Author Topic: Going wide [UPDATED: FIRST FOUR MONTHS]  (Read 3882 times)  

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
Going wide [UPDATED: FIRST FOUR MONTHS]
« on: February 18, 2018, 08:05:50 AM »
When I talked about my reasons for going wide (in this thread: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,260074.0.html) I promised I'd report back on how things were going. So here we go, a month in.

[UPDATED: the second month's numbers are at the bottom of this post]

Executive summary: it's been less painful than expected, technical issues have been few, revenue has only dropped from $21/day to $18.

Technicalities: I have 9 books plus a box set in the series that's going wide (my epic fantasies; the Regency romances will stay in KU a while longer). So far, I've uploaded the first 7 in the series. Kobo is painless, D2D almost so, although I had to adjust my formatting slightly. For anyone who uploads epubs, it would be effortless, I imagine, but I upload Word docx versions. GooglePlay's interface is amusingly retro but I got there in the end, although I had to use the chat feature to get help with finding the W-8BEN tax form. The only hiccup was Apple, but one soon learns to remove all references to Amazon. I already have my links pointing to my website, so I didn't have to change those. I still haven't attempted Smashwords, and at this point I've got four different retailers/aggregators to deal with, including Amazon, and it feels like enough.

Pricing: I already knew I had to price higher than usual on GooglePay to avoid the discount triggering Amazon's price-matching bots. I set book 1 free everywhere else and Amazon price-matched without a murmur, so my perma-free is now up and running. This part was easy.

Promo: I paid a few quid for a Kobo free promo on book 1, which shifted a few free copies but no actual sales. I had a Freebooksy on book 1, which shifted 1K+ free books (excellent for a book that's already shifted more than 10K free copies) and got me a few sales on the rest of the series. I've got more promo coming on ENT, RobinReads and BookBarbarian, all of which allow for links to non-Amazon sites. I've got Facebook ads for book 1 running using the D2D-generated links, set up individually for US/CA/UK/AU audiences, but only the US one is consistently productive at a reasonable cost per click.

Bookbub: epic failure to date, despite being wide. They've accepted my Regency box set (which is in KU) but not the fantasies, although, frustratingly, they held on to one of them for a nerve-wracking 5 days before rejecting it. Ah well.

Sales: Kobo: 3; Apple: 2; B&N: 1; Amazon: 115 (around 4/day, which is much the same as before). There was a bump in Amazon sales for the first couple of weeks, possibly because people working methodically through the series via KU were forced to buy, but that's dropped off now.

Revenue: The low point before the last release in mid-December was around $21/day, 83% of it from KU. Since dropping out of KU, revenue from all sites, plus residual KU income, is $18 per day. That residual KU revenue has a long tail; it's still at 30% of overall Amazon revenue.

The second month

The revenue from KU has all but dropped away to nothing now, so daily revenue hit rock bottom levels of around $13 per day in late February, six weeks after going wide. However, I had an ENT on the permafree first in series on 4th March, and since then sales have picked up noticeably at all retailers, and revenue has inched upwards to $16 per day.

Sales to date in 2 months: Kobo 7; D2D (Apple/B&N) 12; GooglePlay 0; Amazon: 223 (still around 4/day, as before)

I have promotions coming up in April with RobinReads and BookBarbarian, and I still have two more books to upload wide, after which I shall start another round of Bookbub submissions. One can but hope.

So far, it hasn't been as disastrous as I'd feared, but it hasn't done as well as I'd hoped, either. The permafree first in series is definitely working - I've had several days when I've sold one of every other book in the series to someone who obviously read book 1, and that's lovely to see. Of course, if sales were higher I wouldn't see that at all, so there's that.

The third month

So KU revenue is just about gone now - I've made $5 this month lol. I've had 68K pages read credited since I went wide, so not insignificant. I've now had promotions on the first-in-series permafree at Kobo, FreeBooksy, ENT, RobinReads and BookBarbarian, with another possible Kobo promotion later this month. Total free downloads: 5K. Still no joy with Bookbub, sadly. :-(

Sales to date after 3 months: Kobo: 18; Apple: 5; B&N: 9; Amazon 284

Wide + Amazon income from sales is holding steady at about $16 per day, and the monthly average is now at or above the income from sales on last year's low months, those without a new release or a major promotional push. However, sales income wide doesn't come close to replacing the KU income yet, even allowing for the steady decline I would have seen since the last new release in December. And I've spent $850 on promotions of one sort or another, including as-much-as-you-can-spend FB ads. I've reduced all that to one low-cost AMS ad, but I'm a long way from breaking even. That's OK, I'm playing a long game. I plan to stay wide at least until the end of the year, barring seismic shifts in KU-dom.

