NetGalley

Poll

What sort of covers do you wish there were more of?

SciFi
14 (17.3%)
Paranormal
8 (9.9%)
Contemporary
3 (3.7%)
Fantasy
18 (22.2%)
Mystery / Suspense / Thriller
10 (12.3%)
Romance - SciFi
2 (2.5%)
Romance - Paranormal
3 (3.7%)
Romance - Contemporary
3 (3.7%)
Romance - Fantasy
6 (7.4%)
Romance - Mystery / Suspense
3 (3.7%)
Romance - Interracial
4 (4.9%)
Comedy / Humor
5 (6.2%)
Romance - Historical
0 (0%)
YA / MG Fantasy
2 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: March 17, 2018, 07:41:35 PM

Author Topic: Premade covers...  (Read 1016 times)  

Offline Victoria Wright

• View Profile
Premade covers...
« on: March 10, 2018, 06:41:35 PM »
Let's talk cover art! I think the poll is pretty self-explanatory. Please pick up to three options, and feel free to chime in with comments if I left out a genre you're interested in or there's anything else you'd like to add. :)

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
Re: Premade covers...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 10:35:08 AM »
Can you add Comedy to the poll? It's like a black hole out there if you're writing the stuff. There aren't many premade covers with some kind of sight gag, that's for sure. There's also endless advice out there on SF/Fantasy/Romance covers, but zero on humo(u)r.

I'm curious what others think, because (for example) a Fantasy/Comedy can't be published with a premade swords 'n' sorcery cover, can it?

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »
The thing I'm always looking for in pre-made is "sets".

A lot of authors write in series and you buy a good pre-made and then get charged three times as much to have the second cover in the same series just to get continuity.

I wish more designers would make at least a trilogy of covers.
Also, and this is important to me, I hate it when the set all look identical except that the model is in a different position. I like colour variation on the background, so you can see at a glance that it is the same series but not the same book.

Offline wearywanderer64

• Spain
  • I wander lonely as a cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »
Comedy in all genres and three-cover premades.
amazon.com/images/I/51F2mQ5fyyL._SL125_.jpg[/img][/url]

Alex Mahon | Scribbling Tales

Offline Victoria Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 12:46:44 PM »
Can you add Comedy to the poll? It's like a black hole out there if you're writing the stuff. There aren't many premade covers with some kind of sight gag, that's for sure. There's also endless advice out there on SF/Fantasy/Romance covers, but zero on humo(u)r.

I'm curious what others think, because (for example) a Fantasy/Comedy can't be published with a premade swords 'n' sorcery cover, can it?

Good points, I've added it to the poll. :)

Offline KB_Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 12:59:04 PM »

A lot of authors write in series and you buy a good pre-made and then get charged three times as much to have the second cover in the same series just to get continuity.

Also, and this is important to me, I hate it when the set all look identical except that the model is in a different position. I like colour variation on the background, so you can see at a glance that it is the same series but not the same book.

All of this^^

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 10:05:23 PM »

Don't be afraid to ask if a designer will turn similar covers into a set for you. The reason a lot of designers don't like doing sets is because, if a set doesn't sell, you've spent double or triple the time working on something you can't make money from.

I can't speak for all designers, obviously, but if someone buys one of my premades and then comes back later to ask me to make more in the series, I'll usually give them the same price as for the premade, as long as they expect a similar level of work, and don't expect the same amount of changes as they would be entitled to for a custom cover.

Offline Dennis Chekalov

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 01:22:02 AM »
High and heroic fantasy.
They are always impossible to find.
Beta Reading $1/1000 words | Developmental Editing $5/1000 words | In-depth Professional Critique $20/1000 words

Offline Victoria Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 12:07:52 PM »
Don't be afraid to ask if a designer will turn similar covers into a set for you. The reason a lot of designers don't like doing sets is because, if a set doesn't sell, you've spent double or triple the time working on something you can't make money from.

I can't speak for all designers, obviously, but if someone buys one of my premades and then comes back later to ask me to make more in the series, I'll usually give them the same price as for the premade, as long as they expect a similar level of work, and don't expect the same amount of changes as they would be entitled to for a custom cover.

^That pretty much sums it up. Hard to justify the time spent on a 2 - 3 cover set when one doesn't have a buyer already lined up for them. On top of that, the average buyer kind of expects to get a discount if purchasing three covers at once, esp. in a series. >.<

High and heroic fantasy.
They are always impossible to find.

Ooh, I hear you on this. I'm curious though, what would you be looking for in terms of the art on a high or heroic fantasy premade? Maybe swords / daggers / warrior looking (wo)men or similar?

Offline Dragovian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 01:26:06 PM »
Maybe swords / daggers / warrior looking (wo)men or similar?
All of the above, really, particularly warriors and mages who don't look like mediocre cosplayers.

I've doubled my writing speed by playing on 4theWords. Come give it a try! My referral code is PFXBS32680.

Offline Dennis Chekalov

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 02:35:29 AM »
Beta Reading $1/1000 words | Developmental Editing $5/1000 words | In-depth Professional Critique $20/1000 words

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 02:45:47 AM »
Historical romance and urban fantasy would be nice, too.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 03:20:49 AM »
All of the above, really, particularly warriors and mages who don't look like mediocre cosplayers.
This in spades!!! Gotta love the male 'mage' who looks like a robed monk.  :-[

Offline EllieDee

• Drifting around Europe
  • Dreaming about the future...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »
My opinion- sci fi covers that aren't all 'spaceship swooping in front of an alien planet.'  Because there are a lot of SF genres that have nothing to do with space opera/space travel/military SF.  Also, there are sooooooo many of this kind of cover that even a really attractive, well-executed one just blends in with the rest on the storefront.

Opinion of a friend of mine- LGBT romance covers!  She's insisted I put the exclamation point in.  According to her:
G romance covers aren't that plentiful and what's out there is often not well crafted, obvious photoshopping, etc.
L romance covers are rare (so rare she'll grab a cover before starting to write, and match her characters to the ladies depicted on the cover).
Same story for MFF or FMF romance (probably because the market's so small).
And T romance covers just don't seem to exist, period.
MMF and MFM covers are pretty easy for her to find, "no complaints there."

From both of us, series, series, series.  Or make the prices more reasonable for adapting/crafting new covers.

Offline Victoria Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 12:38:37 PM »
^^ This. And fantasy creatures.

Images are too large, but here are some links:

http://samlib.ru/img/k/kowalewskaja_a_w/godsobakishletpriwet/ng12.jpg
http://www.fonstola.ru/pic/201310/1280x768/fonstola.ru-130876.jpg
http://avante.biz/wp-content/uploads/Demon/Demon-012.jpg

LoL -- those are some great images, but good luck to we designers finding suitable stock to fit those styles (love the first one esp., pretty epic warrior there). As a longtime fan of fantasy myself, I've always figured I'd have to hire an artist (and pay the much higher fees) for personal illustrations if I want to publish fantasy works with covers I deem suitable. My own drawing/illustration skills just aren't up to scratch for that level of work. v.v

My opinion- sci fi covers that aren't all 'spaceship swooping in front of an alien planet.'  Because there are a lot of SF genres that have nothing to do with space opera/space travel/military SF.  Also, there are sooooooo many of this kind of cover that even a really attractive, well-executed one just blends in with the rest on the storefront.

Opinion of a friend of mine- LGBT romance covers!  She's insisted I put the exclamation point in.  According to her:
G romance covers aren't that plentiful and what's out there is often not well crafted, obvious photoshopping, etc.
L romance covers are rare (so rare she'll grab a cover before starting to write, and match her characters to the ladies depicted on the cover).
Same story for MFF or FMF romance (probably because the market's so small).
And T romance covers just don't seem to exist, period.
MMF and MFM covers are pretty easy for her to find, "no complaints there."

From both of us, series, series, series.  Or make the prices more reasonable for adapting/crafting new covers.

Great feedback there. Your friend will be pleased to hear I've actually put some thought into lesbian premades and should have some (hopefully in sets, too) in the near-ish future. ^.^

With regard to the non-spaceship / alien planets sci-fi covers, what sort of elements would you have in mind? Mecha robots, exotic eye colors, futuristic looking cities, maybe some symbols like the classic DNA spiral integrated into the design? I'm sure I'm not the only designer who would like to cater to these needs. :)

This in spades!!! Gotta love the male 'mage' who looks like a robed monk.  :-[

Show me the stock for it and it shall be done! Seriously though, I know the feeling. I haven't found many images of suitable robed individuals, the bad cosplay effect is real.

Offline Victoria Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 12:39:53 PM »
Historical romance and urban fantasy would be nice, too.

Added historical romance to the poll.

Offline randallcfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 01:06:59 PM »
I'd add YA or MG fantasy to the list - though these ones are usually quite a bit more expensive because a lot of them require an illustration for the cover.

Offline Kathryn Jankowski

• View Profile
    • Kathryn Jankowski
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 01:31:45 PM »
I'd like to see more YA and MG fantasy with female protagonists of color. Where are the olive-skinned women and girls?

Kathryn Jankowski | website

Offline EllieDee

• Drifting around Europe
  • Dreaming about the future...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 02:39:26 PM »
For SF covers, I'd love to see futuristic cityscapes, maybe with a slightly dystopian vibe without going full Zombie Apocalypse/Prepper.  Also, people on the covers, maybe with cyborg parts or other body modifications.  Finally I'd love to see 'weird superscience' themes, but not superhero-y.

Offline Victoria Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 04:29:05 PM »
I'd add YA or MG fantasy to the list - though these ones are usually quite a bit more expensive because a lot of them require an illustration for the cover.

Added. So if you were looking for an affordable premade, what advice would you give designers in terms of content / tropes that might work for a cover in this genre?