Author Topic: Selling an IngramSpark book on Amazon  (Read 507 times)  

Offline Emma Kathryn

• View Profile
    • Emma Kathryn Writer and Variety Artist
Selling an IngramSpark book on Amazon
« on: February 08, 2018, 06:23:11 PM »
Hi, I've received strong advice to make paperbacks and ebooks with both IngramSpark and Amazon (in the case of Amazon, the paperback would be CreateSpace, naturally) and exploit the advantages of both. There is an issue, I understand, in that if you have an IngramSpark paperback on Amazon, as opposed to a CreateSpace paperback, it's harder to sell. I've got my IngramSpark ebook and paperback, and my Amazon ebook, about to publish. I am still processing my CreateSpace paperback.
But now I've received advice that CreateSpace is not a good option for me as I live in Australia. For a start, the physical proof could take three weeks to arrive and push the release date weeks into the future, so it can't be released simultaneously with the ebook. Not to mention payment. CreateSpace don't do direct debit for Australians, so I'd be waiting for checks to arrive in the mail from overseas all the time.
So I am wondering if in these circumstances, the disadvantages of being published by CreateSpace outweigh the advantages. Does anyone have any advice? A million thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 06:25:45 PM by Emma Kathryn »

Offline Quills

• View Profile
Re: Selling an IngramSpark book on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
If you haven't looked into Payoneer yet, you might find that a good option for CS payments (and Amazon in general). It allows Amazon to pay you directly into a US bank account. No minimum payment. Given that most of the freelancers I use are US based, this is doubly convenient because I can pay their invoices in USD by linking by Payoneer account to my Paypal.

Online dcswain

• View Profile
    • Author Website:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 11:02:03 PM »
Hi, I've received strong advice to make paperbacks and ebooks with both IngramSpark and Amazon (in the case of Amazon, the paperback would be CreateSpace, naturally) and exploit the advantages of both. There is an issue, I understand, in that if you have an IngramSpark paperback on Amazon, as opposed to a CreateSpace paperback, it's harder to sell. I've got my IngramSpark ebook and paperback, and my Amazon ebook, about to publish. I am still processing my CreateSpace paperback.
But now I've received advice that CreateSpace is not a good option for me as I live in Australia. For a start, (1) the physical proof could take three weeks to arrive and push the release date weeks into the future, so it can't be released simultaneously with the ebook. Not to mention payment. CreateSpace don't do direct debit for Australians, so (2) I'd be waiting for checks to arrive in the mail from overseas all the time.
So I am wondering if in these circumstances, the disadvantages of being published by CreateSpace outweigh the advantages. Does anyone have any advice? A million thanks in advance.

Addressing those two points in bold:

(1) Yes the physical proof takes a long time, but CS offer electronic proofs. It may not be a perfect solution, but it is an option.

(2) Consider using KDP Print instead of CreateSpace. That way you get paid for your paperbacks at the same time, and in the same method, as your ebook sales (usually direct deposit). There are a lot of complaints around saying that KDP Print has no benefits over CS, but payment method is a factor to consider if you're in Australia (or New Zealand like I am). That would mean Ingram does your "expanded distribution" (for want of a better term), paying you by PayPal, while KDP Print takes care of Amazon entirely (ebook and paperback), paying you by direct deposit/electronic transfer. From my experience, the quality of printing/binding from KDP Print and CreateSpace is almost identical.

DC Swain | Author Website

Offline DIAMONDSINTHESKY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 06:58:07 AM »
Emma, you can opt for an express delivery if time is an issue, but my honest opinion is to wait. I was aiming for a certain release date for mine and I have had to put it back twice, but I am so glad I waited. The physical proof is vital and your last chance to correct any errors. Ingram also have various options on delivery. Don't forget you can order a proof from Ingram and right now they have a code option discount where until March uploading the book is free, so actually you're only going to pay for the cost of the proof copy itself which if you have it sent express will still be around 15 bucks or so.

This means you can get a proof from them but still opt to sell via createspace. I know its really confusing, my head is still spinning myself!

Offline okey dokey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 07:14:06 AM »
For your readers in Australia, surely you can find a book printer in Australia for your home market.

Online Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 07:31:50 AM »
Being in Canada, I have many of the same problems. I used to use CreateSpace (which is closing soon anyway, is it not?) but switched to IngramSpark so my books would be available to libraries. (They're also on Indigo's site, which is in Canada only.) 

Here's the thing about CreateSpace that U.S. users don't realize: You have to accumulate $100 in sales before CS will pay you by check (there's no online payment option for Canadians; I don't know about Australia). Also, they add an $8 fee to that, so I have to earn $108 before payment--and that threshold applies to every geographic market. I actually have royalties payable from CS that I've never received, and never will. They're just sitting there in my account.

Whereas IngramSpark pays me every month electronically with no difficulties.

As for the proofs, I know this might horrify some people, but I'm perfectly happy with the online previewer. (Although to be fair, IngramSpark ships to Canadian addresses pretty quickly.)

I also use KDP Print, solely because of the payment problem. My paperback royalties are included with my regular Amazon royalties every month. Simple. (I have my own ISBNs, and use the same one for both KDP and IS.)

BUT the KDP Print paperbacks are NOT available on amazon.ca. I have no idea why Amazon excludes Canada this way, but it does. It's pretty aggravating, because the IngramSpark paperbacks don't show up on Amazon either. So as far as amazon.ca users are concerned, I have no paperbacks. Indigo (the non-ebook version of Kobo in Canada) sells them online, but most people don't realize that.

So it's a tossup.  :) But I like getting paid.

In Leafy Hollow, murder is always in season!
Rickie Blair | RickieBlair.com | GoodReads | Facebook

Offline S. C.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 09:08:56 AM »
If you haven't looked into Payoneer yet, you might find that a good option for CS payments (and Amazon in general). It allows Amazon to pay you directly into a US bank account. No minimum payment. Given that most of the freelancers I use are US based, this is doubly convenient because I can pay their invoices in USD by linking by Payoneer account to my Paypal.

I second Payoneer -  no more waiting for those checks and getting dinged with bank fees.  I can keep the balances in each source currency and use it to pay my suppliers without incurring foreign exchange fees too.

I use both Create Space and Ingram for my paperbacks because there are many areas where the two do not overlap perfectly and I want my books in as many channels as possible.

Translate Your Books! Earn More and Find New Markets.
S. C. Scott | Facebook

Offline Emma Kathryn

• View Profile
    • Emma Kathryn Writer and Variety Artist
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help. I see now that IngramSpark paperbacks are a much better idea for me than CreateSpace, partly because yes, they have a manufacturing facility right where I live in Melbourne, Australia. I see now that when I was first learning about this none of the "official" sources took into account the unique issues of antipodeans. I'm so glad I've learned a lot from these chat sites. As for Amazon KDP Print I've tried that, but I've had issues with it. Best stick with IngramSpark.

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 07:42:18 PM »
Being in Canada, I have many of the same problems. I used to use CreateSpace (which is closing soon anyway, is it not?) but switched to IngramSpark so my books would be available to libraries. (They're also on Indigo's site, which is in Canada only.) 

Here's the thing about CreateSpace that U.S. users don't realize: You have to accumulate $100 in sales before CS will pay you by check (there's no online payment option for Canadians; I don't know about Australia). Also, they add an $8 fee to that, so I have to earn $108 before payment--and that threshold applies to every geographic market. I actually have royalties payable from CS that I've never received, and never will. They're just sitting there in my account.

Whereas IngramSpark pays me every month electronically with no difficulties.

As for the proofs, I know this might horrify some people, but I'm perfectly happy with the online previewer. (Although to be fair, IngramSpark ships to Canadian addresses pretty quickly.)

I also use KDP Print, solely because of the payment problem. My paperback royalties are included with my regular Amazon royalties every month. Simple. (I have my own ISBNs, and use the same one for both KDP and IS.)

BUT the KDP Print paperbacks are NOT available on amazon.ca. I have no idea why Amazon excludes Canada this way, but it does. It's pretty aggravating, because the IngramSpark paperbacks don't show up on Amazon either. So as far as amazon.ca users are concerned, I have no paperbacks. Indigo (the non-ebook version of Kobo in Canada) sells them online, but most people don't realize that.

So it's a tossup.  :) But I like getting paid.

Rickie, walk yourself down to your local RBC and get an account set up with their RBC Georgia branch. Not only will Createspace direct deposit any money they owe you monthly, but you can also get your other US payments (KDP, D2D, whatever) deposited there. This is in your best interest as Amazon's exchange rate seems to always be in their favour. Plus you can transfer the money when the exchange rate suits you. Or even use the account to pay for ads or services without risking losing money on the exchange. There is more info in the Canadian Authors Support thread if you are interested. Hope that helps. :)

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Online ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »
Rickie, walk yourself down to your local RBC and get an account set up with their RBC Georgia branch. Not only will Createspace direct deposit any money they owe you monthly, but you can also get your other US payments (KDP, D2D, whatever) deposited there.

^^This.  And you can "let your fingers do the walking!" Just Google cross border banking for RBC or TD.

I should point out that when I was setting mine up some time ago, I decided to go with TD. With their cross border account, you can waive the fees by keeping $100 in the account. Unless things have changed, there's no getting around the fee with RBC.

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »
Yes, good point. A couple years ago BMO also had US accounts, too. But I'm most familiar with RBC's account since that's what I've got. Though I should really switch to TD since I use them for my everyday banking. Lol

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram