Author Topic: Is there a downturn in Kindle sales and KU reads?  (Read 1691 times)  

Offline solo

• View Profile
Is there a downturn in Kindle sales and KU reads?
« on: February 11, 2018, 07:43:09 PM »
Hi.

I noticed that ebook sales and KU reads have been significantly down lately on my sales dashboard this February. As in half. My genre is fantasy. Been watching it for a week now. I would have expected a drastic effect on my over-all Amazon BSR considering it is based on sales. But it had merely moved a few notches up and down.

Anybody else experiencing the same thing?

Offline Cheyanne

• View Profile
Re: Is there a downturn in Kindle sales and KU reads?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 08:13:07 PM »
My February sales and KU pages are down about 40% compared to last month. Historically February is often a bad month for me.

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:00:17 PM »
Higher KENP rate or Higher page count, zon refuses to let you have both  :P

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 11:05:40 PM »
Mine go up and down like the proverbial yo-yo. Of course, we who are actually in select know that KENP amount has nothing to do with page reads count, but I do think reports take longer to update than they have been.

May I suggest that it's not helpful for those who have had no success with select, or never used it, to jump on every opportunity to belittle the program? Some of us have done very well out of it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:14:39 AM by Doglover »

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline LovingLife139

• Cincinnati, Ohio
  • War. War never changes.
    • View Profile
    • Rosie Scott's Book Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:04:47 AM »
One of my genres is fantasy, and yes, I've experienced the same thing. February's been pretty slow so far this month. I did have a sudden flood of AU purchases which is odd and probably not related. February 7th was a fantastic day for sales and reads, but the rest of the month has paled in comparison to the average day for me since October.

Dystopian/sci-fi/fantasy. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Blog | GoodReads | Release Mailing List

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 01:05:11 AM »
There does seem to have been something of a downturn in Feb. I suspect this is normal seasonal fluctuation, but it was noticeable that it started on Feb 1. The system has seemed laggy this month, as well, which doesn't help the impression of a general slow down.

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 03:05:32 AM »
Now that I think about it, there's a huge difference between my January and February reports (based on the February trend). Though surprisingly, sales from other marketplaces have picked up. I don't know. Just have to keep on writing, I guess.

Offline Joss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 04:49:50 AM »
Me too. My Kindle sales almost halved at the turn of the month and flatlined thereafter, although the last couple of days have been good. KU reads have been pretty constant, but Createspace figures are down by about 30% too...

Offline Scrapper78

• Connecticut
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 04:54:13 AM »
My January was very strong, and my February is shaping up to be very 'meh." I have long since given up trying to figure out the fluctuations. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to any of it.

Facebook
Andrew Vaillencourt |

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 05:16:53 AM »
My reads look normal and right about where they should be.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline KylieG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 05:22:30 AM »
Some people believe every down month is cyclical.  I seriously see threads that begin with the post-Christmas slump in January and continue through the spring slump until the summer slump because kids are out of school right into the fall slump when kids return and then of course is the pre-Christmas slump in December.

With that said, this February has been pretty mediocre for me. However, last February was so bad that I completely changed how I did a lot of things and wound up having a great year in 2017.  I already hit what I did last February so even if it's meh or a bit worse than meh, I still feel okay about it.  Yesterday was tough though, I was at -$2.01 until 7pm from 2 returns and 1 sale.

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 06:05:03 AM »
Allow me to post the obligatory "I'm having a great month"!

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 06:30:46 AM »
Allow me to post the obligatory "I'm having a great month"!
I can't say that, but, in contrast to last year, my February is shaping up to be better than my January in terms of KU. January looks as if it will still be better in terms of sales because of a new release promotion.

We should all keep in mind that the number of books keeps growing, and even though some of them are just tossed up by their authors and never promoted, enough are to mean the sales pie is getting divided among more and more people. If overall sales grow more slowly than the number of books do, that would tend to reduce the share of all but the authors with the largest fan bases.

Interesting comparison: a new release last year got 18 sales on the first day and was at about 9000 in the paid store. A new release this January got about 24 sales and was at 19,000. That could be an algorithm difference, or it could mean volume is making it that much harder to break out.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 07:33:13 AM »
We should all keep in mind that the number of books keeps growing, and even though some of them are just tossed up by their authors and never promoted, enough are to mean the sales pie is getting divided among more and more people. If overall sales grow more slowly than the number of books do, that would tend to reduce the share of all but the authors with the largest fan bases.

My old, long out of print titles are perfect proof of how the number of books on the site has grown--When I first started putting up ebooks for the backlist titles I had rights to in late 2011, the print versions of those titles, some of which hadn't been available for a long time, were down around the 900,000-1,000,000+ mark.  I just checked. Several of those same print versions are now in the 7,000,000 range and one has reached the staggering depths of 12,000,000+ .  That's twelve million plus. Holy Cow!!   :o :o :o :o

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 07:34:09 AM »
I can't say that, but, in contrast to last year, my February is shaping up to be better than my January in terms of KU. January looks as if it will still be better in terms of sales because of a new release promotion.

Interesting comparison: a new release last year got 18 sales on the first day and was at about 9000 in the paid store. A new release this January got about 24 sales and was at 19,000. That could be an algorithm difference, or it could mean volume is making it that much harder to break out.

Thanks Bill. I am leaning towards the volume argument. Though January this year was not bad, contrary to what I expected. February is the meh month for me. I hope it doesn't get worse, it's just my 5th month as a published writer:(

Offline SunbirdBooks

• View Profile
    • Sunbird Books
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 11:11:26 AM »
...but it was noticeable that it started on Feb 1.

I have noticed the same with my sales and page reads, as well.

Offline Bookread

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 03:25:19 PM »
Hi.

I noticed that ebook sales and KU reads have been significantly down lately on my sales dashboard this February. As in half. My genre is fantasy. Been watching it for a week now. I would have expected a drastic effect on my over-all Amazon BSR considering it is based on sales. But it had merely moved a few notches up and down.

Anybody else experiencing the same thing?

My book sales for every marketplace (Apple, Smashwrods, Kobo, B&N, Thalia, etc.) have gone up except for Amazon, which has gone down slightly recently. The overall book sale amount has risen despite Amazon going down, so it's all good news to me.
* * *  Join Our Writers Club!  * * *

www.ryanlanz.com/writers-club

-Free editing
-Free blurb coaching
-Free query critique
-Free book coaching
-Free manuscript critique
-Free "one sheets" for your book
-Up to 50% off on over 40 writer-related services

Offline D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 04:11:15 PM »
Is it possible the Olympics have pulled a lot of readers away from their Kindles?  Just a thought.

Offline baldricko

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 04:12:54 PM »
Higher KENP rate or Higher page count, zon refuses to let you have both  :P
Could well be looking at my February report, so far as it stands at present.

A new trilogy is on the way, and it's something of a satire.
Gerard O'Neill | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 06:05:36 PM »
Is it possible the Olympics have pulled a lot of readers away from their Kindles?  Just a thought.

My wife said that she thought the Olympics was causing people not to read as much. My reads have been down since the Olympics started.
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 08:05:34 PM »
My sales have been steady as a metronome month after month. No fluctuations for this guy. 0 sales this month, 0 last month...projected to do 0 for March as well. Just call me Steady Eddie. Don't be jealous.  8)

Ken Ward

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 03:58:09 AM »
My sales are about the same. (FWIW, I'm not in KU).

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 08:14:50 AM »

I had the same thought last night as I sat watching the entire evening Olympics program. I even found out where NBCSN is on my cable lineup. Hey, it only comes every two years, and my books will wait patiently until its over.

Offline D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 09:48:15 AM »
I had the same thought last night as I sat watching the entire evening Olympics program. I even found out where NBCSN is on my cable lineup. Hey, it only comes every two years, and my books will wait patiently until its over.

Me too!  Luge has been awesome and Snowboarding a blast (and I don't mean of cold air).  Figure skating has been missing something (for me) this year.