Author Topic: Mailing lists can work!  (Read 722 times)  

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
Mailing lists can work!
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:08:53 AM »
As a prawn, I've listened to a lot of sage advice on the Kboards (and elsewhere) and I took it on faith that the mailing list was important. Although I have yet to do any paid promotions for my books I'd built up my mailing list to a modest 1,000 subscribers.

After releasing my newest book and getting the kinks worked out on formatting I sent out a very basic email to my list with a cover reveal and some links to the various vendors and to my surprise I've gotten over 100 clicks already and about eighteen sales on the various platforms (about 7 on Amazon, 3 on kobo, and the rest spread out between other vendors)

I know it's almost nothing for most of you but it's nice to see sales arrive at your beck and call without spending money. One of the most confidence inspiring parts is that I'm seeing almost even amount of buy (on that small sales number) between all three books.

My website is under construction for the next couple of weeks and as it finishes I'll be stepping up into the paid promotion zone hoping for even more good results. ;D

Basically, if you are brand new keep up the work and build your system even if you don't spend money you can start seeing sales.
Havenglade Mysteries (Book 1): 75%

Daughter of Dragons(DoH book4)outline and character arcs: 2%
H.C. Harrington

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
Re: Mailing lists can work!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:48:14 AM »
Mailing lists are wonderful, and they're *yours*, not controlled by Amazon or Facebook or any other corporate entity.

I don't know whether you used a reader magnet to grow your list, but if so, don't assume that everyone on your list has already got it. Whenever I email my list for a new release, promo or whatever, I also remind them about the freebies and give them the links. Every single one of them has already had at least one opportunity to download the freebies, but every time I get more people clicking the freebie links than the paid sales links.  :D

Also remember Patty Jansen's advice: don't assume that every subscriber has read all your books. Keep reminding them about your backlist and telling them about promotions.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 60; SUCCESS!; rejections: 8 and counting...

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »
Mailing lists are wonderful, and they're *yours*, not controlled by Amazon or Facebook or any other corporate entity.

I don't know whether you used a reader magnet to grow your list, but if so, don't assume that everyone on your list has already got it. Whenever I email my list for a new release, promo or whatever, I also remind them about the freebies and give them the links. Every single one of them has already had at least one opportunity to download the freebies, but every time I get more people clicking the freebie links than the paid sales links.  :D

Also remember Patty Jansen's advice: don't assume that every subscriber has read all your books. Keep reminding them about your backlist and telling them about promotions.

That's great advice, Pauline.

And considering people seem to be buying book one off my newsletter email I can concur this seems to be true.

I'll be reminding people about book two in the near future. That one has the lowest overall sales so far. Just hasn't been visible or promoted in any real way yet.

H.C. Harrington

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:53:23 AM »
Email marketing is like poker: it takes a minute to learn, but a lifetime to master.

The good news is that once you master it, you can launch big and drive ongoing sales of your entire backlist.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline RTW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »
As a prawn, I've listened to a lot of sage advice on the Kboards (and elsewhere) and I took it on faith that the mailing list was important. Although I have yet to do any paid promotions for my books I'd built up my mailing list to a modest 1,000 subscribers.

After releasing my newest book and getting the kinks worked out on formatting I sent out a very basic email to my list with a cover reveal and some links to the various vendors and to my surprise I've gotten over 100 clicks already and about eighteen sales on the various platforms (about 7 on Amazon, 3 on kobo, and the rest spread out between other vendors)

I know it's almost nothing for most of you but it's nice to see sales arrive at your beck and call without spending money. One of the most confidence inspiring parts is that I'm seeing almost even amount of buy (on that small sales number) between all three books.

My website is under construction for the next couple of weeks and as it finishes I'll be stepping up into the paid promotion zone hoping for even more good results. ;D

Basically, if you are brand new keep up the work and build your system even if you don't spend money you can start seeing sales.

Thanks for posting this, Herefortheride,

If you could give some info about how you got this "modest" (to you--to me, I'd be astounded) number of subscribers, I'd really appreciate it, and I suspect others with small mailing lists would as well.

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 09:01:59 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Herefortheride,

If you could give some info about how you got this "modest" (to you--to me, I'd be astounded) number of subscribers, I'd really appreciate it, and I suspect others with small mailing lists would as well.

I wrote a couple of books and made the covers and blurbs as attractive as I knew how to and then gave away book one on instafreebie for 2 months but it was key that I joined two targeted group giveaways for fans in similar genres and that shot my list from 100 to +1,000 very quickly.

I'm NOT saying the whole list is good because I'm seeing a solid amount of bounce and unsubscribe but we are certainly seeing better and better results.

I got a message from a reader today that said "Havenglade feels like a place from my dreams and the characters get better and better with each book".

This is mostly "prawn" successes but I'll take them!  :P

H.C. Harrington

Offline RTW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »
I wrote a couple of books and made the covers and blurbs as attractive as I knew how to and then gave away book one on instafreebie for 2 months but it was key that I joined two targeted group giveaways for fans in similar genres and that shot my list from 100 to +1,000 very quickly.

I'm NOT saying the whole list is good because I'm seeing a solid amount of bounce and unsubscribe but we are certainly seeing better and better results.

I got a message from a reader today that said "Havenglade feels like a place from my dreams and the characters get better and better with each book".

This is mostly "prawn" successes but I'll take them!  :P

Thank you again. First of all, your covers are gorgeous! May I ask who did them (sorry to change the thread topic here)?

Giving book 1 away for 2 months was a great idea, one that maybe I'll use in the future, since I have nothing to give away at this point. I just put my books up for sale and put the preview version (a little less than the Look Inside 10%) up on Instafreebie. That's netted me 16 signups. Not exactly great guns. So I'm trying to figure out what to do next.

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 10:00:24 AM »
Thank you again. First of all, your covers are gorgeous! May I ask who did them (sorry to change the thread topic here)?

Giving book 1 away for 2 months was a great idea, one that maybe I'll use in the future, since I have nothing to give away at this point. I just put my books up for sale and put the preview version (a little less than the Look Inside 10%) up on Instafreebie. That's netted me 16 signups. Not exactly great guns. So I'm trying to figure out what to do next.

Kboards own Jeff Brown!

Yeah, I think giving away a book is pretty important. I don't know if giving away something they already get on Amazon (the look inside) is appealing in the face of tons of free books.

H.C. Harrington

Offline RTW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 10:18:38 AM »
Kboards own Jeff Brown!

Yeah, I think giving away a book is pretty important. I don't know if giving away something they already get on Amazon (the look inside) is appealing in the face of tons of free books.

Jeff Brown! I should've known. I love love love his work.

And I agree with you about the previews. The results --the nonresults--are right there.

I'm going to try it your way next time.

Offline Day Leitao

• View Profile
    • Author Sites
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 12:52:38 PM »

hoping for even more good results. ;D

Congrats on your list and sales!

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Virginia McClain's Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 01:09:09 PM »

Congrats! This is a heartening message indeed. Also, I just participated in a mailing list builder (won't get the results back until a few days from now) so I am eager to see how it helps!
Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs & Formatting