Author Topic: Rapid release questions as I have too many options and am confused.  (Read 625 times)  

Offline tommy gun

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Sci Fi side (WIP)
Hey Kboarders! 

I understand the principal of rapid release.  A new book out in less than 30 days for the cliff to be kept away.  In fact I believe it is now 21 days from some conversations a year ago.

Scenario:
I have several short series that I am working on right now. 3-4 books per.  This is on top of my normal slow release process for 3 different series (which I am behind on but that is okay).

When it is time am I better off to:
Set up all the preorders and release a new book every 14-21 days until the series are all out there.  Setting up whatever promotions I can.  Pre-release pricing is always $0.99 and goes up to $2.99-$3.99 at the end of the pre-order

My options are to release series 1 book 1, 2, 3, 4 and then carry on to series 2 (completely different), then series 3.  I estimate if I get everything ready I can have 6 plus months of book releases, maybe longer if things hold off.

OR
do I release series 1 book 1, series 2 book 1, then series 3 book 1?  I would then go back to series 1 book 2 and so on so that all the series will start and end close together for release

OH!  and my current series that are releasing now.  Do I build them into that release schedule

Any suggestions on spacing betwen book releases? 
I write SF and some zombie.  Umm I have been told that given my use of bad language, or lack, that this is good for NA ish.  A lot of cyberpunk as well..... darn virtual reality isnt hard military.....

"Well release them now.'
No.  I can write now.  When my son goes to transplant I can spare a little time in a week, maybe.  So I write as much as I can now and then maximize revenue at that time by releasing and marketing new series.
When transplant is here I have heard stories and GVHD and other things would make anybody with empathy cringe.  So my capabilities will be restricted.

I KNOW there is no single answer.  I just need to see the options and if you see anything well let me know.

Also because I am sick and working in a fog today, if you need clarification please ask.
Transference Zombie bk 1: 91%

Corporate Marines bk 4: 19%

Transference Zombie bk 2: 33%
No matter what.  STAY POSITIVE!
tom germann | FaceBook | Author Webpage | Sci Fi Guy

Online Jaelynn

• View Profile
Re: Rapid release questions as I have too many options and am confused.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 04:48:42 AM »
I'm no expert, so this is just my small opinion for what it's worth:

I like the preorder idea but I would probably just release one series at a time, rather than the series 1 book 1, series 2 book 1 thing. Of course, I wouldn't have all the preorders up at the same time (which I don't think you were going to do, but just in case... since I heard it kills your ranking and whatnot).
I would also build the current series into the release schedule, just so you can have an overview of everything and promote, etc., accordingly, as well as know when to fill in the gaps so you won't have any moments where two books are coming out in the same week (since you wanted to stretch out how long these releases will last you).

Offline evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:41:16 AM »
Yeah, I'd go for one series at a time, or release series 2 book 1 at the same time or just before series 1 final book so readers can quickly move on to the next without breaking that connection with them.

I think I'd get confused if I was trying to follow an author and they were realising series 1, 2 and 3 with book 1 at the same time. I think releasing a second series once the first is established and flowing is quite standard.

P.s Good Luck with your son's transplant!

E. V. Darcy | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 05:47:04 AM »
Another option to consider is half way between the two. So release S1B1 then S1B2 then S1B3 then S2B1 then S1B4 then S2B2 then S2B3 and etc. Or some variation thereof. So that you keep momentum on each individual series, but you dont get a big drop between series while you build it back up again each time.

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Online Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:32:03 PM »
My opinion as a reader: release each series in full before releasing the next series. Generally, if I'm following Series A by an author, I'll find interruptions by Series B annoying and will be unlikely to buy them because it's Series A I'm interested in. However, if I read Series A, get a satisfying ending, and then Series B comes out, I'm far more likely to pick up Series B.

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Virginia McClain's Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 03:15:09 PM »
My opinion as a reader: release each series in full before releasing the next series. Generally, if I'm following Series A by an author, I'll find interruptions by Series B annoying and will be unlikely to buy them because it's Series A I'm interested in. However, if I read Series A, get a satisfying ending, and then Series B comes out, I'm far more likely to pick up Series B.

As a reader I agree with this. ^^^
Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs & Formatting

Offline Rob Martin

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Robert Martin Writes
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 03:30:10 PM »

I'd agree with this.

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 05:21:45 PM »

+1 as a reader.

Also, from an author's perspective, you don't want to risk burning yourself out!

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram | Amazon | Goodreads | Book+Main