email addresses, so if you (general you) have double opt-in, they'll just take the address from the verification email and will never become an active subscriber, so you probably won't even know about it, but they'll make you their subscriber without even asking. I'm just not okay with that.
I've had people sign up, then try to sell me their editing, proof reading, cover design services. I see no difference with this.

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 03:08:56 AM »

I don't understand what you're saying here.

When I've used Ryan Zee, I get a csv file at the end of it with the emails of everyone who agreed to join my list. I import them manually into Mailerlite. Ryan Zee has nothing at all to do with the verification email or the double opt-in process.

I always sign up for the giveaways myself, using a different email address, and I've never, ever had email from them as a result after the giveaway finished. The only emails I ever get are author-directed, because I'm a previous customer, and they're very rare.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 

Online evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 03:30:49 AM »
From the way people were describing this I was seeing red flags - I was thinking of 'other' list building services that have been discussed on these boards which weren't on the up and up.

However, I took a gander through the site and upon looking at his giveaways I like what I see. These seem very, very targeted, which IMO means that people are signing up because they are definitely interested in what's being promoted.
Although, it's so targeted there's only one list I could even sign up to which is right at the very end of April - again a good thing I think because it means the same authors aren't targeting people, or people aren't signing up to the same author multiple times.

I think I'll give him ago. It can't hurt and I've spent more for zero results so...

E. V. Darcy | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 04:37:01 AM »
I know some writers who have used him, and they were very happy with the results.

Offline Romancer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 09:11:26 AM »
He charges WAY too much for his services. I haven't looked in a while, so I could be wrong... But it was $60 for his mailing list builder and I might get 600-800 emails? And half would either be duplicates from a previous promo or duds who unsubbed. So not worth it, IMO.

Write a short reader magnet and slap that thing up on Instafreebie or BookFunnel. Better subs, more of them, and MUCH cheaper.

But honestly, I think organic is the way to go these days. It's much slower, but your list is better. People are so inundated with NLs now (especially in romance) that their impact has lessened quite a bit.

Online katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 10:26:42 AM »
I've had people sign up, then try to sell me their editing, proof reading, cover design services. I see no difference with this.

Everyone who does that goes on my blacklist of people I'll never work with. If you're okay with such practices, that's your choice, but I'm not.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

When I've used Ryan Zee, I get a csv file at the end of it with the emails of everyone who agreed to join my list. I import them manually into Mailerlite. Ryan Zee has nothing at all to do with the verification email or the double opt-in process.

I always sign up for the giveaways myself, using a different email address, and I've never, ever had email from them as a result after the giveaway finished.
The only emails I ever get are author-directed, because I'm a previous customer, and they're very rare.

I'm not talking about the services he provides, just about the way he gets authors' email addresses to offer them his services. Some of us have different email addresses for everything, including mailing lists, so when someone sends an unsolicited email offering their services to a certain email address, we know how they got our address and how it ended up on their mailing list. His services might be awesome, but I guess I'll never know.

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Virginia McClain's Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 10:37:55 AM »
I am in the middle of a list building promo with him right now for "Mages & Sages." In other words an epic fantasy giveaway. I won't know the results until the end of the promo (as someone mentioned he sends a csv after all is said and done and then we have to import the sign ups into our mailing list by hand). So far, I haven't seen anything shady about it. I'll post results here after I get them. The giveaway goes until next Monday and then we get our csv file sometime after that.
Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs & Formatting

Offline RTW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 11:47:11 AM »
I have to admit that I never heard of Ryan Zee until this thread and, reading their website, I'm still not sure I can even participate, since my books are all in KU.

I wrote to them and someone wrote back to me, referencing a page on their site which seems to be saying that there are 2 winners to the multi-author giveaway and that, through Amazon, you gift them the copies of your book. But--and please excuse me for being totally clueless about this, but this is the first I heard of this service--the $60 one is paying for this is surely not just so you can then pay for 2 of your Kindle books and gift them to 2 people. Do people just sign up for your mailing list because you're in this promo?

Obviously, I've never done anything like this, and there are a couple of promos coming up that I could participate in--if only I could figure out how I can offer my KU books for free and what I might expect to get out of the promo.

Feel free to answer this as though I just landed here from Planet Hunh?--because I guess I have.

Edited to add: I wrote back to Ryan Zee's customer service and got a more detailed answer. In case anyone else is reading this thread who had the same questions I did, I thought I'd post here. This was her answer:

For these giveaways, only 2 people win the prizes, but usually anywhere from 1500-3000 readers sign up for a chance to win. Those readers can opt-in to the participating authors' email lists on the contest page.

At the end of the promotion, we email you your list of new subscribers, and depending on the popularity of your genre, this is usually around 400-1000+ new emails for you to upload to your list.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:17:11 PM by RTW »

Offline meholstein

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
    • meganeholstein.com
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 11:48:14 AM »
Those of you who bought Ryan Zee's service and got emails, did you actually see a noticeable sales increase from that email list? Did it impact your sales, either in the short term or the long term?

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
Those of you who bought Ryan Zee's service and got emails, did you actually see a noticeable sales increase from that email list? Did it impact your sales, either in the short term or the long term?

It's very, very hard to know for sure how many extra sales result. Here are some numbers from my last Ryan Zee campaign:

Signups: 900+
Unsubs from welcome email: 4%
Unsubs from first sales email: 2%
Open rate on first sales email: 38% (similar to rest of list)
Click rate on first sales email: 14% (similar to rest of list)

I can't tell you what happened after that because I blended them into the rest of the list somewhat, but I'd think that of that 14% who clicked, at least a few would have bought the book.

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 04:03:18 PM »
Unlike a lot of companies, I wouldn't call his emails spam so much as an honest enquiry. He has a good reputation and I am pretty sure he doesn't contact willy nilly, but chooses his targets with more care. He has no real reason to spam anyone. I haven't used him, because $60 is too much for me, but I've looked him up and he seems legit.

"Definition of spam
: unsolicited usually commercial messages (such as e-mails, text messages, or Internet postings) sent to a large number of recipients or posted in a large number of places"

If i didn't request his email. It's spam. Plain and simple. You spam me, you aren't getting any respect from me.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:05:03 PM by thevoiceofone »

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 12:44:40 AM »
Everyone who does that goes on my blacklist of people I'll never work with. If you're okay with such practices, that's your choice, but I'm not.

I'm not ok with it. I find it insulting actually, because they get a newsletter, then reply asking if I need any editing, which seems like they're saying it isn't edited properly. That's no way to get new business. They get unsubscribed from my list straight away.

Offline SummerNights

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »

I can confirm that this is one of the ways they collect author email addresses. They contacted me using an email address I only use for my mailing list, so the only way they could have gotten it is by subscribing to my newsletter.

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 08:16:03 PM »
He charges WAY too much for his services. I haven't looked in a while, so I could be wrong... But it was $60 for his mailing list builder and I might get 600-800 emails? And half would either be duplicates from a previous promo or duds who unsubbed. So not worth it, IMO.

Write a short reader magnet and slap that thing up on Instafreebie or BookFunnel. Better subs, more of them, and MUCH cheaper.

But honestly, I think organic is the way to go these days. It's much slower, but your list is better. People are so inundated with NLs now (especially in romance) that their impact has lessened quite a bit.

They opportunity cost of writing a freebie is much higher than $60. But if you're going to do that anyway, why not both? I'm happy to pay $60 for 600 emailed because I only need to get 1% of those subscribers to read through my series to break even. Then the new subs on top of that are gravy.

Offline Norman Steele Taylor

• Kindle Publishers' Best Friend
    • View Profile
    • Get targeted promotions for your kindle book - starts at only $75
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 12:24:57 AM »
How does his service work?

Is it some sort of SOLO AD service or does he offer free content snippets to get people to sign up to your list?

What kind of free incentives are offered to list members?

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 12:28:43 AM »
Maybe I'm confused about this but the main complaint is that you sign up and you're on his mailing list so you get emails about other things?

But isn't that the same with pretty much every business in this world? I book a flight and I get emails from the airline about every flight special they have. I buy a dress and get constant emails about sale going on. I got groceries delivered when I was in KL about 6 months ago and I can't get off that list no matter what I do. I've never signed up for any of this. I've never checked a box. I've never even had a box to uncheck. It's annoying but it's a common business practice.