Author Topic: Can't email file to Kindle  (Read 1056 times)  

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
Can't email file to Kindle
« on: February 21, 2018, 03:06:15 PM »
I'm trying to email a file to my Kindle to get a book. It's in many formats here: https://archive.org/details/JohnRossUnintendedConsequences

DOWNLOAD OPTIONS
download 1 file
ABBYY GZ download
download 1 file
DAISY download

For print-disabled users
download 1 file
EPUB download
download 1 file
FULL TEXT download
download 1 file
KINDLE download
download 1 file
PDF download
download 1 file
SINGLE PAGE PROCESSED JP2 ZIP download
download 1 file
TORRENT

I tried Kindle first of course. I also tried pdf. I don't know what to try next. What format works with the new O2?

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Can't email file to Kindle
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 04:58:41 PM »
The .mobi (kindle) should work just fine.

What happens when you try? Does it just not get to your Oasis? Or do you get a error message? I usually use the "sendtokindle" program on my kindle and right click on the downloaded file, but emailing to your oasis email address should work just fine.

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 05:49:52 PM »
None of them show extensions so I don't know what it is. I get this in an email from them.

The Kindle Personal Document Service can convert and deliver the following types of documents:
Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
Rich Text Format (.rtf)
HTML (.htm, .html)
Text (.txt) documents
Archived documents (zip , x-zip) and compressed archived documents
Mobi book

Images that are of type JPEGs (.jpg), GIFs (.gif), Bitmaps (.bmp), and PNG images (.png).
Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents are delivered without conversion to Kindle DX, Second Generation and Latest Generation Kindles.

Adobe PDF (.pdf) can be converted to Kindle format and delivered on an experimental basis.

If the document that failed belonged to one of the above document types, please ensure the document is not password protected or encrypted. Note that the Latest Generation Kindles support password protected PDFs.

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 06:04:32 PM »
I just found this page with file extensions.

John Ross - Unintended Consequences.djvu
                 11-Aug-2015 04:52
                 11.4M

John Ross - Unintended Consequences.gif
                 11-Aug-2015 02:09

John Ross - Unintended Consequences.pdf
                 11-Aug-2015 01:53
                 3.8M

John Ross - Unintended Consequences_abbyy.gz
                 11-Aug-2015 03:56
                 29.7M

John Ross - Unintended Consequences_djvu.txt
                 11-Aug-2015 04:53
                 2.5M

John Ross - Unintended Consequences_djvu.xml
                 11-Aug-2015 04:14
                 23.6M

John Ross - Unintended Consequences_jp2.zip
                 11-Aug-2015 02:09
                 458.9M

John Ross - Unintended Consequences_scandata.xml
                 11-Aug-2015 04:52

JohnRossUnintendedConsequences_archive.torrent
                 13-Jan-2017 23:05

JohnRossUnintendedConsequences_files.xml

JohnRossUnintendedConsequences_meta.sqlite
                 27-Jun-2016 06:32

JohnRossUnintendedConsequences_meta.xml
                 1,017.0B

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 06:16:34 PM »
Best bet is probably the .txt version. . . . . the Zon should turn it into kindle format without difficulty, though it might lack the formatting (chapter breaks, etc.) that you're used to with Zon purchased books.

PDF will almost certainly not work well.

I'm not sure what most of those others are! :o

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 06:34:17 PM »
When I hover over the list that is on the right on that page, the kindle says .mobi as extension. Is that not how that one downloads?

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »
That's interesting because when I mouse over them I don't get extensions, just the blue arrow to download them. I'm going to try the Kindle one again, just to see what happens when I email it anew. It downloads to my pc fine, it's just when I email it they tell me there's a problem.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »
I haven't actually tried to download it, I just see that it shows .mobi by hovering. When you look at the file after downloading, does it say .mobi at that point?
If it does, I am not sure why it doesn't work. The Oasis should work like any other kindles as far as emailing files. Surely there has to be one of these files you can get on it. Seems to be about every option listed.

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:42:39 PM »
I've thrown in the towel but tomorrow I'll call the phone number in the error email Amazon sends and see if they can help me figure it out. And no, I can't find extensions even after downloading them, probably part if not all of the problem.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 10:08:03 AM »
I've thrown in the towel but tomorrow I'll call the phone number in the error email Amazon sends and see if they can help me figure it out. And no, I can't find extensions even after downloading them, probably part if not all of the problem.

Your PC probably is hiding the extension (that is the default display mode). If you right click and select Properties you should be able to see the full file name.

If you use email, the account you are sending from has to be white-listed, perhaps you have not done that. I would consider installing Send To Kindle app, which lets you send larger files, modify the Title and Author, select the devices/apps to send it to etc.:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/pc

And if there is a problem with the file you want to upload/convert, it will tell you right away.

I was able to download Kindle format from the web page you referenced to my iPad and open it with Kindle app. So nothing wrong with the file.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:11:28 AM by tsemple »

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 05:02:51 PM »
2 things come to mind.

1. Have you added your email address into Manage Your Kindle settings? No, and the email is ignored.

2. If the kindle address is for a PC, it wont be sent to the PC. You have to go into Manage Your Kindle and manually push it.

Sending mobi's is the best way.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 06:13:59 PM »
2 things come to mind.

1. Have you added your email address into Manage Your Kindle settings? No, and the email is ignored.

2. If the kindle address is for a PC, it wont be sent to the PC. You have to go into Manage Your Kindle and manually push it.

Sending mobi's is the best way.

You cannot push documents to Kindle for PC. If a supported document type (e.g. .mobi) is on the local file system, then Kindle for PC can open it.

But again, the Send To Kindle app is the best way - more flexible and convenient than having to authorize a mailing address and then perhaps chewing up space in Sent Mail folder (if that is a concern).

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 06:55:13 PM »
You cannot push documents to Kindle for PC. If a supported document type (e.g. .mobi) is on the local file system, then Kindle for PC can open it.

But again, the Send To Kindle app is the best way - more flexible and convenient than having to authorize a mailing address and then perhaps chewing up space in Sent Mail folder (if that is a concern).

When I say push, I mean click on the book, and click to send it to the PC app. Manually push it through.

The PC app is different to the rest - Amazon wont send it directly there, you have to do it manually. I dont know why.

All other devices, you email to the device's address, and the book appears there. But NOT the PC. The PC version has to be requested to be sent from Manage Your Kindle page.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 03:41:56 AM »
Re the Kindle app for PC . . . . the point of emailing or using send to kindle is usually to get a file type not supported by kindle to be converted to kindle to be readable. The assumption is, i think, that if you're sending it to the kindle app for PC there's no need for this as you already have it in a format that you can read it on your PC, albeit, not through the Kindle app. And, as tsemple notes, if it is a compatible file, the app will be able to open it. So that's why Amazon haven't gone to the trouble to support the PC version of the app in that way. Plus, I suspect it's a very low percentage of people who use it.

Note that if you send it to another device via emailing or send to kindle and you have the archiving function turned on -- which you can do for sure with StK but not sure about emailing -- then it gets stored in your library as a document. Having done that, I believe you can now send it to any other device you want, including the app for PC (or, I presume, Mac).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:43:30 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
I am trying to send it to my 9th gen Oasis 2. I've double checked and the email I am sending from is in the list of emails to accept. I just found that where most files say .docx or .jpg or .pdf or whatever this one only says file, not even .file so I think that's part of the problem. I emailed the site that has the book to see if they can assist.

I d/l that send to Kindle app. I'll restart the computer later and see if it does anything. I appreciate all the help.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 11:21:12 PM »
I am trying to send it to my 9th gen Oasis 2. I've double checked and the email I am sending from is in the list of emails to accept. I just found that where most files say .docx or .jpg or .pdf or whatever this one only says file, not even .file so I think that's part of the problem. I emailed the site that has the book to see if they can assist.

I d/l that send to Kindle app. I'll restart the computer later and see if it does anything. I appreciate all the help.

So now I remember the Windows Explorer option: hide extension of known file types which is on by default (Im almost 100% Mac these days). That is why I suggested checking the file Properties, which should show you this detail. But .mobi is a known file type only if youve installed Kindle for PC or some other app that registers it as a file type.

For sure if the file does not actually have an extension sending via email isnt going to work, nd Send To Kindle will not offer to open a file without an extension, either. If you click the Kindle download link and the resultant file has no file extension, it might be issue with the web site failing to name the file properly for download.

If you determine the file has no extension, you could try adding one (.mobi) by Rename.

Offline GirlFriday

• Love One Another
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 09:09:19 PM »
Just connect your Kindle to your computer via USB and drag and drop the file into the documents folder. Quick and simple.
Proud owner of a Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, and Phone X

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 03:37:55 AM »
Just connect your Kindle to your computer via USB and drag and drop the file into the documents folder. Quick and simple.

I'm fairly certain LDB knows he can do that. But, still: if the file type isn't a compatible one, he won't be able to open the book. :(

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)