NetGalley

Author Topic: The Audible Romance Pay Per Minute Rate for Q4 2017 is $0.0004778  (Read 11282 times)  

Offline scarletlanternpub

• View Profile
Re: The Audible Romance Pay Per Minute Rate for Q4 2017 is $0.0004778
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »
Has anyone heard/seen anything about these supposed bonuses yet? My email to ACX to remove my books from the romance package has also gone unanswered so far.

Offline lyndabelle

• California
    • View Profile
    • Lynda Belle's Blog/Website
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
Has anyone heard/seen anything about these supposed bonuses yet? My email to ACX to remove my books from the romance package has also gone unanswered so far.
Mine too. It was positive to see the addition to the pot of payouts, but I'm guessing, you had to get a decent amount of minutes listened to qualify.  ;D

Lynda Belle | Website | Amazon Author Page

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2018, 11:28:54 AM »
I don't think anybody has heard any bonus info yet. And the word I got from on high is that no, authors will not be allowed to remove any books. Unfortunately.

Offline scarletlanternpub

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2018, 12:17:38 PM »
I don't think anybody has heard any bonus info yet. And the word I got from on high is that no, authors will not be allowed to remove any books. Unfortunately.

Ugh, well no more books of mine will be going into this program.

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2018, 01:45:52 PM »

But, of course, Audible can remove your book at any time for whatever reason. As usual, Amazon/Audible holds all the cards.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline X. Aratare

• View Profile
    • Raythe Reign
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2018, 02:14:24 PM »

I'm trying not to have a conniption fit here. Why WHY WHY WHY did I sign up for this?  I got $15 and change from the program!  I'm so disgusted at myself and at ACX. This is unconscionable not to let us out. No one in their right mind would have accepted this rate. 

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2018, 02:32:44 PM »
Im not in audible or romance so none of this affects me, but Im really confused as to Amazons strategy. Theyve managed to lock up I think its 10,000 romance books into this program, but given how its playing out, surely the more experienced authors will never sign up another book. So, did they do this just to lock up 10,000 indie romance books? How do they intend to attract new content? Are they assuming youll all get over it and think a little something is better than nothing? And even if authors do think that, when it comes to audio the cost of production is high, not to mention the narrators wont like this either. How is anyone supposed to earn back their investment, much less make profit?

I dont understand what Amazon expect to happen next.

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2018, 04:01:09 PM »
Im not in audible or romance so none of this affects me, but Im really confused as to Amazons strategy. Theyve managed to lock up I think its 10,000 romance books into this program, but given how its playing out, surely the more experienced authors will never sign up another book. So, did they do this just to lock up 10,000 indie romance books? How do they intend to attract new content? Are they assuming youll all get over it and think a little something is better than nothing? And even if authors do think that, when it comes to audio the cost of production is high, not to mention the narrators wont like this either. How is anyone supposed to earn back their investment, much less make profit?

Probably run a contest offering publication to the winner, but ya gotta put your book into Audible to enter.

Lorain O'Neil

Offline Allyson J.

• South Carolina, USA
  • Writer. Traveler. Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • AllysonJeleyne.com
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »

Agreed. This is disastrous from every angle. It sucks for authors, who won't be putting any more work into the program. It sucks for narrators, who won't agree to royalty share because of the program. And it must suck for Amazon/Audible, because readers will burn through 10k books, get bored, and cancel the subscription.

I am humiliated for putting a series into this program.

Victorian, Edwardian, and Jazz Age romance
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Mailing List

Offline sela

• Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »
Yes, that's the last audiobook I put into the program.

Offline Rachelle Ayala

• Love is always in the air.
    • View Profile
    • Rachelle's Window
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2018, 08:11:34 PM »
A note about the bonuses was sent, but no amount was posted. Just expect to receive it in the same account you receive regular royalty distributions [like that is so important]. And it is relative to how much customers listened to each title.

Rachelle Ayala | Blog | Author Website

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2018, 01:46:06 AM »
I dont blame anyone for being frustrated and Id be angry as all heck. Thank you to those who confirmed I have not misunderstood the situation.

Amazons intent is to drive down prices and put competitors out of business by not needing to make much profit, but if you analyze where this leads they are making some fairly wild assumptions.

Driving down pricing will push suppliers out of business until eventually the lowest cost ones are all that are left. Initially, Amazon force all suppliers to cut margin and costs until they reduce the quality of the product, but eventually they cannot live on the small margin left and they leave the field. New suppliers, quite often living in poorer countries, step into the breach producing even cheaper and poorer quality products. If Amazon squeeze their margins by making them use their advertizing, then eventually they cannot live on the little margin left either. If Amazon keep it up, then they will end up with no suppliers at all. There is a limit to this game.

Look at the other end of the equation, which are the shareholders. At the moment they are making money, not from Amazons margins, but the perception of its value. I think the current share price is around $1,000, despite Amazon making very small margins compared to its turnover (realistically Amazon dont have the turnover they claim because they are only a middle man - the bulk of the product sales are a pass-through expense where Amazon skim off a percentage - that is not the same as say Coca-Cola where they own and control the product and production). How high can Amazons share price really go? What happens when it taps out? How will the shareholders continue to earn if Amazon dont know how to be genuinely profitable? There is a limit to the share price.

Short-term thinking always shoots you in the foot because you end up paying the piper in the end. This audio situation is a warning about where Amazon intend to take the subscription services. If they dont care about losing all the romance writers in audio, why will they care about KU?

I suspect Amazon figure the content mills will feed them the content. Those engines will pay ghostwriters to pump out same-old, same-old, and they will be happy to take significantly lower margins for it. Those cheap, mass production engines will keep the voracious readers in the subscriptions happy, whether that is  print, audio or ebooks.

Whatever indie writing was all about in the first place I think it is changing face. Amazon created a new reader base with the subscriptions, one that seems to be satisfied with repeatable and replicable niche content. Like a herd, they run from one trendy niche to the next. I suppose that can be commodified, which is why Amazon think they can get away with what theyre doing with audible romance.

Just because Amazon created a new market of voracious subscription readers does not mean the original readers (the ones the TPs have always sold to) suddenly wanted these niches. I believe the reader who was around before Amazon is still with us. As Amazons manufactured subscription markets become less palatable by the day, I expect more of us will go wide to find the readers who will pay a fair price for our books. It is only a question of where each of us draws the line, and not if Amazon will take us to the wall if we let them.

Offline TheLass

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2018, 04:17:05 AM »
I just don't understand how anyone could have signed up for this in the first place.
A 7 year contract, no way to terminate early, no idea what the rates will be. 7 Years?!

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2018, 04:45:15 AM »
Check your bank accounts. I received my bonus. It was $140. I only made $5 in the program (some of my stuff only went live at the tail end of the quarter). Its more than I thought they would dole out and nowhere near enough.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline okey dokey

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2018, 04:52:18 AM »
If Amazon won't LET YOU OUT of the deal, then
what Terms of Service can you violate so Amazon will KICK YOU OUT

That might be the way to go

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2018, 05:30:24 AM »
I got $25 and I had no minutes for the period.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog | Video Courses | Quick & Dirty Guide to AMS

Offline Vidya

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2018, 06:27:30 AM »
If Amazon won't LET YOU OUT of the deal, then what Terms of Service can you violate so Amazon will KICK YOU OUT

I would assume one way would be to post the same audiobook on various different sites.

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2018, 09:01:34 AM »
Payment hits banks this morning. I got a bonus over 5 times the original amount, which adds up to a fairly nice payment and appears to be what they are giving. Problem of it being a bonus, of course, but it does seem to signify that they're serious. I don't know how they thought people wouldn't be stunned originally, though.

As to why people put books in it--because if Amazon is doing something anyway that will greatly affect the landscape, you need to choose to be in, or to lose out. Most people put backlist in. Some authors have said their audio sales have remained steady since the subscription plan started (whether they had books in it or not), but many people's audio sales dropped way off, especially of backlist. That has been true for me. (It's not 7 years BTW, it's remainder of contract. That could be more like 3 years or less for folks like me with older audio. It would be 7 years if you put in frontlist, however.)

This payment does help, as I just wrote a check yesterday for almost $4,000 for my latest ACX book, and I had been wondering whether to go ahead with the contract for the next one. Now I'll probably gamble again and do it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:23:47 AM by Usedtoposthere »

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2018, 09:15:32 AM »
I just don't understand how anyone could have signed up for this in the first place.
A 7 year contract, no way to terminate early, no idea what the rates will be. 7 Years?!

I read the contract very carefully and knew exactly what I was getting into with this program.

My books are not well known and these particular sweet romances were languishing in ACX, despite my best attempts to promote them on social media.  I thought it would be a good way to get more exposure for the books and maybe get something back for my narrators, who had agreed to do a royalty split.

I also plan to put my first books in each series into the program.  If listeners like them, they can buy the next ones or read them in ebook or paperback.

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Online Rose Andrews

• Washington State, U.S.A.
  • Vintage Love <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »
The more I read this thread, the more I realize how big time a bullet I dodged. It's honestly sickening that the value of creative work is being trashed on like this. Maybe I'm going too far in stating that Amazon doesn't understand or much less care about how hard authors work. I will avoid subscription programs at all cost from now on.

To our fellow authors stuck in this mess: I'm so sorry! I hope there is a way out of the program for your titles but at least for now you can refuse to put more in.

20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest

Online Rose Andrews

• Washington State, U.S.A.
  • Vintage Love <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2018, 09:53:51 AM »
I read the contract very carefully and knew exactly what I was getting into with this program.

My books are not well known and these particular sweet romances were languishing in ACX, despite my best attempts to promote them on social media.  I thought it would be a good way to get more exposure for the books and maybe get something back for my narrators, who had agreed to do a royalty split.

I also plan to put my first books in each series into the program.  If listeners like them, they can buy the next ones or read them in ebook or paperback.
I apologize for the double post but I'm too lazy to go back and edit my previous post. :D

Lorri's comment in bold is the reason why audiobooks are starting to look more like a hassle to this author. I feel terrible that my titles are not making money in ACX and that the narrators basically worked for free. I have no idea what to do about this except to keep writing and marketing. It seems unfair that no only are authors getting screwed, but narrators too and their equipment is expensive! Anyway, this discussion is giving light to some serious issues in our business.

20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2018, 10:03:58 AM »
Many narrators already would not do royalty share, since Audible changed the contract terms. (Used to be up to 85% royalty. I have five books under those terms. Big difference between a 65% royalty and a 40% one.) Now there is much less upside potential. Although the bonus-included payout was quite good and about what I would have expected, I would guess that many more narrators will get out of royalty share entirely.

The narrator really matters. If you cannot get a great one, I would not do audio.

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2018, 10:10:15 AM »
Did the narrators get a matching bonus?

Lorain O'Neil

Offline T. M. Bilderback

• Friday the 13th comes on a Tuesday this month.
    • View Profile
    • T. M. Bilderback's Website
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2018, 10:27:00 AM »
Since the beginning of this thread, I've emailed ACX twice, asking to have my short story removed from the Romance Program.

All of the audiobooks that I have through ACX are royalty shares, and I'm stuck with 7-year deals with them...but, they begin expiring next year.

This is the email that I've just sent to ACX:

"To ACX:

I find it unfortunate that ACX has chosen to ignore my two emails asking that my short story audiobook, Heart Of Glass - A Short Story, be removed from the Romance Subscription Program.

That's fine.

I will not allow any of my audiobooks to be enrolled in other subscription programs.

I will withdraw my audiobooks one-by-one from distribution through ACX as each 7-year contract expires. The audiobooks will then belong to me, and will be distributed through other distributors.

I will no longer produce audiobooks through ACX, either by Royalty Share, or Pay-For-Production.

I will encourage fellow authors to avoid ACX if at all possible, and I will encourage them to distribute audiobooks through other distributors.

It's unfortunate that an author's (and narrator's) efforts to produce good stories are treated in such a callous and penny-ante manner.

T. M. Bilderback"

Of course, it won't make any difference, but it certainly helps my peace of mind!

T. M. Bilderback | Newsletter | Facebook

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2018, 10:36:44 AM »
Did the narrators get a matching bonus?
If you're on royalty share, the bonus would be split in half.