Author Topic: Do remember your first rejection?  (Read 911 times)  

Offline Joseph Malik

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik:
Re: Do remember your first rejection?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 08:23:37 AM »
I don't remember the first rejection I got, but I sure as hell remember the last.

The last rejection slip I received for Dragon's Trail was personalized, and said that the writing was excellent, (my command of voice was "exceptional," which I thought was a very nice thing to say) and the story was strong, but there was no market for such a book. The editor encouraged me to write something else, and gave me a direct point of contact, as I'd submitted it during a period of open submissions.

I started my own publishing company a few months later. Dragon's Trail has now broken the Top 100 overall in every major ebook retailer and received mainstream critical acclaim.

Me, signing copies of a book with no market.
Dragon's Trail: 100%

The New Magic - 99% (in line edits)

Coin of the Realm - 5% (treatment complete)

The New Magic, coming in Autumn, 2018.
Website | Blog | Instagram

Offline Wisescarab

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 07:52:45 AM »
I recall mine. It was from Tors, back in the day when you had to mail everything. It was a rejection for a book that was, in hindsight, horrible. I still have it somewhere though.

Writer of fiction, teller of fantasy, and lover of nonsense. Because that's life!
S.D.Reeves | Website

Offline Stevej37334

• Mississippi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 08:03:04 PM »
I ended up with a big stack of form-style rejection letters back in the 1990s. Only one letter out of about 50 referred to my book directly and it wasn't very encouraging. I wrote a few more books anyway just for the heck of it and ended up trying indie publishing a couple of years ago for the first time. I haven't sold a lot of books but at least my books are available for purchase now and I still find that exciting regardless of what happens from here on out.

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Virginia McClain's Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
My first rejection was for a short story submitted to SF&F magazine. Standard form letter. I cherish it. I cherished all the rejections I received back when I was submitting stories to lit mags because it was the beginning of my career and all of those rejections meant that I was finally getting my stories out there. I did manage to get two short stories published with lit mags back in the day, but by the time I got around to having novels ready for publication, indie publishing was a real thing and I wasn't interested in pursuing trad anymore.
Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs & Formatting