Author Topic: Mailerlite unsubscribe rate: can I lose my account?  (Read 843 times)  

Offline Day Leitao

• View Profile
    • Author Sites
Mailerlite unsubscribe rate: can I lose my account?
« on: February 11, 2018, 07:59:23 AM »
I started promoting a free novella on Instafreebie and Book Cave Direct, and I got some subscribers.

I send a welcome email, which, for me, was a sort of double opt-in. It's getting a 60% open rate and 15% click rate. I only link to my website an to the Bookfunnel option of the book they already got.

But I'm getting a 5% unsubscribe rate. I personally think it's normal and I think it's a decent rate. But now I looked at Mailerlite terms and saw this:

Account Suspension

We reserve the right to suspend your account immediately and start investigating your activity if your campaigns have high percentage of spam complaints (more than 0.2%), bounces (more than 5%), unsubscribes (more then 1%) or very small open rate (less than 3%).

Yikes!  :o  I don't want to have my account suspended.

What are you guys'  experiences?  Have you had any problems with "high" unsubscribe rates?  Should I add double opt-in?

What about in the campaigns? Isn't less than 1% unsubscribe rate an almost impossible goal?

I'm thinking that maybe a high unsubscribe rate is not an issue, and that perhaps the issue would be with all these factors combined (low open rates, high spam complaints, high unsubscribe rate).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:29:54 AM by Day Leitao »

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
Re: Mailerlite unsubscribe rate: can I lose my account?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 08:41:11 AM »
I'm on Mailerlite and my understanding is that they're less stringent than MailChimp about this sort of thing. Possibly the terms were written a while back before the advent of Instafreebie and the like, when unsub rates were lower overall.

For comparison, my last welcome email to a freebie campaign for signups (via Ryan Zee, not Instfreebie) generated a 5% rate of unsubs, spam reports and bounces combined. About 3% unsubs alone. A typical normal email gets about 2% unsubs/spam/bounces. So your 5% isn't at all out of line.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 60; SUCCESS!; rejections: 8 and counting...

Offline Day Leitao

• View Profile
    • Author Sites
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 08:50:23 AM »
Thanks, Pauline.

That's what I thought. That said, I'll keep an eye on my stats and make some changes if necessary.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 02:17:28 PM »
I have never heard of Mailerlite banning anyone for "too many unsubscribes". That's a stupid thing only Mailchimp does. They probably have it in their TOS so they can act on it if necessary, but I suspect you need to be doing some other blackhat stuff for them to take this step.

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 02:44:43 PM »
The only time I've had over a 1% unsubscribe rate was when ML mucked up their AR sequences and people got lots of emails from authors  (including me) apologising.
However, I agree that they are unlikely to act on it in isolation (ie unless you're doing something they don't like). In particular, I'm sure they realise that when you are just starting, the percentages will be high (1 person out of the first 10 who subscribed gives you 10% straight off).

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Offline Day Leitao

• View Profile
    • Author Sites
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 05:00:37 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies!

I'll try to chill then.

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 05:15:12 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies!

I'll try to chill then.

You can always ask a Mailerlite CSR in the live chat if it's a problem.

Offline Day Leitao

• View Profile
    • Author Sites
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 03:09:49 AM »
You can always ask a Mailerlite CSR in the live chat if it's a problem.

That's another great idea. I'll do that.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 03:13:03 AM »
That's another great idea. I'll do that.

Why draw attention to something that's not a problem? Just keep going. Contact them when there is an issue, not when there isn't one.

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 05:04:19 AM »
I don't know if this makes a difference but I normally name groups thing like "Instafree + book name" or "XXX promo list". At least that way, you have a simple reference of where the subscribers come from if any questions are raised.

Offline Day Leitao

• View Profile
    • Author Sites
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »
Great ideas, peeps!  :D Thanks, Patty. Thanks Kathryn.

I'm getting my subscribers through integrations... So they should know where they are coming from. And I assume they'll have lots of user with similar stats, so I think I'm fine.

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 08:11:58 PM »
I'm not an expert, but I think the spam rate is much more of a red flag than the unsubscribe rate.  That's why I remind my readers in every newsletter about the handy unsubscribe button at the bottom.  It helps.

That said, a 5% unsubscribe rate sounds high.  My unsubscribe rate averages around 1.3%, and yes, I have individual campaigns that are under 1%.  You might want to take a look at your welcome letter content.  Is it just welcome, here's things to click on, or is there some content such as information about you and maybe a bonus short story?  Having more content and less advertising can really make a difference in the unsubscribe rate.  My welcome newsletter, for example, has a little information about me, a short story about a shopping cart, and a book rec that's not for one of my books.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it's worth thinking about.

Offline Day Leitao

• View Profile
    • Author Sites
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »
I'm not an expert, but I think the spam rate is much more of a red flag than the unsubscribe rate.  That's why I remind my readers in every newsletter about the handy unsubscribe button at the bottom.  It helps.

That said, a 5% unsubscribe rate sounds high. 

You might want to take a look at your welcome letter content.  Is it just welcome, here's things to click on, or is there some content such as information about you and maybe a bonus short story? 

Hey, Julianne, it's just an automated email with an alternate Bookfunnel link for the book they signed up for, and an explanation of what the list is about, with a big unsubscribe button. I was hoping to use it as a reverse double opt-in. If people don't want to sign up, they unsubscribe.

That said, what I noticed is that they don't count the stats for automation in the campaign stats, so I think it's fine.