Author Topic: Has anyone ever used Ryan Zee's list building service?  (Read 1721 times)  

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
Re: Has anyone ever used Ryan Zee's list building service?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 01:41:49 AM »
Maybe I'm confused about this but the main complaint is that you sign up and you're on his mailing list so you get emails about other things?

I think the complaint is that Ryan Zee is harvesting author email addresses by signing up for authors' mailing lists, and then sending advertising emails to those authors. I've never experienced this myself, in fact, I've never had anything but positive experiences with them, but several people have experienced this behaviour.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 63; acceptances: 1

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 01:46:51 AM »
Maybe I'm confused about this but the main complaint is that you sign up and you're on his mailing list so you get emails about other things?

But isn't that the same with pretty much every business in this world? I book a flight and I get emails from the airline about every flight special they have. I buy a dress and get constant emails about sale going on. I got groceries delivered when I was in KL about 6 months ago and I can't get off that list no matter what I do. I've never signed up for any of this. I've never checked a box. I've never even had a box to uncheck. It's annoying but it's a common business practice.
I think it's more where he is getting our email addresses from that is bothering people. But, having said that, my books and my genre are no secret and it is easy enough to find out my contact details. He has only emailed me when he is doing a promotion in my genre.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline Norman Steele Taylor

• Kindle Publishers' Best Friend
    • View Profile
    • Get targeted promotions for your kindle book - starts at only $75
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 01:56:25 AM »
I think the complaint is that Ryan Zee is harvesting author email addresses by signing up for authors' mailing lists, and then sending advertising emails to those authors. I've never experienced this myself, in fact, I've never had anything but positive experiences with them, but several people have experienced this behaviour.

I hope that's not the case because he'd be SERIOUSLY diluting his brand's perceived value if he engaged in such practices.

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 04:23:39 AM »
Aha, so you mean he's getting addresses of authors who never signed up in the first place? Not good.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 04:30:15 AM »
Aha, so you mean he's getting addresses of authors who never signed up in the first place? Not good.
I certainly never signed up, but it never occurred to me to be offended by his invitations. It's not like something that keeps spamming you with stuff you will probably have no interest in.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline RomanceAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 04:45:06 AM »
I haven't used his services, but I just wanted to say that cold "calls" (or emails in this case) are legit business practices. You (general author you) are a business. Everyone is welcome to sell you their services, so him emailing authors (I also get his emails often) is NOT spamming, even if you didn't subscribe to his list or anything. he's not "harvesting" emails, he's just doing what business have done since forever: sending out cold inquiries.

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 05:34:31 AM »
I haven't used his services, but I just wanted to say that cold "calls" (or emails in this case) are legit business practices. You (general author you) are a business. Everyone is welcome to sell you their services, so him emailing authors (I also get his emails often) is NOT spamming, even if you didn't subscribe to his list or anything. he's not "harvesting" emails, he's just doing what business have done since forever: sending out cold inquiries.

It may have been done since time immemorial, but sending unsolicited advertising emails is the very essence of spam.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 

Offline RomanceAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 05:46:32 AM »
It may have been done since time immemorial, but sending unsolicited advertising emails is the very essence of spam.

Yes, that was a poor choice of words on my part :-) I guess I just can't put him in the same category as people sending me ads for pills I don't need for members of anatomy I don't have. In any case, if he gets solid results, I'll check out the services. 

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2018, 05:58:00 AM »
In my opinion...

Spam is unsolicited, commercial, bulk email (e.g. an email sent to 15 million people to promote a Russian dating site).

I don't consider one-off emails sent to drum up business to be spam.

Again, it's just my opinion. The FTC defines it differently.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2018, 06:13:45 AM »
Yes, that was a poor choice of words on my part :-) I guess I just can't put him in the same category as people sending me ads for pills I don't need for members of anatomy I don't have. In any case, if he gets solid results, I'll check out the services.

I agree. There are far worse cases. But still, I can't blame people for calling it spam.

Offline katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »

I get a lot of emails from businesses offering me their services, and that's fine, but that's because they're using the contact info I provided, or they contact me through Facebook, Twitter, etc. None of those businesses ignored all the legit ways to contact me and signed up for my mailing list to get their hands on my email address so they could add me to their mailing list.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Ignore people's pet peeves and write on!

"If you tell me the characters should be smarter, I'm going to wonder if you've actually met any humans." - T

Online SummerNights

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2018, 01:34:01 PM »
I get a lot of emails from businesses offering me their services, and that's fine, but that's because they're using the contact info I provided, or they contact me through Facebook, Twitter, etc. None of those businesses ignored all the legit ways to contact me and signed up for my mailing list to get their hands on my email address so they could add me to their mailing list.

Well said! I have a website that lists ways to contact me, same with Facebook, Twitter etc. Signing up for my mailing list to get en email address I don't share publicly and then add said email to a marketing list is unacceptable.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac