Author Topic: Any Tips on Starting a Facebook Group?  (Read 292 times)  

Offline Jenny Schwartz

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My website
Any Tips on Starting a Facebook Group?
« on: February 13, 2018, 03:25:37 PM »
I'll be starting a Facebook group to support my book review page shortly, and I wondered if anyone had any tips. Things that worked in kicking off your FB group and in keeping it buzzing. Also, if there's anything I shouldn't do...

The original FB page is here https://www.facebook.com/AlwaysAnotherGreatBook/ It has a Kindle Unlimited focus.

Thanks, in advance.

Pre-order SPACE DEPUTY for July 12 - a rollicking space opera
Jenny Schwartz | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
Re: Any Tips on Starting a Facebook Group?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 05:35:43 PM »
I have a reader group and previously also co-ran a romance readers group with several authors. In my experience, there are two key components: consistency and novelty.

You want to make sure you post regularly, whether that's three times a day or three times a week. These can absolutely be scheduled posts; no one has time to hang out on Facebook all day. However, if you do schedule, you want to make sure you check in every so often to interact with people who comment. Speaking of comments, make sure that your posts encourage interaction of some sort. Don't just post at people -- engage with them!

Make sure your group offers something that your page doesn't. Readers don't need or want the same posts twice. What will your group offer them that is unique to your group and only for your readers? There are dozens of KU groups. What makes yours different? What will stop it from becoming a place that readers ignore because it's yet another promo group?

Recently I joined a bunch of sub-genre specific groups. I posted about my characters and reached out to readers, but no one saw it. Everyone is ignoring these groups because they can quickly clog up your feed. I recommend focusing on engagement from the very beginning. Find out what your members want, and keep giving it to them.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram | Amazon | Goodreads | Book+Main

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 06:02:58 PM »
I'll be starting a Facebook group to support my book review page shortly, and I wondered if anyone had any tips. Things that worked in kicking off your FB group and in keeping it buzzing. Also, if there's anything I shouldn't do...

The original FB page is here https://www.facebook.com/AlwaysAnotherGreatBook/ It has a Kindle Unlimited focus.

Thanks, in advance.

For me, it's focusing on the readers.  Getting them to talk to me and hopefully, each other.  It sometimes takes a while and if you have that with your page...you're way ahead of the curve. :)

There are so many promo groups, but it's more fun (I think) if authors engage the readers.  Whether it's just one author or a group, a conversation is always nicer than a billboard.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:16:32 PM by Lorri Moulton »

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline Jenny Schwartz

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 06:39:57 PM »
Thanks, Elizabeth and Lorri. Providing a friendly space for talking about KU books is going to take some thinking about - you've both helped remind me to put readers front and central.

Pre-order SPACE DEPUTY for July 12 - a rollicking space opera
Jenny Schwartz | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Norman Steele Taylor

• Kindle Publishers' Best Friend
    • View Profile
    • Get targeted promotions for your kindle book - starts at only $75
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 07:00:46 PM »
Judging from my experiences, the best approach would be to become credible and authoritative at SIMILAR FB pages and groups FIRST.

Once you become a BRAND, you then build your own page.

You are ESSENTIALLY building a 'HOME' for the brand you have ORGANICALLY created for yourself.

How do you become a brand?  Share content / share solutions / BECOME PART of the mix

WARNING: this takes time, effort, and attention to DETAILS