Author Topic: one-star review, need advice  (Read 2437 times)  

Offline gilesxbecker

• View Profile
one-star review, need advice
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »
I don't mind one-star reviews in the least and certainly not this one, the point is I am going to try for a Bookbub soon --- I have a promo stacker coming up in the next few days --- and I have been advised that BB wants at least about a 4.5 star ranking. This one-star reads; "Hard to read...not sure what I should say about this one. After some fifty or so pages I stopped and am now reading two other books." I wonder if I could ask Amazon to remove it on the grounds that it doesn't really convey anything either positive or negative about the book? It's the only one-star. The others are 4 and 5. There's only 19 reviews but I hope to get more after the promostacker kicks in. I don't know if Amazon removes one-star reviews if they are uninformative, etc.? should I throw myself on their mercy and say help help I am trying for a BB?

As I said I don't mind one-star reviews at all, it's just this one glitch in trying for a BB. It's not bad, not good.
I am also going wide with some trepidation with Draft2Digital, they say they take care of everything for you. With that and a few good more reviews I might have a chance.

I don't write many books quickly, it took me about 7 years to do this whole dystopian series and so I am working fairly hard on the promotion of #1. But learned a lot writing them and am on to another book which I hope will only be a year in the writing. So that's my dystopia and I'm stickin' to it. Long live the inflatable cowboy!   

dystopian sounds grim but actually fun abounds
Giles Becker | Giles Becker

Offline Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
Re: one-star review, need advice
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:42:34 AM »
You can ask, but I would be astounded if Amazon did anything about it. There's really nothing for you to hang your hat on to complain about.

Bookbub doesn't require a 4.5 star average. This week, they featured a book in my category (Science Fiction) that had 28 reviews and a 3.8 star average.

Meanwhile, they have no problem turning down my first in series that has 177 reviews and a 4.6 star average.

With Bookbub, my best advice is just to apply every 30 days, month after month. This board is rife with people who applied on the same book dozens of times, only to be accepted randomly.

Good luck.

Shawn Inmon | Website | Facebook

Offline gilesxbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 10:45:31 AM »
thank you!

Offline anderfeldt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 10:48:30 AM »
If amazon is anything like in Germany, there is zero chance they'll do anything about this review.

I know authors who tried to have Amazon delete something like "I expected a love story, but it's not, it's violent 1 star" (review for a thriller whose cover looks like a thriller and is in the proper thriller category). 

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline DJWilde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 11:01:31 AM »
Yep, whether or not they will do anything about it is slim and random on top of that. But seeing as you have the news that they don't have such a star requirement I would plow on ahead and hope for the best. Lots of luck to you!

Offline gilesxbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 11:05:10 AM »
Thank you.
Will soldier on.

Offline gilesxbecker

• View Profile

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
  • Book designer & business coach
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
Chin up, happens to the best of them. One stars are part of the biz. It's how you react to it that will pave your way to success. Keep the quality of your work as high as possible, and the five stars should start rolling through...

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 11:55:45 AM »
Giles,

I rarely give below 3 stars. And now 3 stars is the minimum I will give. Or no review at all, especially if I don't finish the book.  Some of that reasoning is WRT what you say. But the main reason is - by golly they tried as hard as they could to write something compelling. That is worth 3 stars.  They get a C and not an A sort of thing.

So chin up - move on with your plans. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:57:43 AM by Picky Android »

Offline gilesxbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »
thanks! As I said I don't mind it or any 5-star review really it's just that it is bringing down the star-ranking. But people say you don't really need a 4.5 for BB so onward. Appreciate all the advice.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 01:55:06 PM »
BookBub does not require a 4.5 average. I have a book with a 3.8 average which BB has quite happily run several times. I would ignore the review.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 02:09:58 PM »
I have a book with an average of 3.4 (ya know, homosexual relationships and other "disgusting" stuff, yeah it's dark fantasy, dude oh yeah and btw "colour" is a legitimate spelling ya doofus) that they've run three times to great success and I know they will run again.

In contrast to so many other of these lazy-arse sites, Bookbub will actually look at your book. I very strongly suspect that when they're remotely interested, they'll even buy a copy and read it and keep notes on file for the future, even if they don't select it.

The only thing you need to know about Bookbub is don't second-guess Bookbub. Submit the thing. Get rejected, submit it again. Submit something else, get rejected, submit it again, and again, and again. Like tennis. When the ball comes back, you hit it back over the net.

ETA: I've also had three books accepted with zero reviews, so there is that.

Offline gilesxbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
That's insightful, thank you. Amazing variety in the things Bookbub accepts. I am seeing many on their site with 700 reviews and now here's others saying they got accepted with few or no reviews. Jeez you never know. Thanks all.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 06:48:15 PM »
If the email to Amazon is 200 words, that's 200 words you could be writing in the next book, which would be a much better use of your time, because Amazon won't remove it.

My books have been featured in BookBub almost twenty times now. But, here's the kicker, I've applied at least 400 times. You don't have to wait four weeks to apply again. You can apply immediately at a lower price. And you don't have to use just the first in series. Last week, my third book was in BB and it was hugely successful. I've had BB promos on books 1-6 of the series and all have been hugely successful.

Basically, I apply on a Monday for a discounted BB. When it's rejected, I apply the same day for a free feature. When that's turned down, I move to the next book. On any given day of the week, all year long, BookBub has an application from me. Their selection process isn't based on the number of reviews or the average. Mostly, they look for a book that fits well with books already selected, or other books in the application process.

