Author Topic: Anyone else thinking of attending GeekGirlCon 2018?  (Read 322 times)  

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Virginia McClain's Blog
Anyone else thinking of attending GeekGirlCon 2018?
« on: February 13, 2018, 03:24:44 PM »
So, if you haven't heard of GeekGirlCon (https://geekgirlcon.com) it sounds like my mecca. I just applied for an artist alley table in hopes of being able to show up and sell books. The table fee for artist alley is quite reasonable, and I have a friend in Seattle I could stay with, so even though it's pretty far away from me I think I can make it work for close to the same price as my local con (which is stupidly overpriced).

Of course, I would love to do (be on/organize) a panel or workshop while I'm there, but as I'm a nobody, I'm not expecting much in that area. Despite being nobody, I've been on panels at cons before and it's always enjoyable in addition to attracting extra readers.

In the meantime, I'm hoping all of my marketing efforts between now and October will skyrocket me into being someone they have heard of, but of course, I'm not holding my breath. ;-)

Anyway, I was just wondering if any other KBoarders have gone to GeekGirlCon in the past or are interested in/planning on going this year. If my application for an artist alley table is accepted I would be stoked to meet up with some of my fellow KBoards peeps. Also, I'm curious to hear how other people's experiences at GeekGirlCon have been.
Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs & Formatting

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
Re: Anyone else thinking of attending GeekGirlCon 2018?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 06:06:34 PM »
Looks like fun!  If you go, tell us all about it. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »
Looks like fun!  If you go, tell us all about it. :)

I will happily report back! :-)

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »
I have been twice!  Once working my sister's booth (who has been back three times) and then last year as an exhibitor myself.  It is a wonderful convention.  Supportive, safe, inclusive, and all about empowering girls.  In addition to the typical nerd stuff you find at cons, NOW, Girl Scouts, STEAM programs from various colleges, and a bunch of other great organizations are there.  They have celebrity guests, but they also bring in female scientists and astronauts and business leaders to lead panels.  Everyone is so nice and the vibe incredibly positive.  It has grown enormously in the past three years, and I'm so glad.  That said... last year there was a marked decline in sales that every vendor I spoke with experienced.  I don't think it was anything GG did, I just think that people are starting to tighten their wallets.  The other thing is that this year, their convention is happening the same weekend as two other major conventions (Steamposium and something else...) and there's some worries that attendance is going to take a hit.  Because my sister and I do these things to (hopefully) recoup our costs, we took a pass on exhibiting this year.  But that aside, it is a great experience and a wonderful way to connect with readers.

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 11:02:18 AM »
P.S.  And as a side note, even though we won't be exhibiting, we will both probably go just as guests because it is such a fun time.

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 01:07:37 PM »
P.S.  And as a side note, even though we won't be exhibiting, we will both probably go just as guests because it is such a fun time.

Yay! Well, I hope I get a table and thus get a chance to see you there. It sounds like a ton of fun, and I am going to submit for some panels and workshops too (particularly workshops) and see where that gets me. My local con (which runs the same weekend as GeekGirl) has also taken a steep dive lately in attendees spending money, so I'm hopeful that a new market (GeekGirl) with 5 books will be enough to cover my costs. Also, the GeekGirl table is cheaper even though my local con is smaller... :-/ but of course I'm also adding travel expenses.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac