Author Topic: Authors + Fire owners: .mobi created by Kindlegen not appearing?  (Read 175 times)  

Offline Lummox JR

• Syracuse, NY
    • View Profile
    • When I Become a Supervillain
Authors + Fire owners: .mobi created by Kindlegen not appearing?
« on: February 23, 2018, 12:36:55 PM »
I'm nearing publication for my next book, and have been figuring out some formatting stuff to see if I can do things any better. Along the way I discovered a bug in Kindle Previewer 3 that took me ages to figure out a workaround for, but the process of doing so led me to decide on using Sigil for future .epub creation needs instead of relying on Calibre as I have in the past. I don't actually use the .epub for anything other than generating my final .mobi file, though, that I upload to KDP. I used to create that .mobi with Calibre, but now I use Kindlegen; I did that for my 3rd book, and also a new edition of my 2nd book.

So here's the problem: I have a 5th-gen Kindle Fire and wanted to see how my .mobi looked on it. I hooked it up to my computer via USB and brought the book file over--and nothing appeared!

I then tried this with other .mobi files I'd made with Kindlegen, and no dice. But the .mobi files created by Calibre conversion showed up right away. So then I thought, okay, I'll run the new book through Calibre to make a .mobi and see if that works on my Fire--and it does.

I've asked this on the KDP support forums too, and so far the best answer I have (though it's early yet) is to create a dummy book on KDP, upload an .epub, download the .mobi they create (wouldn't that also be created by Kindlegen, though?), and use that. This seems like kind of a pain in the butt, so I'm not really very willing to go that route. What I want is to make sure the .mobi I create looks good on a Kindle Fire.

Any thoughts on what could be going wrong? I can't imagine for the life of me that I'm the only author with a Kindle Fire who wants to field-test his files before an upload.

Bonus question: Why is it when I use the KindleUnpack plugin in Calibre, the files inside the .mobi created by Kindlegen say the language is en-ca, when it should be en or en-us since it's en-US in the original .epub?
Aspiring supervillain, torturer of words, rantcrafter extraordinaire, and unlicensed blurb doctor

Standalones     Paranormal Curio series

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vox - Romance Provocateur
Re: Authors + Fire owners: .mobi created by Kindlegen not appearing?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 01:28:11 PM »
I upload my Sigil .epub to KDP. I use the online previewer and also download the .mobi created on KDP and ship it to my Android phone, my 5th-gen Fire, and my ancient Kindle Paperwhite to make sure everything looks hunky-dory before I click on PUBLISH. I keep the KDP-created .mobi on file for giveaways and such, and to upload to retail sites that allow uploads of multiple formats.
Romance provocateur. Manic stealth author. Fearless gourmet. An epicurean anarchist relentlessly in pursuit of a foolproof cure for ennui. Committed (thrice).
A multi-published hybrid author of romance, erotic romance, and erotica since 2008, Mercedes Vox writes short stories, novellas, and novels with characters running the gamut of human sexual orientation and gender identity. Mercedes resides in a quaint seaside town on Cape Cod with a loving partner and a small menagerie of bossy critters.
Mercedes Vox | Website | Twitter

Offline Lummox JR

• Syracuse, NY
    • View Profile
    • When I Become a Supervillain
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 10:39:51 PM »
I upload my Sigil .epub to KDP. I use the online previewer and also download the .mobi created on KDP and ship it to my Android phone, my 5th-gen Fire, and my ancient Kindle Paperwhite to make sure everything looks hunky-dory before I click on PUBLISH. I keep the KDP-created .mobi on file for giveaways and such, and to upload to retail sites that allow uploads of multiple formats.

That was the same advice I got, but I'm utterly confused as to why Kindlegen--Amazon's recommended tool for this purpose--is creating a .mobi that the Fire won't recognize.
Aspiring supervillain, torturer of words, rantcrafter extraordinaire, and unlicensed blurb doctor

Standalones     Paranormal Curio series

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:12:25 PM »
I have a Fire 5th generation. It displays my downloaded "mobi" from the KDP platform just fine.

I don't understand why that's a bother! You've got to upload your book some time, and it will be converted on the KDP platform to its final form. Why is it more of a bother to do that online than by running Kindlegen? I would think that Amazon's software for converting ebooks is going to be much more sophisticated than the software you can download to your computer, so no, I don't think it's just going to be Kindlegen on a different platform.

I upload a Sigil-generated, validated epub, as I have been doing since January 2012. I've never had one fail to convert or to be unavailable on my Fire tablet (first generation for three or four years, more recently fifth generation).
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com