With three books, you can apply every five days and still be within their four week rule.
Book One discounted on the 1st
Book One free on the 6th
Book Two discounted on the 11th
Book Two free on the 16th
Book Three discounted on the 21st
Book Three free on the 26th
Book One discounted whatever date is 28 days after its last application, in this case on the 6th.

It takes planning, so you don't violate their rules. I've been doing it this way for almost four years now. And that's the secret to my success with BookBub. Bury 'em. With 15 novels to choose from, I can literally send an application every single day.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 02:33:08 AM »
My last bookbub acceptence was 4.2 stars avg. Don't sweat it.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline Riddick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 06:56:52 AM »
Why would Amazon even consider removing this review anyway? The guy read 50 pages and didn't like it so he gave it one star.

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 07:04:21 AM »
I rarely give below 3 stars. And now 3 stars is the minimum I will give. Or no review at all, especially if I don't finish the book.  Some of that reasoning is WRT what you say. But the main reason is - by golly they tried as hard as they could to write something compelling. That is worth 3 stars.  They get a C and not an A sort of thing.

And because of this logic, the enter star rating system is useless because there is no proper context. This mentality has created an environment where everything is expected to be 4 or 5 stars, and three stars has become the new one star, making the entire system useless.

This isn't First Grade where we need to give everyone participation trophies. This is a business where business people are asking consumers to spend their hard-earned money (and, more importantly, their precious time) or their books.

If I go into a restaurant and the food is undercooked and the plates are dirty, I'm not going to say "By golly, they sure tried really hard so I'll give them three stars." Because as a consumer, it is not my concern to boost the fragile ego of the business owner and give them a motherly pat on the head and a kiss on the cheek.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline gilesxbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 07:20:40 AM »
If the email to Amazon is 200 words, that's 200 words you could be writing in the next book, which would be a much better use of your time, because Amazon won't remove it.

My books have been featured in BookBub almost twenty times now. But, here's the kicker, I've applied at least 400 times. You don't have to wait four weeks to apply again. You can apply immediately at a lower price. And you don't have to use just the first in series. Last week, my third book was in BB and it was hugely successful. I've had BB promos on books 1-6 of the series and all have been hugely successful.

Basically, I apply on a Monday for a discounted BB. When it's rejected, I apply the same day for a free feature. When that's turned down, I move to the next book. On any given day of the week, all year long, BookBub has an application from me. Their selection process isn't based on the number of reviews or the average. Mostly, they look for a book that fits well with books already selected, or other books in the application process.

With three books, you can apply every five days and still be within their four week rule.
Book One discounted on the 1st
Book One free on the 6th
Book Two discounted on the 11th
Book Two free on the 16th
Book Three discounted on the 21st
Book Three free on the 26th
Book One discounted whatever date is 28 days after its last application, in this case on the 6th.

It takes planning, so you don't violate their rules. I've been doing it this way for almost four years now. And that's the secret to my success with BookBub. Bury 'em. With 15 novels to choose from, I can literally send an application every single day.

Great advice! Thank you for taking the trouble. I see that's my game plan. Excellent, many thanks.

Offline gilesxbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 07:22:46 AM »
"Three stars have become the new one star". I disagree. When I am considering buying a book I usually look at the three stars because I find people tend to say 'this was good but this was bad' and can be balanced about a book more than the fives or ones. 

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 08:15:57 AM »
"Three stars have become the new one star". I disagree. When I am considering buying a book I usually look at the three stars because I find people tend to say 'this was good but this was bad' and can be balanced about a book more than the fives or ones.

This is true I think.

To be honest too ... if I see less than 200 four and five star, I think I can assume those are family and friends and friends of friends.  Over that number there is a following maybe. So you have to decide if it is your genre you like to read.

For religious, under 800 or so 4 and 5 star you are talking about congregations now. Over 1000 you are getting into followers maybe.

I have no idea that that is an observation I have that is actually true. I won't give any details on why I think that might be true.

We don't get to see how many downloads the book has with no reviews. Nor do we know if they really took the time to read it all or read it at all.  You do get a good deal of that info - but only with your book.  Private matters are private matters.

Does a KU reader really dive into the reviews is the question or does anyone?  I just have a loose perspective I use to gage things as I first start looking at a book.  Do you see only a lot of stars and start buying ?  If you are KU who cares.  So the levels I think are to be considered as an indicator if you are going to shell out money.

A 3 says, "No, this is not top notch." But they give some feedback too. You can change the book. 

So your idea on 3's is cool.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:33:06 AM by Picky Android »

Offline Lynn Is A Pseudonym

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 08:32:04 AM »
LOL.

Under 200 is friends or family?

I make a living off my fiction, have about 19 novels (some shorter than others) and haven't done ARCs or made review requests from the beginning. My best selling book has 19 reviews.

Just LOL.

People have such warped views of the reality of publishing that it feels like I'm reading a joke site here sometimes.

Offline eddarrow

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 08:44:34 AM »
I think the worst review is the one never given.
Ed Darrow

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 09:03:20 AM »
LOL.

Under 200 is friends or family?

I make a living off my fiction, have about 19 novels (some shorter than others) and haven't done ARCs or made review requests from the beginning. My best selling book has 19 reviews.

Just LOL.

People have such warped views of the reality of publishing that it feels like I'm reading a joke site here sometimes.

I am talking about reading and the star system ... I could give a flip about BB or promoting outside Amazon.

Offline hardnox

• Sierra Gold Country
    • View Profile
    • Daniel Phalen
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 09:10:18 AM »
... as a consumer, it is not my concern to boost the fragile ego of the business owner and give them a motherly pat on the head and a kiss on the cheek.

Dang, you're a hard woman, Julie!

But I agree 100%. Well put.

Dan Phalen | Website