Author Topic: Barrel Racers?  (Read 2552 times)  

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
Re: Barrel Racers?
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 03:36:01 AM »
I'm in the UK and my first mental image was of Niagara Falls.

I'm in the US, and that was my first thought, too. (Although I did grow up near the falls, so that might factor in.) I would not have known it had to do with horses.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 04:52:51 AM »
Yeah, I agree with others...  a simple line or two of general context should give readers an idea of what barrel racing is.  Of course, I'm assuming that if the term is important enough that its inclusion is deemed necessary, the context will already be in the story, like if some scene(s) take place at a rodeo, or one is being discussed.  If the term barrel racing is NOT that important or integral to the story (i.e., you're just using the term as a description of something completely unrelated) then I'd use a different description.
Jena

Offline Stagewalker

• Kissimmee Florida
    • View Profile
    • Stagewalker Enterprises
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 01:52:10 PM »
Colleagues,

Thank you for your thoughts. The context is well established in the story, but I was hoping to use the term in the short blurb to market the book. Based on your comments, that is not as good an idea as it at first seemed.

I just think referring to her as an "equestrian" does not adequately establish that she is a "Florida Cracker" cowgirl and not a wealthy "horsy set" amateur. Still looking for the right word...

Thanks again.

Bob

Robert H. Cherny

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 01:58:54 PM »
I like Florida Cracker even though I don't know what it is. I suppose someone will think it's racist. eta: I looked it up, so this is historical?

Anyway, maybe something like "She was a Florida Cracker/barrel racer, a cowgirl more comfortable in a barn than a ball." If you can afford to give that sort of context in the blurb, it will work.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 02:03:41 PM »
I like Florida Cracker even though I don't know what it is. I suppose someone will think it's racist. eta: I looked it up, so this is historical?

Anyway, maybe something like "She was a Florida Cracker/barrel racer, a cowgirl more comfortable in a barn than a ball." If you can afford to give that sort of context in the blurb, it will work.
"Cracker" isn't racist but it is a pejorative, insulting, elitist term for poor whites in the South. I would strongly suggest not using that term.

Like many insulting terms, it is sometime used self-descriptively with pride. However, that doesn't make it a good idea for someone else to use it and assume they won't cause offense, especially since outside Florida and Georgia I don't think it's ever (or at least not frequently) used that way.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:27:28 PM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Offline rchapman1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
    • ritaleechapman.com
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
I'm an Aussie - and yes, I know what a barrel racer is!  I'm sure you'd be using it in context anyway so that would define it.
Rita Lee Chapman

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 02:45:21 PM »
I'm familiar with barrel racing...but clearly some aren't. How about "Rodeo girl?"

Please don't use cracker. Just...don't.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 03:33:38 PM »
I'm familiar with barrel racing...but clearly some aren't. How about "Rodeo girl?"

Please don't use cracker. Just...don't.

I had never heard the term "Florida cracker" before, and yes, unless context is absolutely clear, one might easily jump to an incorrect connection to the unpleasant definition of the word.  It's easy enough to google the term (as I did) to find out what it is, but if someone doesn't already know or 'get' the term, they're really not going to bother looking it up to see what it does mean.  Bottom line:  you might either turn off or confuse a lot of potential readers.  Sounds like it's a state-specific term.

Also, from my five whole minutes of looking up the term, I don't know what the "modern" version of Florida Cracker (as found on Wikipedia) has to do with barrel racing or any other rodeo/horse activity.    ???
Jena

Offline cathywalker

• Canada
  • Pre-made and Custom Book Covers at Great Prices
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 03:49:12 PM »
You could always call her a "Starfisher"   ;D

Just kidding. You don't want to do that, though it is a recognized term for many barrel racers and if you want to know why just google some images of barrel racers.

Good luck figuring out the proper term.

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »
Also, from my five whole minutes of looking up the term, I don't know what the "modern" version of Florida Cracker (as found on Wikipedia) has to do with barrel racing or any other rodeo/horse activity.    ???

They were cowboys. A different kind of cowboy than the western type, but cowboys nonetheless - hence horse activity.
It was a pejorative that was taken as a badge of pride (like Yankee for example) although in modern times it has become negative again in some areas.
I am sure there are many proud crackers who are also proud members of DAR.
It signifies a settler rather than an immigrant; somebody who worked the land and created something from nothing.

Offline Christopher Bunn

• California, USA
  • Yes, Virginia, there is a monster under your bed.
    • View Profile
    • Scribbles & Tunes
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 04:02:41 PM »
I live in Monterey County, home to the Salinas Rodeo, which is the biggest rodeo on the west coast. I've seen plenty of barrel racing. Pretty cool event, actually. Some amazing riding. A few girls in my church compete in it at the junior level.

Christopher Bunn | Scribbles & Tunes | Newsletter

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »
They were cowboys. A different kind of cowboy than the western type, but cowboys nonetheless - hence horse activity.
It was a pejorative that was taken as a badge of pride (like Yankee for example) although in modern times it has become negative again in some areas.
I am sure there are many proud crackers who are also proud members of DAR.
It signifies a settler rather than an immigrant; somebody who worked the land and created something from nothing.

I had the impression that the OP's book is contemporary (although I don't know for sure).  My five minutes' investigation tells me that the term "Florida cracker" has a contemporary meaning that is quite different from the historical one.
Jena

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »
I had the impression that the OP's book is contemporary (although I don't know for sure).  My five minutes' investigation tells me that the term "Florida cracker" has a contemporary meaning that is quite different from the historical one.
Would you believe Urban Dictionary?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Florida%20Cracker
They even have their own horse breed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Cracker_Horse

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 07:30:01 PM »
I did some barrel racing when I was VERY young.

I haven't kept up with the sport at all and didn't realize the competitions are mostly female.

I think you may be right about not describing her as an "equestrian." Although technically correct, the connotations are wrong.

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »
I've never been around horses (I thought a pony was a young horse when I was in high school), never attended a riding competition, etc. but I know what a barrel racer is.

I would just like to say that I thought the same thing. I did not learn differently about ponies for many decades.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 07:59:52 PM »
Would you believe Urban Dictionary?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Florida%20Cracker
They even have their own horse breed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Cracker_Horse

Yes, I agree.  The UD definition confirms that current usage of the term has little relevance to horses, only mentioning them once in a casual example.  As for Wikipedia, I looked up "Florida Cracker" (sans the word horse) and that page gives an Historic as well as a Modern usage of the term.  The modern usage doesn't even mention horses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_cracker
Jena

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »
Yes, I agree.  The UD definition confirms that current usage of the term has little relevance to horses, only mentioning them once in a casual example.  As for Wikipedia, I looked up "Florida Cracker" (sans the word horse) and that page gives an Historic as well as a Modern usage of the term.  The modern usage doesn't even mention horses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_cracker

Well, the OP said:
SNIP I just think referring to her as an "equestrian" does not adequately establish that she is a "Florida Cracker" cowgirl and not a wealthy "horsy set" amateur. SNIP
That is to say, she's a cowgirl, not an eventer.
So, if you look at Cowgirl Magazine:
https://cowgirlmagazine.com/great-florida-cattle-drive/
You'll find any number of Florida Cracker Cowgirls. In fact the women outnumbered the men in the cattle drive of 2017.
So yes, Florida Cracker Cowgirl is most definitely a modern usage (whether you admit it or not). It is hardly their fault nor mine that others have put the term to a nasty and pejorative use. :)

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2018, 12:54:24 PM »
Never heard of that. However, I can bet that my female friends into horses have heard that term.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2018, 04:36:38 PM »
Never heard of that. However, I can bet that my female friends into horses have heard that term.

Maybe not, if they don't live in Florida.   ;)
Jena

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2018, 05:10:01 PM »
Well, the OP said:That is to say, she's a cowgirl, not an eventer.
So, if you look at Cowgirl Magazine:
https://cowgirlmagazine.com/great-florida-cattle-drive/
You'll find any number of Florida Cracker Cowgirls. In fact the women outnumbered the men in the cattle drive of 2017.
So yes, Florida Cracker Cowgirl is most definitely a modern usage (whether you admit it or not). It is hardly their fault nor mine that others have put the term to a nasty and pejorative use. :)

No, it's not your fault but it is still true that in much of the South 'cracker' is a pejorative, therefore I'd suggest not using it in a blurb. It isn't as though the blurb is likely to be read only by people acquainted with a non-pejorative use or that it can put it in context. I could see using it in the novel itself where it would be in context, but the blurb is a different case.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Offline Stagewalker

• Kissimmee Florida
    • View Profile
    • Stagewalker Enterprises
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2018, 05:18:34 PM »
I think I may have misled some of you. The term "Florida Cracker" does have ambiguous connotations even here in Florida. I would not use it in the book's description for the reasons mentioned. However, in the sequel when they are driving a herd of sick dragons as if they were cattle, they marvel at the incongruity of a family of "Florida Crackers" driving the dragon down a road in Northen Canada.

I am familiar with the term "Starfisher" but I think that it is even less well known than "barrel racer".

The book is contemporary. In fact, it is set in in 2015 "someplace in Central Florida".

I may use the term "Junior Rodeo Competitor" which would be appropriate for her age and disposition. "Junior Rodeo" would set her apart from the rich girl horsey set.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Bob

Robert H. Cherny

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2018, 03:22:44 PM »
No, it's not your fault but it is still true that in much of the South 'cracker' is a pejorative, therefore I'd suggest not using it in a blurb. It isn't as though the blurb is likely to be read only by people acquainted with a non-pejorative use or that it can put it in context. I could see using it in the novel itself where it would be in context, but the blurb is a different case.
Now that I will concede.

Offline David Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »
UK here - I'd see that term and picture a bloke sitting in a wooden barrel floating down a river, a little like in the Hobbit films.

Same. :D

ETA. And we used to own horses.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:23:36 PM by David Brian »

David Brian | Goodreads | Website | Facebook | Blog

Offline gilesxbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2018, 05:34:44 PM »
I think I may have misled some of you. The term "Florida Cracker" does have ambiguous connotations even here in Florida. I would not use it in the book's description for the reasons mentioned. However, in the sequel when they are driving a herd of sick dragons as if they were cattle, they marvel at the incongruity of a family of "Florida Crackers" driving the dragon down a road in Northen Canada.

I am familiar with the term "Starfisher" but I think that it is even less well known than "barrel racer".

The book is contemporary. In fact, it is set in in 2015 "someplace in Central Florida".

I may use the term "Junior Rodeo Competitor" which would be appropriate for her age and disposition. "Junior Rodeo" would set her apart from the rich girl horsey set.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Bob

Yes, I would just say she is a country girl who rides rodeo "fast as a comet" or something like that. Agree to avoid cracker and barrel racer. Barrel racing started (I think) in the 'Fifties or earlier when women were forbidden to ride bulls or broncs. There were several deaths, if I remember correctly.  So they set up barrel racing in the three-barrel configuration for women only, also pole-bending (set of about eight poles in a line to be run in-and-out). In your blurb phrases like "a will to win", and "a love of speed" and "fierce competition" might liven it up.   

dystopian sounds grim but actually fun abounds
Giles Becker | Giles Becker

Offline gilesxbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »
I meant several deaths when women were allowed to ride bulls and broncs.

dystopian sounds grim but actually fun abounds
Giles Becker | Giles Becker