After this month, I may try setting the permafree to $2.99 for a while (the others are $4.99) and seeing what some more focused ads can do. I'm also reading through Patty Jansen's Unboxed books for ideas that don't make my head explode.

The fourth month

Things went downhill fast at Amazon this month. My last promo (RobinReads) was mid-April, and now there's only a low-cost AMS ad on the permafree to prop things up. Still, it's only 9c a click, running at under $1 a day, so I'll leave it for now. Total sales on Amazon this year: 429 (Jan 136, Feb 78, Mar 123, Apr 70, May 22 to date).

Kobo sales, on the other hand, are on the up, following an editor's pick promo last month. Total sales this year: 49 (Jan 0, Feb 3, Mar 8, Apr 12, May 26 to date). A nice upward trend.

D2D sales (B&N and Apple) are pretty low, and most of them are accounted for by one B&N customer and one Apple customer each buying the whole series. Total sales this year: 27 (Jan 0, Feb 6, Mar 6, Apr 5, May 10 so far).

GooglePlay... hahahahaha! 146 downloads of the permafree, not troubling the scorer on the sales front. One day... ;D

So, not a great month, but hey, things can only get better, right? I'm reluctant to throw good money at promos that are (frankly) not very effective. I'll keep the low-cost AMS ad, and the Kobo promos are very cheap and cost-effective. I'll keep harassing Bookbub. Next month I'll start writing the 10th and final book in the series, which will go wide from the start. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:32:08 AM by PaulineMRoss »

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 60; SUCCESS!; rejections: 8 and counting...

Online Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Going wide - the first month
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
Good luck and hopes it works out for you.

Offline Day Leitao

• View Profile
    • Author Sites
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
Thanks for posting your experience!

I hope things only get better and better from now on.

Offline Fleurina

• West Coast of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:52:19 AM »
Hello, Pauline,
An interesting post, and helpful. Thanks. I went wide with my first novel, released in November. A week later I decided to give KU a try. The results have been less than disappointing, apart from hundreds of downloads for the free days.  I've been itching for the KU terms to end and plan to go wide via D2D from later this week.
I hope it all goes wonderfully for you.
Kick Anxiety & Live in the Now: 80%

Haunted Scottish Castle - Izzie Firecracker 3: 10%
Janet Butler Male | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Virginia McClain's Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:15:41 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Pauline! I am just waiting for my latest select terms to expire in May before I go wide with my first two books, and I plan to release my next trilogy wide in October so I find this very informative. Please keep us updated! I hope Bookbub sees the light and runs your wide books soon. :-)
Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs & Formatting

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 09:25:52 AM »
Thanks Pauline for the information and your candor in sharing information. Now if one or two of the big indie success stories could give us some insights too. Please?

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »
Some quick things about Google - it doesn't look like you've got the series name set on the metadata pages of your Brightmoon books. Google does do series pages which make it easier for readers to quickly identify all the books in the series, so make sure you fill that out. Also, they index your blurb for their search, so you might want to work in some extra keywords there to make your books easier to find. It also looks like you only set one category for your books - epic fantasy.  You can set multiple categories under both BISAC and BIC to help readers who are browsing find your books, so if other cats fit add them.

Did you go direct to B&N, or did you go through D2D? My experience has been that books published direct seem to do better for some reason. I'm not sure if that's just me, and I have no idea why.

Good luck, and be patient! It takes a while to really get rolling. Hopefully Apple will promote your series since the first book is free. They randomly do that with mine from time to time and it can give you a *BIG* boost in sales.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline Simply_J

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 09:36:25 AM »
Pauline, it sounds good for the coming months. Permafree works great wide, and readers are more kind and generous on Google than on Amazon, when it's time for their reviews.

Thank you for sharing your process and your results.

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 09:42:50 AM »
Far from the disaster that wide is typically presented as :) And once your bookbub drops you're off to the races.

Zon will typically always be your best seller regardless, but it's far nicer getting 70% royalties on $5.99 than whatever KU payouts are. And you get the peace of mind (assuming it matters) of not participating in the margin crushing nature of KU.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 09:53:11 AM »
Some quick things about Google - it doesn't look like you've got the series name set on the metadata pages of your Brightmoon books. Google does do series pages which make it easier for readers to quickly identify all the books in the series, so make sure you fill that out. Also, they index your blurb for their search, so you might want to work in some extra keywords there to make your books easier to find. It also looks like you only set one category for your books - epic fantasy.  You can set multiple categories under both BISAC and BIC to help readers who are browsing find your books, so if other cats fit add them.

Thank you! This is really helpful information. I do have the series name set, but I've inadvertantly got two book 1's lol! Thanks for pointing that out. It's on my todo list to add keywords to the blurb (it's a long todo list, in my defence).

Did you go direct to B&N, or did you go through D2D? My experience has been that books published direct seem to do better for some reason. I'm not sure if that's just me, and I have no idea why.

I'm using D2D for B&N and Apple in the interests of preserving my sanity by having as few places as possible to deal with. I realise there's a downside to that, but at the moment I'm comfortable with that.

Good luck, and be patient! It takes a while to really get rolling. Hopefully Apple will promote your series since the first book is free. They randomly do that with mine from time to time and it can give you a *BIG* boost in sales.

Thanks. I'm going to give it a year and then review. I know it'll take time.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 09:56:52 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Pauline! I am just waiting for my latest select terms to expire in May before I go wide with my first two books,

I've been itching for the KU terms to end and plan to go wide via D2D from later this week.

You don't have to wait! Once one book of a series has dropped out of Select, email KDP customer support, point out the poor customer experience of having a series partly in and partly out, and ask politely to have the rest taken out. They did mine within 24 hours, and were very nice about it, no finger-wagging or just-this-once or anything.

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 10:29:41 AM »
Thanks, Pauline.  I always enjoy your very candid posts.

Weirdly, after being almost exclusively wide I am doing a 3-month KU launch with my latest co-written novella. Of course, I'm also labeling it "The Book We Did Everything Wrong With" (maybe The Learning Experiment would sound better). I wasn't sure how to launch something we gave away as a bonus to most of our core readers, so we're basically just tossing it out there with minimal promo. I'll have to look back, didn't you do a no-promo launch at some point?

Offline S. C.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »

Bookbub: epic failure to date, despite being wide. They've accepted my Regency box set (which is in KU) but not the fantasies, although, frustratingly, they held on to one of them for a nerve-wracking 5 days before rejecting it. Ah well.

The Bookbub time to reject is actually good news. Five days means that they were seriously considering your book. They liked it. It was probably just a matter of the competition for slots in that specific time period. Keep submitting!

Translate Your Books! Earn More and Find New Markets.
S. C. Scott | Facebook

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »
I'll have to look back, didn't you do a no-promo launch at some point?

Yes, it was a total disaster.  :D I abandoned it after a week or so, and set up some AMS ads, which had just started, and it did great after that.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »
Thanks for the info, Pauline.  :)

Just out of curiosity, what was the per-retailer breakdown of that Freebooksy ad's 1000+ downloads?  I would guess most downloads came via Amazon, but I'm curious about the numbers at the other places, too.
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 12:34:46 PM »
Has working the logistics of more retailers/distributors impacted your productivity on new books and projects?

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 12:44:53 PM »
Thanks for the info, Pauline.  :)

Just out of curiosity, what was the per-retailer breakdown of that Freebooksy ad's 1000+ downloads?  I would guess most downloads came via Amazon, but I'm curious about the numbers at the other places, too.

Actually, that number was just the Amazon downloads, and if I include the bump on the two following days, it was over 1500. I've also had 450 free downloads on Kobo, 200 on D2D (Apple, B&N and others) and a handful on GooglePlay, but I can't tell how many were due to Freebooksy. I had a separate promo on Kobo, so some of those downloads are from that. I haven't worked out how to see daily downloads on the other sites, or even if it's possible.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 12:47:15 PM »
Has working the logistics of more retailers/distributors impacted your productivity on new books and projects?

Not really, because I've always had writing time and marketing/editing/other stuff time. I'm taking things slowly at the moment, uploading one book, then making sure that everything's OK, updating the website to match, etc.

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 12:56:07 PM »
Yes, it was a total disaster.  :D I abandoned it after a week or so, and set up some AMS ads, which had just started, and it did great after that.

:o  Eeep! Have to admit I'm spending today setting up at least a few AMS ads before release tomorrow, we have a few blogger reviews, and one genre-specific email blast going out. Overall spend is almost nothing, though.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 01:53:43 PM »
Actually, that number was just the Amazon downloads, and if I include the bump on the two following days, it was over 1500. I've also had 450 free downloads on Kobo, 200 on D2D (Apple, B&N and others) and a handful on GooglePlay, but I can't tell how many were due to Freebooksy. I had a separate promo on Kobo, so some of those downloads are from that. I haven't worked out how to see daily downloads on the other sites, or even if it's possible.

Thanks for the reply.  :)
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 03:36:47 PM »
I dont mean to interrupt your thread, but the breakdown of numbers between platforms is useful so Ill add mine to the information mix.

A recent BookBub at 99c did the following over roughly 2 weeks:

Amazon 4,450
Nook 1,000
Apple 700
Google 350
TOTAL 6,500

31.5% of sales were from platforms other than Amazon. Im just loading to kobo and scribd now.

Ive been wide since January 2017 and other than the BookBub in Q1, when I also used ENT, Booksends and a few others, I only used FB advertizing in 2017. This year I trialled running platform specific ads on FB and they worked quite well. I havent tried BookBub CPC ads yet, but I might give them a whirl for kobo.

PS. I should have mentioned those numbers are a mix of discount and full price sales. Post the sale period the full price split has been more like 40 - 60% from the other platforms versus Amazon. It seems the readers on other platforms are happy to pay more. That could be a byproduct of less books or maybe its because they dont have KU. I dont know, but its an interesting point to note.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:44:38 PM by TwistedTales »

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 03:51:50 PM »
I dont mean to interrupt your thread, but the breakdown of numbers between platforms is useful so Ill add mine to the information mix.

This is interesting stuff - thanks. And if anyone else wants to chip in numbers, please feel free.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 03:55:34 PM »
This is interesting stuff - thanks. And if anyone else wants to chip in numbers, please feel free.

Ive never tried a freebie run and sometimes I wonder whether its worth a trial, so your numbers from the other platforms is helpful to know.

Like you, Im interested to hear anyone elses numbers as well, even if theyre only expressed as a percentage.

Online tknite

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Knite Writes
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 04:39:40 PM »
Some quick things about Google - it doesn't look like you've got the series name set on the metadata pages of your Brightmoon books. Google does do series pages which make it easier for readers to quickly identify all the books in the series, so make sure you fill that out.

Thank you! This is really helpful information. I do have the series name set, but I've inadvertantly got two book 1's lol! Thanks for pointing that out. It's on my todo list to add keywords to the blurb (it's a long todo list, in my defence).

Just a quick FYI, Google Play's series pages are still in beta, so even if you correctly fill out the series metadata, odds are you won't get a series page yet. According to the rep who emailed me back the other day, the pages will eventually be rolled out to everyone. So you should fill out the metadata now, but don't expect a series page to automatically pop up. Knowing GP, it could be quite some time before the functionality becomes available to everybody.
Therin Knite | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads | newsletter
Authors! I offer book formatting at Knite & Day Design!
And be sure to ask me about my editing/proofreading services, too!

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 06:38:03 PM »

Would love to but all my books are on Amazon, including KU. In addition, it has been only five months,more or less, since I first published. All I have are newbie figures.

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 07:09:57 PM »
Of my non-KU books, about 1/3 of my sales come from Google Play, slightly less than 1/3 from Amazon, and the rest is split between Apple/B&N/Kobo. I make enough for gas money on Smashwords and Createspace, and essentially nothing on Scribd or the other smaller sites. I rarely even bother uploading to those anymore. Usually my B&N:iTunes:Kobo sales run about 4:2:1.

I have no clue on how to move any kind of serious numbers on Kobo these days. When they first started Writing Life I was clearing 4 figures a month with them and sales were neck and neck with Google Play. Now I'm making a fraction of that and the numbers slip a little every month. Their in-house promos might help, but I have yet to hear anyone claim to have moved any real volume that way. Usually it's low double digits, which while better than nothing is nowhere close to the kind of volume I know from experience that it's possible to achieve there. The other stores have their little quirks, but on Kobo it's very hard not to be invisible.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 07:17:18 PM »

have yet to hear anyone claim to have moved any real volume that way

$1400 last month. Unless that's not "real volume".

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 07:22:23 PM »

$1400 last month. Unless that's not "real volume".
No, that's definitely real volume on Kobo. But you're the *only* person I've heard that from. I don't suppose you'd care to share your secret formula...  ;D

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 07:25:49 PM »
No, that's definitely real volume on Kobo. But you're the *only* person I've heard that from. I don't suppose you'd care to share your secret formula...  ;D

Nope, there are others, but they don't come to KB because it's all KU KU KU KU so it can feel hostile at times. But I do know of others.

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 07:31:26 PM »
Nope, there are others, but they don't come to KB because it's all KU KU KU KU so it can feel hostile at times. But I do know of others.
Well, that would explain it. I know that it's possible, but I have no clue how you're doing it. You have my admiration, though. I'd give an arm - well, a couple of toes - to hit those kinds of numbers again there.

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 07:44:23 PM »

Just over $6k is about to land in my bank account from Kobo. It's my equal smallest retailer (with Google Play) by a long shot but I'll take it. My income has slowly increased at Kobo over the years, but it takes time. There's no secret sauce, just keep plugging away and sometimes something sticks, just like sometimes a book sticks at Amazon, iBooks etc. I don't know why. I find their inhouse promos help books that are already doing well there which makes sense - the more popular the book is, the more visible it will be in their emails or promo pages because the kobo folks already know it's a safe bet. Bookbubs help too.

Good luck with the your wide journey, Pauline.

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Online kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 08:06:34 PM »

To succeed with Kobo all of your books have to be aboot Canadian stuff. So, write novels with lots of maple syrup, polar bears, hockey and self-righteousness, eh?  8)

Ken Ward

Online It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 10:45:06 PM »
So here are the numbers on my one and only release since the 28th of January. I suspect I'm a bit of an outlier here as things seem to have picked up pretty quickly for me, but I'd like my wide percentage to be higher.

The breakdown is:

Amazon:
220 sales
77.2% of total

iBooks:
37 sales
13% of total

Kobo:
17 sales
6% of total

Nook:
9 sales
3.2 of total

Google:
2 sales
0.7% of total

I've also built a mailing list of 800 odd in this time on Instafreebie, not sure how long I'll continue this...

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
Re: Going wide [UPDATED: FIRST TWO MONTHS]
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2018, 04:11:07 PM »
Here's an update on my experiment in going wide. I took my 9-book fantasy series wide in mid-January, so here's how it's gone in the first two months:

The revenue from KU has all but dropped away to nothing now, so daily revenue hit rock bottom levels of around $13 per day in late February, six weeks after going wide (it was $21/day at the previous low point). However, I had an ENT on the permafree first in series on 4th March, and since then sales have picked up noticeably at all retailers, and revenue has inched upwards to $16 per day. Still no Bookbub on this series, sadly.

Sales to date in 2 months: Kobo 7; D2D (Apple/B&N) 12; GooglePlay 0; Amazon: 223 (still around 4/day, as before)

I have promotions coming up in April with RobinReads and BookBarbarian, and I still have two more books to upload wide, after which I shall start another round of Bookbub submissions. One can but hope.

So far, it hasn't been as disastrous as I'd feared, but it hasn't done as well as I'd hoped, either. The permafree first in series is definitely working - I've had several days when I've sold one of every other book in the series to someone who obviously read book 1, and that's lovely to see. Of course, if sales were higher I wouldn't see that at all, so there's that.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2018, 04:52:14 PM »
@pauline, thanks for the update. If you sell 224 on Amazon, then you should be doing better on the other platforms. It sounds like a visibility problem to me. Im using FB click ads that target specific platforms and only include the link for that platform. It does work, but I wasnt happy with the cost for Kobo (it came out at breakeven). My next step is to try the BookBub CPC ads, but I need to get three more books out for the series I intend to use for the trial. iBooks and Nook are doing very well for me, so theyre fine. The ones Im still trying to get moving are Kobo and Scribd. Google is always a bit patchy for me, but I dont think its a visibly problem its had two BookBubs and still doesnt perform that well so Im not pushing it for now.

Maybe trying some ads that target specific platforms. Its definitely worked for me.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2018, 12:40:27 AM »
Maybe trying some ads that target specific platforms. Its definitely worked for me.

Yes, that's a good idea, although I find FB ads just eat money. I dabbled with FB ads when the first in series went permafree, but they just ate money, so I more or less abandoned it. I'll have another look at it. Thanks.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2018, 01:30:55 AM »
Yes, that's a good idea, although I find FB ads just eat money. I dabbled with FB ads when the first in series went permafree, but they just ate money, so I more or less abandoned it. I'll have another look at it. Thanks.

