Author Topic: Have your Amazon review numbers gone stagnant?  (Read 3241 times)  

Offline MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
Re: Have your Amazon review numbers gone stagnant?
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 04:17:40 PM »
From what I've noticed, they are being heavily monitored.  Every few weeks, I'll get an influx of 2-3 reviews.  They always show up at the same time and often one or two will be from days previous.  And then every now and then, a 5-star review will mysteriously go missing.   :o

Yep, that's my experience as well. I have no idea why a review even goes missing. The book I have the most reviews on is almost 8 years old! It's been permafree several times (then I'd put it back in KU, then try permafree again. The grass is always greener. lol) Anyway, with the thousands of freebies, and a good number of sales in that time, it gained reviews organically. I never asked for reviews because way back in 2010, it seemed readers were more likely to review.

When I published the first book in a new genre/series for me, I made it free a few weeks after I published in hopes of garnering reviews that way. I've never done ARCs until my last book. I did 12 that time. I think 8 actually left reviews and not in the timeframe I'd hoped, so I probably won't be doing it again. Too much hassle for a handful of reviews that may or may not have had a bearing on sales.

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Online Sati_LRR

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 04:49:13 PM »
Yup, and the same goes for the demise of organic newsletter sign-ups via backmatter. All because of Amazon are inserting their own pop-ups into our books and disrupting the intended reading experience we're providing.

Offline Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 05:00:09 PM »
Yup, and the same goes for the demise of organic newsletter sign-ups via backmatter. All because of Amazon are inserting their own pop-ups into our books and disrupting the intended reading experience we're providing.

Wow, I didn't know that. How rude.

Marti Talbott's Books   www.martitalbott.com

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 05:06:51 PM »
Not true  ;). https://insights.bookbub.com/bookbub-myths-busted/

I wasn't referring to BB's rules of entry, which are not specific regarding having a certain number of reviews, but to the fact that BB will feature a book and the accompanying copy--written by BB--will say, "[This book] has over 500 five-star reviews on Amazon" or the like. It's very daunting. I am willing to bet it incites some authors to make sure they have over 500 five-star reviews. Obtained however.

I've pretty much given up on getting organic newsletter signups. Most people never even see that page--and they may not see my pages of excerpts, either. Lovely.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 05:21:49 PM »

I've pretty much given up on getting organic newsletter signups. Most people never even see that page--and they may not see my pages of excerpts, either. Lovely.

Organic signups: put the link in the back *as well as the front* of the book. Make the link live. Voila! You now have a live signup link on your Amazon page. See this in action in the Look Inside of any of my books.

Offline cadle-sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2018, 05:46:35 PM »

The Olympics provides an alternate form of entertainment.  It surely cuts into book sales (as do big news events). At least it's only once every four years.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2018, 05:47:56 PM »
The Olympics provides an alternate form of entertainment.  It surely cuts into book sales (as do big news events). At least it's only once every four years.

Like the US elections?

*ducks*

Offline cadle-sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2018, 05:49:30 PM »
Like the US elections?

*ducks*

man, that KILLED my sales! I think romance people fared a bit better from it.

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:07 PM »
Floating a theory out there...I could be way off with this, but: maybe the reason there were more reviews in years past as opposed to now is the maturing of the platform? The novelty of the thing is long gone? Maybe people have written so many reviews over the years that they're kind of over writing reviews for the most part and just move on to the next book regardless of how they felt about the book they'd just read? Again, that might be way wrong, just throwing an idea out there.

Maybe the only reviews to be had now are from services, ARCs or - organically speaking - when someone feels so strongly about a work they just HAVE to say something about it? Or maybe not...maybe there's another explanation.

Ken Ward

Offline Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2018, 08:24:22 PM »
Like the US elections?

*ducks*

More fun than a soap opera. ;o)

Marti Talbott's Books   www.martitalbott.com

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2018, 09:05:29 PM »
Organic signups: put the link in the back *as well as the front* of the book. Make the link live. Voila! You now have a live signup link on your Amazon page. See this in action in the Look Inside of any of my books.
I have mine in the front of the book and immediately after "The End," along with my request to leave a review. It doesn't make any difference. My organic signups have dropped off from at least 10 a week to a couple a month since Amazon put that freakin' new popup in. And this is for books that are in the top 100 lists for all their assigned categories and have hundreds of good ratings and reviews each on Goodreads.

This wasn't something that slowly tapered off. Reviews and organic newsletter signups both went off a cliff after that popup started to appear in the Kindle apps. People *hate* nag popups. Anyone who has ever done software development should know that the majority of time users are going to click whatever they have to in order to make it go away without bothering to read it, and then navigate away to keep it from showing up again.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2018, 11:06:50 PM »
I'm not sure I've seen it. Where does it pop up in the book? What does it say? --Thanks for any info.

Lorain O'Neil

Offline Sailor Stone

• Vote for Pedro.
    • View Profile
    • Sailorstone.com
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 05:49:15 AM »
I've lost several good, four and five star, verified-purchased reviews on all of my books over the last several months, and since I have rarely used review sites and the like I didn't have many to begin with. It's unsettling to watch as they have slowly disappeared with the passing of time. Also, I have launched book two and three in a series over the last few months and have yet to get even one review on any of the books despite sales. But I am getting reviews on GoodReads now that I have checked and I do nothing at all there in the way of promotions, ever.

Sailor Stone | web page | facebook

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 07:40:23 AM »
Only star ratings on Kobo for me as well. It's...strange.

On Kobo, when you finish a book the end screen has a star rating thing. It's really easy to fill it in before swiping the book to mark it finished, and as far as I know the rating is anonymous. However, actually leaving a review means going to another screen. In the current software it's Books > View Details > Review Tab > Write a Review, and from then you have to put a minimum of 50 characters in the review. It's not hard, but you have to want to do it.

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

Offline CloudStrife

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2018, 11:54:59 PM »
Forgive me I have not read the whole thread, but I'll play Sherlock Holmes on why:

1) Amazon takes down reviews that look suspicious (mostly 5 stars) - many of which were probably legit
2) Amazon takes down reviews written by authors, assuming they are suspicious - many of which were probably legit
3) Amazon takes down reviewers of people that know the author (family, friends, FB friends?, etc.) - many of which were probably legit

In the end, Amazon takes down reviews of ****loads of books by the most voracious readers on their site.

This means the most voracious readers feel ****blocked and no longer write reviews for Amazon.

How do I know? I am one of those reviewers who was warned for no real reason - and decided that I no longer review - despite being a fairly active reviewer in the past. Reviewers are sensible people who value their time, and do not like being pushed around for no real reason.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:56:55 PM by CloudStrife »

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2018, 12:27:58 AM »
Forgive me I have not read the whole thread, but I'll play Sherlock Holmes on why:

1) Amazon takes down reviews that look suspicious (mostly 5 stars) - many of which were probably legit
2) Amazon takes down reviews written by authors, assuming they are suspicious - many of which were probably legit
3) Amazon takes down reviewers of people that know the author (family, friends, FB friends?, etc.) - many of which were probably legit

In the end, Amazon takes down reviews of ****loads of books by the most voracious readers on their site.

This means the most voracious readers feel ****blocked and no longer write reviews for Amazon.

How do I know? I am one of those reviewers who was warned for no real reason - and decided that I no longer review - despite being a fairly active reviewer in the past. Reviewers are sensible people who value their time, and do not like being pushed around for no real reason.

Thanks for this useful insight. I quite agree with your reasoning. It's a pity there is no easy way for readers to express their frustration to Amazon without it having an impact on authors. It's just easier for readers to stop writing reviews than to go through some lengthy complaints procedure.

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2018, 05:57:01 AM »
I've lost several good, four and five star, verified-purchased reviews on all of my books over the last several months, and since I have rarely used review sites and the like I didn't have many to begin with. It's unsettling to watch as they have slowly disappeared with the passing of time. Also, I have launched book two and three in a series over the last few months and have yet to get even one review on any of the books despite sales. But I am getting reviews on GoodReads now that I have checked and I do nothing at all there in the way of promotions, ever.

I've also had about a dozen reviews disappear over the last 6 months. Most were on my most often reviewed book so it wasn't a big deal, but I'm mystified why they were removed at all. I have never used any review service or anything--I've just given away a boatload of books over the years, so naturally, a small percent of those who downloaded the free book went on to review. How those could be considered a violation of the review policy is a mystery to me. I've even had 3-4 disappear in the UK on that book. I'm in the US and can't think of anyone who is friends with me on FB or anywhere, who also left a review on Amazon. I'm not sure anyone I know through social media who lives in the UK ever even read my books, let alone review them. Most of the people I know are other authors and I never ask other authors to review my books. (I have asked two best-selling authors to give me blurbs. One I knew had read it already because he posted on his FB about it, but he was never asked to read or review. He did give me a nice blurb. The other has not responded to my request. I would have provided him a book, of course, if he had been agreeable. I feel bad even asking for the blurb and feel like I shouldn't have. *sigh* I suck at this kind of thing.)

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page