Author Topic: Page reads must affect rank in the Amazon store!  (Read 585 times)  

Offline Steven Slavick

• View Profile
    • Sydney Bristow
Page reads must affect rank in the Amazon store!
« on: February 23, 2018, 06:59:05 PM »
Many authors have stated that page reads don't affect rank on Amazon. I haven't done any promotions on my books for at least a year while I've been writing in a new genre and trying to build a couple books before promoting them. Yesterday, one of my novels was ranked around 925,000 in the Kindle store. Today, after someone read 90 pages of that book via KU (and without any customers purchasing it or lending it), the book ranked around 210,000.

I know rank rises and falls depending on the day of the week, not to mention the month of the year, but how could this book drop so "low" in rank without selling a single copy or having any page reads since a few days before Christmas?

A few of my other books that haven't had any sales or page reads in months are still past 800,000 in rank, so if page reads don't affect rank, why has this book made such an "impact" on rank when the others haven't?

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
Re: Page reads must affect rank in the Amazon store!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:07:14 PM »
Is the book in KU? Then it could've been borrowed and that does affect rank.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog | Video Courses

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:08:28 PM »
You cannot see when someone borrows the book. These are often called "ghost borrows". The page reads probably went along with a borrow that was the actual cause of the rank increase.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Offline Steven Slavick

• View Profile
    • Sydney Bristow
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 07:11:36 PM »
Hmmm. I thought borrows were the equivalent of a sale, which would then show up as a sale on my dashboard. Is that line of thought wrong?

Online MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 07:27:26 PM »
They don't show up as sales. We never know when someone borrows a book until page reads show up, but we can guess based on rank. When there's a change in rank that is more than just a few thousand, you can assume someone borrowed the book. When page reads show up, you know they are reading it.

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 07:33:28 PM »
Also, while that looks like a huge jump in the store, that is literally the equivalent of one borrow or sale. You had the borrow and then someone read pages after. The borrow is what changed the rank.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Steven Slavick

• View Profile
    • Sydney Bristow
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 07:38:29 PM »
Okay. Every time any given novel of mine had drastically jumped in rank, I'd always noticed KU page reads had increased, but if everyone seems to think it was a borrow, that is not recorded on our dashboard, that changed the rank and not the page reads, I guess I'll throw in the towel and accept that as the truth.

Offline Bec

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • R.M. Allinson's blog
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 07:42:33 PM »
Okay. Every time any given novel of mine had drastically jumped in rank, I'd always noticed KU page reads had increased, but if everyone seems to think it was a borrow, that is not recorded on our dashboard, that changed the rank and not the page reads, I guess I'll throw in the towel and accept that as the truth.

Er..... the borrow and page reads are related.

Someone borrows the book through KU. Your rank goes up. They start reading it. You get pages reads show up on your reports.

R.M. Allinson

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »
Borrows do not show up on your sales dashboard. It's frustrating because they used to before KU 2.0 and there's no good reason not to give us that data, but that's just life with General Zon.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline Steven Slavick

• View Profile
    • Sydney Bristow
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 07:48:53 PM »
Borrows do not show up on your sales dashboard. It's frustrating because they used to before KU 2.0 and there's no good reason not to give us that data, but that's just life with General Zon.

All right, folks. Thanks for the background. And I love this Amazon/Superman II reference. Awesome!

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 11:12:24 PM »
Hmmm. I thought borrows were the equivalent of a sale, which would then show up as a sale on my dashboard. Is that line of thought wrong?
No. They are the equivalent of a sale as far as ranking goes, but they don't show up anywhere on your dashboard. Only the page reads do.

As to the leap in ranking, there could have been loads of borrows but no one has yet got round to reading it.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 11:47:23 PM »
As to the leap in ranking, there could have been loads of borrows but no one has yet got round to reading it.

This used to catch me, too. Back when my numbers were so small that they would flatline for a week or two, I would see a title jump in ranking, but wouldn't see a corresponding tick in the sale chart and nothing in the page reads chart. Then, a week later I would see three hundred pages show up in the page reads chart and the ranking of the title would continue its downward march. That's when it began to click. The person who borrowed the book in KU the week before causing the rank jump, had finally gotten around to reading it a week later.
The Wrath - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2: 95%

City of Time: 29%

The Sheriff of Monster Town: 25%
War is coming. They think he can be their leader. He's not so sure.
D Glenn Casey | My author\\\\\\\'s blog | My artist\\\\\\\'s blog

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 12:06:54 AM »
This used to catch me, too. Back when my numbers were so small that they would flatline for a week or two, I would see a title jump in ranking, but wouldn't see a corresponding tick in the sale chart and nothing in the page reads chart. Then, a week later I would see three hundred pages show up in the page reads chart and the ranking of the title would continue its downward march. That's when it began to click. The person who borrowed the book in KU the week before causing the rank jump, had finally gotten around to reading it a week later.
It's also true that if the customer reads the book offline, the page reads won't show up until he goes online. That could be months down the line if your customer isn't a regular internet user. I have had page reads turn up months after I've taken a book out of select. My six book series is nearly two thousand pages and I might suddenly have all those pages read in one day. I know it's riveting :) but I doubt anyone has read it all in one day.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 07:44:25 AM »
Just for the record, you can see borrows (sort of) in Author Central. Where it shows the book's rank, that rank will jump every time there's a borrow, so if you see a jump without a corresponding sale, that has to have been caused by a borrow. If the book is ranking fairly well to begin with, the jump won't be as noticeable.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter