Kindle Forum banner

Draft2Digital Front Matter/End Matter?

819 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Amyshojai 
#1 ·
For those who use D2D, do you use the feature to upload your front matter and end matter separately? Last time I just fed it my full Word doc, and it made kind of a mess out of those. I'll probably use Calibre to generate an epub next time (if I use the Joel Friedlander templates again) to prevent any changes, but some of D2D's stylized templates are pretty nice, so I might avoid the cost and go that way instead. Either way, do the front/end matter separately? Does that come out okay?

#3 ·
I did it as one Word docs and yes, it made a mess out of my books too but I cleaned them each up via trial and error. (Five hard returns equal a page break; five *****equal a section break.) For the back matter, it was important to remember that anything that was centered or in bold could trigger wonkiness. Also, and I don't know why, my clickable chapters always triggered wonkiness. I had to remove the hyperlinks, get the whole doc formatted the way I wanted it, and then, the very last thing, put the clickable chapters hyperlinks back in. It was a lot of work, but I used D2D's templates and the books do look pretty good. I only used D2D for iBooks; been up about  a week, no promos, have sold 4 books.

If you want to see how doing it all in one, cleaned up, looked like, look at the Look Inside feature on the book second to the left below, that's from D2D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.