I found when I narrowed ads down to a specific platform, like say kobo, the clicks were a lot cheaper. For a major push I set up a different ad for every other site except Amazon, which I relied on the eshot type promoters to cover and they did. That worked well because the specific ads targeting iBooks and nook and the others were cheaper than they would have been had I been targeting Amazon. The trick is to make the ad exclusive to the platform so it doesnt pick up just any old account with ebooks/subjects as an interest.

Im still playing around with the various ways to mix it up. Another cheap trick I learned was using twitter. Ive never found it great for selling on Amazon, but the hashtags for the other platforms arent as heavily used. I got some activity from that, admittedly probably not a huge amount, but free is free, eh.

A big upside of the other platforms is the ad space is definitely cheaper. From what Ive read BookBub CPC ads are as well. The other thing Im finding is there is less compete on those sites so, once you get the ball rolling, it rolls for longer and without any targeted marketing. My FB ads are now moving to driving the brand and not a specific site, which means theyll direct the buyer to my website with all the links. Ill only use targeted ads for specific marketing drives, like a new release, discount or to lift presence on a specific platform.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:33:58 AM by TwistedTales »

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2018, 03:45:39 AM »
I found when I narrowed ads down to a specific platform, like say kobo, the clicks were a lot cheaper. {Snip}

Wow, some good advice there - thanks. I'll give it a go.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2018, 03:49:04 AM »

I've done this. It works quite well but I found I got quite a few comments along the lines of "Why isn't this available on Amazon?" if I directed an ad to eg Kobo or iBooks.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2018, 03:53:03 AM »
I've done this. It works quite well but I found I got quite a few comments along the lines of "Why isn't this available on Amazon?" if I directed an ad to eg Kobo or iBooks.

LOL! You just can't win, can you?

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2018, 04:14:40 AM »

I get around that by stating somewhere in the text  available on iBooks, nook, ....

That said, FB see any engagement as good and it helps give your ads and ad account a higher rating, which makes the clicks cheaper, so its a win-win either way.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2018, 04:19:36 AM »

Best of luck with it. There are a lot more ways to play out the marketing once youre wide. You just need to get creative, which technically is the one thing we writers are supposed to be good at.  :P

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
Re: Going wide [UPDATED: FIRST THREE MONTHS]
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2018, 03:53:45 AM »
A three-month update:

So KU revenue is just about gone now - I've made $5 this month lol. I've had 68K pages read credited since I went wide, so not insignificant. I've now had promotions on the first-in-series permafree at Kobo, FreeBooksy, ENT, RobinReads and BookBarbarian, with another possible Kobo promotion later this month. Total free downloads: 5K. Still no joy with Bookbub, sadly. :-(

Sales to date after 3 months: Kobo: 18; Apple: 5; B&N: 9; Amazon 284

Wide + Amazon income from sales is holding steady at about $16 per day, and the monthly average is now at or above the income from sales on last year's low months, those without a new release or a major promotional push. However, sales income wide doesn't come close to replacing the KU income yet, even allowing for the steady decline I would have seen since the last new release in December. And I've spent $850 on promotions of one sort or another, including as-much-as-you-can-spend FB ads. I've reduced all that to one low-cost AMS ad, but I'm a long way from breaking even. That's OK, I'm playing a long game. I plan to stay wide at least until the end of the year, barring seismic shifts in KU-dom.

After this month, I may try setting the permafree to $2.99 for a while (the others are $4.99) and seeing what some more focused ads can do. I'm also reading through Patty Jansen's Unboxed books for ideas that don't make my head explode.

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2018, 04:59:27 AM »
I only have one book wide, just to test the waters, the rest are in KU. That said, I think any author looking to make a long-term living out of writing needs to consider going wide at some point, and not have all eggs in one basket, so to speak, particularly with all the shenanigans with KU recently. So I keep my ear out for any 'wide' marketing tips.

Here are a few marketing snippets I've picked up along the way. I've not tried any of these so bear that in mind. BookBub's preference for wide books means that their reader base is also wide. So using BookBub's ad platform might be a better spend than FB. (Not the featured deal). I heard this from Adam Croft on Mark Dawson's Ads for authors, and to me, it makes marketing sense. That said I haven't tried it.
I also heard on Joanna Penn's podcast that boxsets do very well on kobo, I think it's the one with Toby Neal.

Like I said, I haven't tried any of these.

Gerald M. Kilby | Website | Facebook | FREE Book Promotion

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2018, 06:02:16 AM »
Thanks for the update, Pauline. FWIW, and please feel free to ignore me, but Id look at a few tactics to get you in motion.

Your covers are beautiful, but might not draw the eye. Rather than change the covers, because they are visually stunning in detail, I would use a different set of images for my ad cards.

FB has its place and it works for what Im doing right now, but in your situation Id be looking at BookBub CPC ads. Theyre good for discounted books and their readers are on multi platforms, plus the clicks are quite cheap for the other platforms compared to Amazon. I plan to use BookBub CPC for my next discount run.

Bundling works well for wide and you dont have to list the bundle on Amazon (that avoids cannibalizing sales of your Amazon singles with a discounted set). If it were me, I would set up a three book bundle on all sites other than Amazon, set pricing at 99c, tell everyone itll be that price for say ten days, run various ads. In terms of the ad images, I would use something other than the covers.

Something like that should get you started on the other platforms. You can worry about Amazon later once you have some movement on the other platforms. If youve used a box set thats only available on the other platforms, then you dont have to consider anything about Amazon for the campaign. You can even consider taking down the box set later if you dont want to make it available all the time. It can be the marketing set you use to get your name out there, rather than something thats part of your regular catalog, sort of like a special edition.

Anyway, just some ideas and, given you plan to stay out for a year, might as well give a good shot.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2018, 07:23:40 AM »
Here are a few marketing snippets I've picked up along the way.

Anyway, just some ideas and, given you plan to stay out for a year, might as well give a good shot.

Thank you both for the helpful tips. Yes, I plan to try Bookbub ads, but my brain is already overloaded dealing with AMS ads and FB ads, and preventing my head from exploding is a major consideration.  :D I've already discovered from FB ads that non-cover images are more effective, though. I use either FB's own stock image selection, or a very cut down portion of the cover. I already have a box set, but I hadn't (yet) thought about a promotion campaign for it. Lots of things still to try.

Online Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2018, 07:39:13 AM »
I found when I narrowed ads down to a specific platform, like say kobo, the clicks were a lot cheaper.

I found the exact opposite - specifically with Kobo as a keyword. I thought it was perhaps because Kobo readers are less price sensitive, and therefore better off and more expensive to target for anything. I wonder whose results are the anomaly?

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2018, 08:37:33 AM »
I found the exact opposite - specifically with Kobo as a keyword. I thought it was perhaps because Kobo readers are less price sensitive, and therefore better off and more expensive to target for anything. I wonder whose results are the anomaly?

Id have to check the numbers, but if memory serves I pay around 25 - 30 per click for a mixed platform ad on FB that includes Amazon and half that for kobo only, so to me thats a cheaper. However, my conversion was poor, so I quit that tactic while I try and sort out why. Not sure if its ad copy, market, targeting for the kobo audience or what. Itll take a few attempts to keep testing. Its the nature of being wide. No one can tell you exactly whatll work for you so you have to test it for yourself.

Offline Secret Pen Pal

• This is going to be fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2018, 01:33:47 PM »
Thanks for your report. I'm always glad to see threads on going wide. It's been a slow build, but my earnings are growing. Releases help, but it seems random. One release will trigger a few sales on other books on a couple of other stores, another will do nothing.

It's my favorite strategy. Get the next book out.

FWIW, it took me months to make more than $120 in a single month on the other stores combined. This year, after a long lull following the move off Pronoun, my sales on iBooks and B&N improved organically. I sell a few books a month on Kobo, but it's disappointing. I haven't done any ad campaigns. I have good sell through on a series with a perma-free. Bundles move, and standalones are weakest. It's tiny and slow growth compared to Amazon, and thanks to everyone who has shared their progress, I know it will be worth it.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »
It's tiny and slow growth compared to Amazon, and thanks to everyone who has shared their progress, I know it will be worth it.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Offline Secret Pen Pal

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2018, 03:54:54 PM »
You're welcome. I've enjoyed your posts for a long time. Thanks for sharing the promos you've used.

The first few months going wide, I sometimes wondered if I was wasting my time. Because I read many reports that the growth is slow on other stores, I stuck with it. Last month, readers found me post-Pronoun on B&N and ibook, and I made $35 via D2D.

This month, downloads of my perma-free on those two stores more than doubled, and my sales have already passed $35. On one release day, I made more than $20 across my main wide stores in one evening. I haven't managed to duplicate that result yet. Once you're established on the other stores, the prospects for ongoing sales are good. This is a tortoise route. Like you, I'm building for the long haul.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:09:20 PM by Secret Pen Pal »

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
Re: Going wide [UPDATED: FIRST FOUR MONTHS]
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2018, 08:32:31 AM »
The fourth month

Things went downhill fast at Amazon this month. My last promo (RobinReads) was mid-April, and now there's only a low-cost AMS ad on the permafree to prop things up. Still, it's only 9c a click, running at under $1 a day, so I'll leave it for now. Total sales on Amazon this year: 429 (Jan 136, Feb 78, Mar 123, Apr 70, May 22 to date).

Kobo sales, on the other hand, are on the up, following an editor's pick promo last month. Total sales this year: 49 (Jan 0, Feb 3, Mar 8, Apr 12, May 26 to date). A nice upward trend.

D2D sales (B&N and Apple) are pretty low, and most of them are accounted for by one B&N customer and one Apple customer each buying the whole series. Total sales this year: 27 (Jan 0, Feb 6, Mar 6, Apr 5, May 10 so far).

GooglePlay... hahahahaha! 146 downloads of the permafree, not troubling the scorer on the sales front. One day... ;D

So, not a great month, but hey, things can only get better, right? I'm reluctant to throw good money at promos that are (frankly) not very effective. I'll keep the low-cost AMS ad, and the Kobo promos are very cheap and cost-effective. I'll keep harassing Bookbub. Next month I'll start writing the 10th and final book in the series, which will go wide from the start. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2018, 09:07:37 AM »
Thanks for sharing your numbers, Pauline. Given the page-read stripping thing, it's really helpful to see a range of what it looks like to go wide right now. Fingers crossed you get a Bookbub!

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Virginia McClain's Blog
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »
The fourth month

Thank you for the update, Pauline! Here's hoping that BookBub finally makes the right choice (because selecting your books is CLEARLY the right choice) for your wide series, and that will open the sales floodgates wide. (Do I get bonus points for using wide more than necessary?)
Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs & Formatting

Online kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »
I appreciate you sharing your stats, Pauline. I'm planning on going wide with my next series, so you've provided some much needed inspiration. Hope a Bookbub comes your way soon.  :)

Ken Ward

Offline Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2018, 11:32:47 AM »

I have no clue on how to move any kind of serious numbers on Kobo these days. When they first started Writing Life I was clearing 4 figures a month with them and sales were neck and neck with Google Play. Now I'm making a fraction of that and the numbers slip a little every month. Their in-house promos might help, but I have yet to hear anyone claim to have moved any real volume that way. Usually it's low double digits, which while better than nothing is nowhere close to the kind of volume I know from experience that it's possible to achieve there. The other stores have their little quirks, but on Kobo it's very hard not to be invisible.

Same problem here. I was making great money on Kobo until that romance wipe-out thing happened, and getting those numbers back has been impossible. However, it might be too soon to raise your price from permafree to paid. On Kobo, my permafree books have finally started to pick up (570 downloads in May so far) even without any promos. For me at Kobo, that's a landslide. Marti

Marti Talbott's Books   www.martitalbott.com

Offline BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2018, 11:40:08 AM »
At the risk of overstepping my boundaries, how are you supporting yourself considering the dip in royalties, Pauline?
Have you a job other than publishing or did you save up in advance? As someone who will probably start in KU and then move Wide when I have a bigger backlist, I'm curious as to the planning that went into this decision. :D

P.S. Feel free to boop me on the nose if I'm being too nosy.

Offline Secret Pen Pal

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2018, 01:02:46 PM »
Good progress! I'm cheering for you.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2018, 01:07:15 PM »
Still rooting for you, Pauline.  Good luck!

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »
At the risk of overstepping my boundaries, how are you supporting yourself considering the dip in royalties, Pauline?
Have you a job other than publishing or did you save up in advance? As someone who will probably start in KU and then move Wide when I have a bigger backlist, I'm curious as to the planning that went into this decision. :D
P.S. Feel free to boop me on the nose if I'm being too nosy.

LOL, no, I'm not one of those who gets offended by money questions.

I don't have another job. I'm in the happy position of having enough money coming in from various sources to cover my daily expenses, so the book money is jam, basically. That's partly why I can afford to go wide and not worry too much if it doesn't work out. It would be much, much scarier if I depended on royalties to pay the mortgage.

Planning? What's that?