Author Topic: My first one star review  (Read 602 times)  

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
My first one star review
« on: February 13, 2018, 07:46:48 AM »
I've joined the club, but reading the other threads has really helped.  I know readers are not there to make me feel good about my work, they're leaving a review for other readers.

My friend and I published a book that is the first part of a serialized story.  We put that in the blurb, but it ended up in the 'read more' part and that was OUR mistake.  It's up to us to make sure readers know what they're getting.

So, we put the serialized story warning at the top of the blurb to make sure everyone sees it from now on.  Hopefully, that change and the review will be fair warning for future readers. 

ETA:  This is not a complaint, but wanted to share our experience to maybe help others...if anyone else is writing serials.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:57:08 AM by Lorri Moulton »

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
Re: My first one star review
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:24:52 AM »
Serialization, with or without cliffhangers, is such a great way to sell books. It's worth the occasional angry review, which -- you're right -- will be really helpful to potential readers who truly, deeply hate cliffhangers, rather than love-hating them (or however you want to describe the experience of finding something painful and pleasurable at the same time). ;)

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:07:26 AM »
Thank you, Becca. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »
I've joined the club, but reading the other threads has really helped.  I know readers are not there to make me feel good about my work, they're leaving a review for other readers.

My friend and I published a book that is the first part of a serialized story.  We put that in the blurb, but it ended up in the 'read more' part and that was OUR mistake.  It's up to us to make sure readers know what they're getting.

So, we put the serialized story warning at the top of the blurb to make sure everyone sees it from now on.  Hopefully, that change and the review will be fair warning for future readers. 

ETA:  This is not a complaint, but wanted to share our experience to maybe help others...if anyone else is writing serials.

This is also a recommendation for writers to read their reviews. I've changed a couple of things over the years after reading a review  ::).

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website