Author Topic: Amazon Auth/Central Blurb Bug Driving Me Crazy  (Read 424 times)  

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Amazon Auth/Central Blurb Bug Driving Me Crazy
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:47:09 AM »
Just happened to notice that some of my blurbs have the wordmerge bug, and they've been that way for a while. That is, although the blurb looks fine on AuthorCentral, some of the words are smushed together on Amazon:

I thought I fixed this one yesterday, but it's still there. Note that I've made changes only at AuthorCentral.

IIRC, it's related to pasting text into the description on Author Central. Anyone remember the fix for this?

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Amazon Auth/Central Blurb Bug Driving Me Crazy
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 12:31:08 PM »
Edit the blurb in KDP, not Author Central.  See if that works.
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline danpadavona

• View Profile
    • Dan Padavona Author Page
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »
Yes, I've witnessed this unfortunate bug a few times with Author Central. It also messed up my header tags yesterday when I attempted to tweak my description.

Unfortunately, the only recourse is to edit in KDP and go through the review process. You'd think Amazon would separate the uploading of manuscripts and covers from price setting and description editing. They're wasting time and computing power every time an author tweaks a description or changes the price.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:56:29 AM by danpadavona »

Dan Padavona | Website | Facebook

Offline Amberlyn Holland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »
I have found that if I copy and paste to Notepad first and then copy and paste from there into Author Central it gets rid of whatever is causing the weird wordsmush.:)

Amberlyn Holland | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Dee J. Stone

• NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 03:35:44 PM »
It happens to me all the time. I just log back in to Author Central, edit the blurb, press space between the fused words, and then save. It should be fixed.

Dee J. Stone | Amazon Page | Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

Offline AaronShep

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:07:39 AM »
You're probably copying text that has line endings within the paragraph, but no spaces in front of the line breaks. Some software will interpret a line break as a space, but in HTML, line breaks are ignored completely. Line breaks should only go at the paragraph end.

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 01:57:20 AM »
Edit the HTML on Author Central. You can add <br /> where you want para endings.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC. (Mac soon)

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 04:07:42 PM »
I have found that if I copy and paste to Notepad first and then copy and paste from there into Author Central it gets rid of whatever is causing the weird wordsmush.:)

I tried that once, but it didn't fix it.

It happens to me all the time. I just log back in to Author Central, edit the blurb, press space between the fused words, and then save. It should be fixed.

Sometimes, as seen above, the problem doesn't show up in AuthorCentral. I'm thinking there are multiple bugs involved.

Yeah, I guess the KDP edit and wait cycle is necessary.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter