NetGalley

Author Topic: kindle x-ray  (Read 458 times)  

Offline gardnuk

• View Profile
kindle x-ray
« on: February 21, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »
Anyone here use it? I wrote Support and am even more confused by their in-depth answer.

Will it alter the appearance of my book? Silly question, I know---but I still ask.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
Re: kindle x-ray
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 03:36:03 PM »
I thought about writing a test book just to see what this does exactly and if I could even implement it easily. But, I haven't made time for that yet. It's rather low on my priority list.

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 04:08:03 PM »
i have not a clue what the hell it is.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 04:12:57 PM »

Offline APeter

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 04:28:50 PM »
Here's another thread on this subject, at least I believe it's discussing the same subject.

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,261019.0.html?PHPSESSID=2664a5a0d1c760f2c3d0da1ef65ff5bb

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 04:34:14 PM »
Anyone here use it? I wrote Support and am even more confused by their in-depth answer.

Will it alter the appearance of my book? Silly question, I know---but I still ask.
If you search for Amazon Kindle x-ray on the internet, you can find pictures of what it looks like. When a reader long clicks a word, x-ray will pop up a small window with the definition and a bar map of occurrences in the book. (|||  |   | || |||) If there is a wiki article associated with it, they can read the info from the wiki, otherwise the author can enter customized definitions for characters and terms in the story and the reader will read those.)

On the author end, you click the ... button in the KDP dashboard and choose to add x-ray. After a few hour wait, you can go back to the ... button and should see an editing tool. You use that to browse the list KDP generated for you, and review them, add definitions, and choose to publish or exclude. You can also add new terms.

Offline C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 05:06:00 PM »
On the author end, you click the ... button in the KDP dashboard and choose to add x-ray. After a few hour wait, you can go back to the ... button and should see an editing tool. You use that to browse the list KDP generated for you, and review them, add definitions, and choose to publish or exclude. You can also add new terms.

This would actually be awesome for my superhero setting. My books include a bazillion characters and some events of note that are only mentioned once. Readers tend to lose track of both.  :P

I need to look into this editing tool!

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline gardnuk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 08:32:15 PM »
If you search for Amazon Kindle x-ray on the internet, you can find pictures of what it looks like. When a reader long clicks a word, x-ray will pop up a small window with the definition and a bar map of occurrences in the book. (|||  |   | || |||) If there is a wiki article associated with it, they can read the info from the wiki, otherwise the author can enter customized definitions for characters and terms in the story and the reader will read those.)

They should have you explain things at Support. Now I got a clear picture instead of being swamped with facts. Thank you!

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:48:39 PM »
They should have you explain things at Support. Now I got a clear picture instead of being swamped with facts. Thank you!
You are quite welcome. Oh, you can also do a bit at a time; there's no need to plow through all the words before hitting publish.

Offline gardnuk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 09:59:07 PM »
You are quite welcome. Oh, you can also do a bit at a time; there's no need to plow through all the words before hitting publish.

Another question---can the x-ray business be undone, uninstalled with little problem? Or is it a done deal?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:45:26 AM by gardnuk »

Offline gardnuk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 06:48:56 AM »

You mean this is done in a reader?

Offline hardnox

• Sierra Gold Country
    • View Profile
    • Daniel Phalen
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 05:13:36 PM »
My ancient historical (see first in sig) uses a lot of Sumerian names and places. I provided a pronunciation guide in the front matter and still got some feedback from neighbor readers regarding difficulty with terms.

It seems to me this could be an issue for writers of SFF as well.

I just went through the process to enable X-Ray, worked the list after they scanned the ebook, and approved for publication.  I got 153 items from the X-ray scan. I typed in or copy/pasted 72 from my own pronunciation guide, Used 6 Wikipedia refs. The rest I marked No for showing description to readers--things with only 1 or 2 references, words like House, my name from back matter, names from my Acknowledgements, etc. Total elapsed time: 4 hours, my effort: 2.5 hours. I'm waiting as I write to see what I get.

Also exchanged emails with Libbie Hawker because I saw that a book of hers has X-ray enabled. She didn't even know it, didn't know what it was for. We both wondered if the enabling was bot work based on some algo interpretation of content.

Dan Phalen | Website

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 11:38:49 PM »
You mean this is done in a reader?
No, KDP will bring up a web app.

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 07:36:35 AM »
Another question---can the x-ray business be undone, uninstalled with little problem? Or is it a done deal?

You can't undo it once it's done, but you can go and remove individual words and phrases you no longer want activated. It's explained under "Adding and Removing Content." https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G202187230