Author Topic: HomePod can damage wood furniture!  (Read 501 times)  

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
HomePod can damage wood furniture!
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:56:27 PM »
Im sure all us dedicated Amazon fans would never dream of abandoning our beloved Alexa for a Home Pod, but if you do, beware of the new way Apple has found to run rings around the competition!

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/14/homepod-leaves-white-rings-on-treated-wood/

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: HomePod can damage wood furniture!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 03:59:05 AM »
I'm not interested in these sorts of things at all, but all the reviews I've seen so far express EXTREME disappointment in the Home Pod. . . basically they say they expected the Fruit to take it a step beyond Amazon and Google and they feel like it barely is as good as Siri on a phone and certainly doesn't have the capabilites of either the Echo or Google's version.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 07:44:01 AM »
Ive read similar disappointment. And apparently the HomePod really locks you into Aoples ecosystem. I wont be getting one. Im too tied into Amazon music and such.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »
Apple is selling the HomePod as a premium compact speaker, not as an advance in home assistants. This has been their story from the start. Siri is at a disadvantage compared to Google Home and Alexa because almost all the interaction takes place on your device (for privacy issues). It isn't sending everything to a server that stores every piece of info about you to turn a profit on. So it is a bit limited in what you can do with it.

I think someone on the interweb has pointed out that the Google Assistant has a similar problem with wood, but of course that fails to get the publicity (if true). It would be nice if Apple started putting a warning label somewhere prominent, though.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:02:14 PM by Mike D. aka jmiked »
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.