Author Topic: Method of paying Narrator through acx?  (Read 403 times)  

Offline hunterone

• View Profile
Method of paying Narrator through acx?
« on: February 09, 2018, 11:19:35 AM »
I'm running into a challenge with one narrator.

I was going to pay via paypal but the narrator wanted to charge me the fees that PAYPAL charges them for using their service

Basically, it costs me nothing to pay an invoice but when they get the money paypal takes a cut and they don't like that. ( even though that's the cost of using their service ) They think i should pay that fee but i told them to write it off at the end of the year as a business expense but they don't want to.

So they said okay, send me a check. But that now means i have to either get a certified check or some way to make sure they got it and cashed it otherwise they could turn around and say i never got it and then cash it later. Plus they have to wait for their money. Basically it's more problematic.

How do you folks pay your narrator and do you pay any additional fees?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:02:11 PM by hunterone »

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
Re: Method of paying Narrator through acx?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 11:42:44 AM »
I've started asking narrators during the audition phase if they accept payment via paypal and how they handle paypal fees. If they tell me they want me to pay the fee, I don't hire them. It's a business expense and they should be prepared to pay it.

I had another narrator asked me to use Venmo instead because of no fees. On that one it was too late to do anything about it, so I did it, but when you do that you don't have the business protections that you have using paypal business.

You could ask this narrator if they'll do Venmo. Just be advised it doesn't protect you any more than sending a check does, but at least you can see that payment was received.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Offline RBN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 12:04:28 PM »
It's against Paypal's TOS to charge you for the seller's fees unless they have written permission from Paypal to do so or charge the same markup for other payment methods. In other words, you can't be penalized for paying via Paypal.

3.4 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method without our prior written consent. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

https://www.paypal.com/ga/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#2

Any time someone tries to scoot around the rules, whether by trying to make the buyer pay the seller's fees or trying to use Friends & Family when they're neither to me, I refer them to those rules and the penalties for violations. Ideally, this would come up before the work was done and I wouldn't hire them. After the fact, if they didn't respond to the TOS reminder, I'd pay the upcharge to get rid of them and report them to Paypal on principle.

Fees are a cost of doing business. Any professional knows that and includes them in the quoted price.

Offline hunterone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »
Yeah that's what i told them. Fees are the cost of doing business. Though i understand them wanting to avoid them.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:42:31 PM by hunterone »

Offline S. C.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »
I use Transferwise which gives a much better exchange rate (if this applies to you) and takes the funds directly from my bank account so I don't have to keep a Paypal balance or incur high Paypal fees.  It's cheaper, more secure, and a lot of narrators already use it.

Translate Your Books! Earn More and Find New Markets.
S. C. Scott | Facebook

Offline hunterone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 12:44:13 PM »
I use Transferwise which gives a much better exchange rate (if this applies to you) and takes the funds directly from my bank account so I don't have to keep a Paypal balance or incur high Paypal fees.  It's cheaper, more secure, and a lot of narrators already use it.

There is still a fee to send whether its by debit, credit or bank using that service. I just checked. ( $11 for debit, $17 for credit, $0 for bank transfer but $9 for using their service, though this varies on amount sent. )

My concern is also with whether or not the narrator gets charged a fee to receive the funds? and does the money go to their bank account? If it does they probably get charged a fee to receive it.

So using that service. Both of us would get charged.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:57:33 PM by hunterone »

Offline S. C.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 03:45:28 PM »
With Transferwise, you can choose whether the sender or recipient gets the fee. And yes there is a 1% fee, because that is how they make their money. But the fee is much cheaper than Paypal.  And more secure.

The other savings is on the currency exchange - very significant for those whose source currency is not in US funds.  Paypal gives a terrible exchange rate (which is essentially another fee hidden in their fx rate). Transferwise uses the fx midmarket rate (no markup) which is the cheapest you'll find anywhere. This becomes a significant saving when paying large amounts of money.

Translate Your Books! Earn More and Find New Markets.
S. C. Scott | Facebook

Offline Andie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 10:00:23 PM »
Check or Venmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 12:34:15 AM »
Paypal. Narrator paid the fees. Every writing-related service provider I've ever worked with has invoiced me via PayPal. No one has ever asked me to pay a fee.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 01:13:24 AM »
I always go 50/50 with the PayPal fees. My narrator is worth it to me.

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 02:21:23 AM »
I'm running into a challenge with one narrator.

I was going to pay via paypal but the narrator wanted to charge me the fees that PAYPAL charges them for using their service

Basically, it costs me nothing to pay an invoice but when they get the money paypal takes a cut and they don't like that. ( even though that's the cost of using their service ) They think i should pay that fee but i told them to write it off at the end of the year as a business expense but they don't want to.

So they said okay, send me a check. But that now means i have to either get a certified check or some way to make sure they got it and cashed it otherwise they could turn around and say i never got it and then cash it later. Plus they have to wait for their money. Basically it's more problematic.

How do you folks pay your narrator and do you pay any additional fees?

PayPal fees are the cost of doing business, and asking you to cover those fees is against their terms of service.

If you're comfortable paying by cheque, go for it. Just make sure it gets cashed, and keep a record of it. If you're not, I would put the onus on your narrator to come up with something. Tell him you want a solution that offers you the same buyer protection that PayPal does, and if he won't come up with something, tell him he's not getting his cash. I'm guessing that will make him reconsider paying the fees himself.

Speaking as a service provider (I'm a cover designer), I find his behavior really unprofessional. He needs to put on his big boy panties and act like the pro he's supposed to be, rather than trying to foist his business costs off on you.

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 09:03:36 AM »
PayPal fees are the cost of doing business, and asking you to cover those fees is against their terms of service.

If you're comfortable paying by cheque, go for it. Just make sure it gets cashed, and keep a record of it. If you're not, I would put the onus on your narrator to come up with something. Tell him you want a solution that offers you the same buyer protection that PayPal does, and if he won't come up with something, tell him he's not getting his cash. I'm guessing that will make him reconsider paying the fees himself.

Speaking as a service provider (I'm a cover designer), I find his behavior really unprofessional. He needs to put on his big boy panties and act like the pro he's supposed to be, rather than trying to foist his business costs off on you.

Exactly.

Offline J.A. Sutherland

• View Profile
    • Alexis Carew Novels
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »
I always go 50/50 with the PayPal fees. My narrator is worth it to me.

This.

My narrator consistently gets better ratings on Audible than my books. :D This is a long-term business relationship for me. I cover the fees and I send a bit extra because she usually works with me on schedule issues.

J.A. Sutherland | Blog | Facebook | Twitter